What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting for my new Kindle to arrive. In the mean time, I'm browsing Durant's Age of Faith.

On Stranger Tides, by Tim Powers. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl is of course based on the Disneyland ride...but it's also inspired by this novel. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is inspired by this novel as well, but to a lesser extent, ironically enough. Considering that cigars play a prominent role in another Tim Powers novel, Expiration Date, I'm looking forward to some pipes and/or cigars in this novel, too.

The Dain Curse by Dashiell Hammett on Kindle. One handed. While smoking a pipe.

Right now I"m enjoying Agatha Christies "The Secret Adversary"

Reading through Neill Archer Roan's blog I came across his post about his meeting with John Casey which inspired me to pick up a copy of Spartina at the library (its not available for the Kindle yet). Worth reading but I wouldn't praise it to the extent that Neil did.

Just finished Ivan Doig's The Eleventh Man. It was okay, not all that great, but meh.

I'm reading Ghandi & Churchill: The Epic Rivalry That Destroyed An Empire and Forged Our Age.

Interesting stuff and a bit of a departure for me as I rarely read history. Of course, I have to smoke an English blend while reading it. :D

"Generation Of Swine. Gonzo Papers Volume 2"- Hunter Thompson

Reading "The Rumpole Omnibus," a compilation of three Rumpole of the Bailey novels by John Mortimer. Great stuff.

jdkonzem":i7kkalz2 said:
Lonesome Dove
McMurtry is one of the greatest and yet least appreciated writers of the last 50 years.

I just started The Last Jihad by Joel Rosenberg. I'm usually not a political thriller kind of guy, but a friend recommended it and so far it's been a great read.

I just finished Ghandi and Churchill: The Epic Rivalry That Destroyed an Empire and Forged Our Age by Arthur Herman. I'm also generally not a history reader, but the subjects of this book intrigued me and I'm planning a trip to India this February. The book definately didn't disappoint and I think having some of the history concerning the formation of present day India will be helpful to me during my mission.

I guess looking at the list above that I've been doing a bit of stretching from my usual reading. That's a good thing!

Hubble: Mirror on the Universe........pics that have to be seen to believe

Status
Not open for further replies.