What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jeepernick":s5dhac6x said:
If you get a chance the rest of the Sacketts series is quite good. The wife bought the series about 10 yeas ago and I have read it several times through.
I actually plan to. I'm really enjoying the first book. Louis LaMour is a fantastic writer.

Currently I'm reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. A Christmas present from my wife. :D

Finished The Widows of Eastwick, half-way through Obama's Dreams From My Father and started John Gray's Black Mass: Apocalyptic Religion and the Death of Utopia.

Finished Berlin, reading Why Is There Something Rather Than Nothing? 23 Questions From Great Philosophers by Leszek Kolalowski.

Just finished Anne Rice's - Christ the Lord , Out of Egypt. Now I am into the sequel Christ the Lord , The Road to Cana.

"Hey Rube" by Hunter S. Thompson...plus waaaaay too much stuff for school.

Just finished Divided Loyalties by Digby Seymour (the civil war in E Tenn.), Stealing Lincoln's Body by Thomas Craughwell (hadn't heard about this before but apparently an actual attempt) and started the first volume of Shelby Foote's Civil War a Narrative.

I am rereading a Civil War book "The Last Full Measure" by Jeff Saharra.This is
the kind of book that I love to revisit.The soldiers of the Confederacy were second to none
in the annals of military history.
Shelby Foote's classic historical narrative of the Civil War was written by a pipe smoker,and it is a pleasure to fill up a few pipes and let his writing take you back
to those times.A perfect read for the pipe smoker. :)

Winslow :sunny:

It seems to me I read somewhere that he wrote the entire three volumes using a dip pen because it slowed him down and forced him to think about what he was writing.

His main blend was Edward G. Robinson,he would smoke bowl after bowl as he
worked on his masterpiece.I don't think he really became widely known until Ken
Burns did the PBS series on the civil war.Another man also became known;Jay
Ungar,the musician who wrote"Ashokan Farewell" which was the haunting theme
song of the PBS series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm68kGuChcw

Winslow":yw49rzlz said:
His main blend was Edward G. Robinson,he would smoke bowl after bowl as he
worked on his masterpiece.I don't think he really became widely known until Ken
Burns did the PBS series on the civil war.Another man also became known;Jay
Ungar,the musician who wrote"Ashokan Farewell" which was the haunting theme
song of the PBS series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm68kGuChcw

I really love that song.

Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' a post-apocalyptic journey through burned America. A stunning read BTW! If the second and third sentences don't get you reading, nothing will:

' Nights dark beyond darkness and the days more gray each one that what had gone before. Like the onset of some cold glaucoma dimming away the world '

Currently, I'm reading a biography of Robert Ingersoll.
Kilted 1- I loved The Road. McCarthy is brilliant once you get past his odd prose and infuriating lack of punctuation. (What is that man's problem with quotation marks?)
For the full McCarthy experience, I recommend Blood Meridian. It's not a fun book, but it's superb.

I am in the middle of Undaunted Courage, by Stephen Ambrose. What a book! It's about the Louis and Clark expedition that took them up the Missouri and across the divide to the Pacific coast. This is a MUST read for any early American history fans, as well as any fans of intrepid adventures. I am thoroughly enjoying this book!

Currently trying to wade my way through "Glencoe the Story of the Massacre" by John Prebble. Historically excellent, but a cumbersome read. When I'm done with it there is "Culloden" and "The Highland Clearances" yet to go, should get me through the winter anyway.

I've been reading a lot of the Amsterdam Cops series by Janwillem van de Wetering (in translation, of course.) If you like police procedurals, they're really great. Lots of very dry humor. Lots of gin-drinking and dry-cured cigars, of course, the setting being the Netherlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.