What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewdude":ujhrri0j said:
Just started this-

41bF-0YMHSL._AC_US218_.jpg

Only a little way in, but so far it's a fascinating read!

Cheers,

RR
Thanks to you, I bought it and received it today.

Currently into L'expédition allemande à l'île d'Anticosti (The German Expedition to Anticosti Island).

Davy Jones":cgy8weu9 said:
Brewdude":cgy8weu9 said:
Just started this-

41bF-0YMHSL._AC_US218_.jpg

Only a little way in, but so far it's a fascinating read!

Cheers,

RR
Thanks to you, I bought it and received it today.
And just today, I finally finished it!

Have to say that it was a very long and detailed read. At times I got bogged down in the details and footnotes, of which there are plenty. In this, one has to read carefully.

Being as the author was actually present during this period as a correspondent and personally witnessed much of what transpired, as well as having direct access to the captured documents I can only conclude that his account is an accurate one.  

It's very graphic in part and quite sobering. One of the most gripping accounts of the period I've read.

Highly recommended, but do set aside some time for this.

Cheers,

RR

Blackhorse":dmlkba1q said:
So, is “Fezziwig” very Dickens in style and character...or is it something else entirely?
Yes, it is a novel based on the Fezziwig from Dicken's A Christmas Carol. I love Dicken's novels, so I'm really looking forward to this. I have heard some really good reviews of it. I will update as I progress.

Rogue Protocol: The Murderbot Diaries - Kindle Edition

Rogue Protocol is the third entry in Martha Wells's
Hugo, Nebula, Alex, and Locus Award-winning,
New York Times and USA Today bestselling series,
The Murderbot Diaries.

Martha Wells is one of the most loved SciFi authors...
rivaling Lois McMaster Bujold for the queen’s crown.

SimpleMan...I think my favorite Dickens is (are) The Pickwick Papers. With all his ponderous grim stories it’s good to know the great Dickens had both a subtle and slapstick sense of humor.

Blackhorse":rcghyfr5 said:
SimpleMan...I think my favorite Dickens is (are) The Pickwick Papers. With all his ponderous grim stories it’s good to know the great Dickens had both a subtle and slapstick sense of humor.
Yes, very good. I read The Pickwick Papers for the first time Summer before last. Thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorites still remain A Christmas Carol (the book is so much better than any of the movies) and David Copperfield. I also enjoy The Old Curiosity Shop. I guess I am just an old soul. :lol:

I discovered that I had downloaded the 4th in the series...”Exit Trategies: The Murderbot Diaries. Finished that one too. Really well written and fun series.

I finally pulled up a novella I have been saving for some time...”The Flowers of Vashnoi: Vorkosigan Saga”. (Kindle) The Vorkosigan Saga was the recipient of the first Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Series. That was 2017.

Stick":72alcj0y said:
Brewdude":72alcj0y said:
And I'd love a new rec if you have one in you.

Cheers,

RR
Hey Rande,

Oooooo, I've got loads up my sleeve!

For a change in pace, how about a modern mountaineering epic...

Touching the Void, by Joe Simpson.

… I doubt you'll be disappointed.  :)
Read "Touching the Void" recently guv'nor. Held my interest right enough, but have to admit that much of the technical jargon was lost on me as I'm not a climber as you are. Still, I got the general idea and it was amazing that the author managed it at all!

I've tried to get in the movie but sadly it isn't available through my local library. Pity, that. Great rec though mate and keep them coming!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":qe3l0lrp said:
Stick":qe3l0lrp said:
Brewdude":qe3l0lrp said:
And I'd love a new rec if you have one in you.

Cheers,

RR
Hey Rande,

Oooooo, I've got loads up my sleeve!

For a change in pace, how about a modern mountaineering epic...

Touching the Void, by Joe Simpson.

… I doubt you'll be disappointed.  :)
Read "Touching the Void" recently guv'nor. Held my interest right enough, but have to admit that much of the technical jargon was lost on me as I'm not a climber as you are. Still, I got the general idea and it was amazing that the author managed it at all!

I've tried to get in the movie but sadly it isn't available through my local library. Pity, that. Great rec though mate and keep them coming!

Cheers,

RR
Well done mate. I've met both Joe Simpson and Simon Yates; both interesting and very different characters. The film would be great as it would fill in the technical gaps that you allude to.

A novel that George Orwell once referred to as “a dirty book worth reading.” Henry Miller’s “Tropic of Cancer.”

516jj8i8TsL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just finished reading this. It's an unauthorized bio of Stevie Nicks and her ascendancy to the the fairy godmother of R&R through Buckingham/Nicks in the pre-Fleetwood Mac Days through her solo career and up to the present.

She has embarked on a fresh Fleetwood Mac tour which will bring her to Phoenix this coming week and has all the original band members save for Lindsay Buckingham. I'm strongly considering attending as the "Mac" was one of my favorite mid-70's pop rock bands.

Apparently Stevie is pushing 70 and this may be one of the last chances anyone will get of seeing her and the band performing the old tunes that are much loved by many, including myself!

This book makes fascinating reading for a fan like me.

Cheers,

RR

5100NmA6OjL._AC_US218_.jpg

This most excellent biography of Sir George Martin's meteoric career was fascinating and detail oriented. It cronicles his rise to fame starting with his pre-studio days and concludes around the production of Rubber Soul. I have the next series on reserve from the library and am looking forward to it.

Cheers,

RR

51Lg8uoYcgL._AC_US218_.jpg

Fascinating account of the 1933 Worlds Fair and how it was planned and built during the worst years of the great depression. And at the same time crime boss Al Capone was running all the operations that brought illegal booze to the speakeasies, since this was during the final years of Prohibition.

Well written if not a little over-dramatic at times. Sure held my interest though.

Cheers,

RR