What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrT999":lplr7ab4 said:
Brewdude":lplr7ab4 said:
Been on an ancient history kick lately-

91Akyif22XL._AC_UL436_.jpg

81rwLy+jgRL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Interesting enough but not really my thing.

Cheers,

RR
RE: Gibbon's 'Decline & Fall"; I hope you make it through all 6 volumes (or 3 in some editions), I spent a semester in grad school in a class that did just that.  Some of the later volumes were a tough slog, but the action picked up by the 1400s. :D
Actually I found it pretty hard going and ponderous. Not having the education background to this made it difficult for me, and I started skimming before eventually giving it up altogether. Guess it's not for the likes of me!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":qxuubyq8 said:
DrT999":qxuubyq8 said:
Brewdude":qxuubyq8 said:
Been on an ancient history kick lately-

91Akyif22XL._AC_UL436_.jpg

81rwLy+jgRL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Interesting enough but not really my thing.

Cheers,

RR
RE: Gibbon's 'Decline & Fall"; I hope you make it through all 6 volumes (or 3 in some editions), I spent a semester in grad school in a class that did just that.  Some of the later volumes were a tough slog, but the action picked up by the 1400s. :D
Actually I found it pretty hard going and ponderous. Not having the education background to this made it difficult for me, and I started skimming before eventually giving it up altogether. Guess it's not for the likes of me!

Cheers,

RR
Yeah, most people who tackle it stop 20-30% of the way through. Most 'condensed' versions are mostly just the first 20%

51Ur83cj4mL._AC_UL436_.jpg

A strange book. A very strange book. Not what I expected. At all....

What did I expect? Hard to say as i hadn't read the reviews on this. Perhaps I thought it was a look into the mind of the character in Silence of the Lambs prior to that. And maybe it was.

In any case it was weird and not what I expected.

I now see there are several more in the series. I'll give them a miss........

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":pywarh2z said:
riff raff":pywarh2z said:
Brew, I assume you have already read Red Dragon?
No, but I'll look into it.

Cheers,

RR
That one is a good as Silence of the Lambs, and introduces you to Hannibal Lecter.

Artemis, Andy Weir. His next book after "The Martian". This is a crime-drama set on the moon. Pretty good so far!

Next up is the final installment in the crime trilogy by Don Winslow (one of my favorite authors). "The Power of the Dog" and "The Cartel", first two were excellent.

220px-Artemis-Andy_Weir_%282017%29.jpg

y648.jpg

71-k+d92bIL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Just re-read this fascinating excursion into the history behind the place we call home. Much interesting history here. And of course Bryson is a compelling story teller.

Cheers,

RR

61YWGMogcxL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Second read of this. And while still interesting it is largely over my head due to it's nature. Very technical. And while Bryson approaches it from a viewpoint of the non-scholar which I very much am it's somewhat beyond my grasp for the large part.

Still, a good read and classic Bryson.

Cheers,

RR

91vwrDuvxXL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Riptide is very probably the most gripping/edge of seat book I've ever read. It's a modern day treasure hunt that has twists and turns that kept me spellbound and I devoured it in a few days as it was so compelling. Highly recommended.

Now to go on and read some of the other Pendergast books.

Cheers,

RR

A14knyilOJL._AC_UL436_.jpg

This is all about a very famous olde worlde galleried Inn/pub/hostelry packed with very interesting stories about it's life, supposedly starting around 1475 when it was first built. It goes through a number of fires, renovations, configurations, purposes, clientele, ownerships, etc. Also included is much history of the South Bank of London in general which is at least as interesting!

Shakespeare, Dickens, Churchill and many other notables are said to have frequented the George over the years.

Author Pete Brown does an excellent job of the narration and comments, some of which are decidedly non-pc. I like his style, and I see he's written several other beer books which I'll have to get in.

Back in '82 I visited the George during my week in London. The George was my first pub stop that late afternoon after touring the Cutty Sark nearby and other South Bank attractions. I remember it well and was a standout on that particular vacation.

If you're a British history buff and have an interest in pubs, do yourself a favor and check this book out. You'll be glad you did.

You're welcome!

Cheers,

RR

For you Fleetwood Mac fans, check out "Daisy Jones & The Six".  It's a novel told documentary style, loosely based on the bands true story.

GUEST_da2ace3d-8ab5-4d17-8b8c-d4320c0c0ffe

81sbONEi26L._AC_UL436_.jpg

Just finished binge reading this. It's the first Pendergast book I've read from Preston and Child who are now in my top 3 authors after just finishing "Riptide" which they also authored.

Just my kind of style and very reminiscent of the style of writing Conan Doyle employed in the Sherlock Holmes series.

Cheers,

RR

This book was recommended by a friend.  Few know that Buffalo were plentiful East of the Mississippi prior to the late 1700's.  Living in Kentucky I still see references here and there to them (Buffalo Trace Bourbon for example) but they are long gone.

The book does a great job of discussing the buffalo, the American Indians and the new settlers along with the dynamics that eradicated the herds.

348564i.jpg

51V-94HpZAL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Another binge read. Completed in 2-3 days. Looks like I'm hooked on the Pendergast novels! This one concluded without a firm resolution and apparently will be continued in a further novel yet to be identified.

Cheers,

RR