Wessex Campaign Dark Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was okay, but not more. Very similar to Marlin Flake -they're both fairly sweet and dark. I like their Classic Virginia and their Red Virginia Flake better. And, of course, their Burley Slice is a winner.

Good stuff! 8)  

If you want something slightly milder but in the same ballpark, you might give Solani Silver Flake a try. It's a totally underrated tabac IMO.

I jarred up a tin of Silver Flake several months ago and need to revisit. I thought it was extremely mild with little flavor right out of the tin though.

I love BCDF and smoke it on a regular basis. I have never found it to bite even when I smoke it moist out of the tin. I would suggest drying the tobacco some and sipping slowly on your pipe. It is one of the least bitey VA's I have come across. Maybe a different pipe would help as well. Some blends just work better in some pipes and I have never figured out the why to that one.

I always smoke mine in a group 4-5 sized pipe and usually in Dublins, Apples and Billiards.

I find it to be very enjoyable and have never experienced any bite from it. Here's my review:

A very rich tasting medium strength dark Virginia. Earthy with some hay/grass notes to go with the natural dark stewed fruit sweetness of the Virginia. Some sugar, molasses, and the barest hint of spice in the flavor mix doesn't make this a complex flake, but it may make it a satisfying experience for the dark Virginia connoisseur. Due to the topping, it's sweeter than your average dark Va. without detracting much from the tobacco. Has a slightly more than mild nic-hit. It never bites or gets harsh, no matter how much you push it, and has a very consistent taste all the way through. Depending upon your preference, it may need a light dry time. Burns clean, cool and smooth at a reasonable rate for a broken flake. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl. Needs slightly more than an average number of relights. Has a nice after taste, and room note. An all day smoke.

I didn't find this tobacco to be overly moist at all, pretty much the right dryness for packing right out of the tin. I should have prefaced my post knowing that I have bite issues with many Virginias. Seems to be a personal sensitivity thing.

I also enjoy it. Was able to trade for several tins a few years back, so they have some pretty good age on them now. Just cracked a tin last month and if I control my cravings, (highly unlikely) I should be able to pace it out for another month or so.

Natch

I have a tin just waiting to be cracked. Almost did but going to finish a jar of McLelland Red & Black. I have high hopes for this one!

Old Nate":ptnpii6s said:
I have a tin just waiting to be cracked. Almost did but going to finish a jar of McLelland Red & Black. I have high hopes for this one!
Hey, it's an Old Nate sighting!

Welcome back to the fold brother!

:bball:

Cheers,

RR

Was gifted a sample and I thought it excellent, no bite. Gonna pick up a tin if I ever come across it.

Brewdude":5o5qud6l said:
Old Nate":5o5qud6l said:
Hey, it's an Old Nate sighting!

Welcome back to the fold brother!

:bball:

Cheers,

RR
Thanks, brother! Big things happening on my end! Hoping to be on here like I was, soon.