What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished 11/23/63 by King. What a great read and interesting tale (time travel).
Started reading the book (900 pages) via the library but finished the 2nd half on a Kindle, I'm sold.

Finished the Alienist and moved on to Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

The last week I've read Blood Grove by Bledsoe, Luther's Commentary on Galatians and his work on Christian Liberty, I'm not a Serial Killer by Wells, Confessions of an Opium Eater by De Quincey and I'm now working on The Trial of Job by Durand.

Cadfael":r97h7yfs said:
All in a week? Wow.
I've been off work and the family didn't want to do anything so I've been reading, smoking, drinking, sleeping and even working out for the last two weeks. There was another book I read but I forget the title.

Almost done with this one. Not as good as "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo," but still very good.

61zJ363UB9L._SS400_.jpg

Mozjo33":m3jfy1yf said:
Almost done with this one. Not as good as "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo," but still very good.

61zJ363UB9L._SS400_.jpg
I have all three loaded in my Kindle. I have seen the three Swedish movies, hoping the books are still interesting.

riff raff":9g36n07e said:
Dave_In_Philly":9g36n07e said:
...Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
I really enjoyed that book. If you like it, you will probably also enjoy "Robopocalypse", awful title but a great story.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385533853/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0553294385&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XXVQB635J0M0XDZ5NF3

I'm reading "1Q84" at the moment.
I'm not a big SciFi guy, but someone recommended this one to me because of all the 80s pop culture references. I'm have to admit I'm really digging it. I'm just about finished with it. It does remind me an awful lot of Ender's Game, though.

Dave_In_Philly":2tmi36g7 said:
riff raff":2tmi36g7 said:
Dave_In_Philly":2tmi36g7 said:
I really enjoyed that book. If you like it, you will probably also enjoy "Robopocalypse", awful title but a great story.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385533853/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0553294385&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XXVQB635J0M0XDZ5NF3

I'm not a big SciFi guy, but someone recommended this one to me because of all the 80s pop culture references. I'm have to admit I'm really digging it. I'm just about finished with it. It does remind me an awful lot of Ender's Game, though.
Good reminder to add "Enders Game" to my Kindle. I also got kick out of all those references, particularly ones from Rush.

riff raff":6mzc9rlb said:
Dave_In_Philly":6mzc9rlb said:
riff raff":6mzc9rlb said:
Dave_In_Philly":6mzc9rlb said:

Good reminder to add "Enders Game" to my Kindle. I also got kick out of all those references in Ready, particularly ones on the Rush songs.

The Great A&P and the Struggle for Small Business in America

riff raff":q59hiqrv said:
I also got kick out of all those references in Ready, particularly ones on the Rush songs.
Tell me about it, I have been listening to the 80's station at work all week. :lol:

Ive been reading ,
" Patrick, The Pilgrim Apostle of Ireland" by Maire B. de Paor
Its a good study, and at the end , is Patrick's "Confessio" in his own "Latin" and translated on the opposite page to English.

When I'm not in the mood for a long sit down read, I jump to my
" Irish Verse, an Anthology" by Bob Blaisdell.
Poetry and verse ,streetsongs and ballads, from the year circa 600 to 1970's.

JM":ec3ruevq said:
Cadfael":ec3ruevq said:
All in a week? Wow.
I've been off work and the family didn't want to do anything so I've been reading, smoking, drinking, sleeping and even working out for the last two weeks. There was another book I read but I forget the title.
Like Winston Churchill once said, "I am at 200%!"

Well done!

lowflyingpenguin":s3bl7ex4 said:
Just starting Zero History by William Gibson.
Have you read, Idoru?

His books set in the present or near future resonate with me more than his earlier work, thought this could be a combination of his writing evolving or my just my inability to suspend my disbalief. That said, it was never something I had a problem doing with PKD or KVJ. I dunno, I am just recommending it if you haven't read it, I guess.

Btw, just finished reading The Glass Castle. Lovely book that goes from the harsh brutality of alcoholism and its effects on a young family and how they not only survived, but rescued each other and redeemed themselves as a family. INCREDIBLE.

Also finished reading Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon AGAIN.

I am feeling the urge to read some Willaim T. Vollman; what, I don't know yet, but it's all uber-ambitious and great.

"The Tempting of America: The Political Seduction of the Law" by Robert H. Bork is my current read. It discusses some cases of the U.S. Supreme Court from the time of John Marshal to its publication in 1990.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.