What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes from Night Shade Books. This is a collection of S.H. stories written by such lights as Anne Perry, Tanith Lee, Stephen King and others and edited by John Joseph Adams. All the stories have a supernatural slant. Some find their solutions in the mundane, as Holmes believed, rather than the supernatural. Others leave the question open. :study:

paddy-boy":bpjhijf3 said:
I am on the third of the five Christmas books by Charles Dickens. I always read them this time of year except this year I am reading them to my daughter.
I read Dicken's Christmas Carol every year. What a wonderful author he was. He so thoroughly evokes the feel of Christmas without all the schmaltz.

Centurian 803":h26pd8vl said:
I read Dicken's Christmas Carol every year. What a wonderful author he was. He so thoroughly evokes the feel of Christmas without all the schmaltz.
What a great idea, we usually watch the two versions of the movie that we own, one with George C. Scott as Scrooge (excellent) the other is the Muppet version (very entertaining). It's been many a year since actually reading the book.

A Christmas Carol is by an large the most popular.
But I would suggest you read both The Chimes and The Cricket on the Hearth as well.
Both can be found here link

G.K. Chesterton's The Everlasting Man.
Got this from my mom when I graduated high school 15 years ago. I've tried to make it through several times before now, but for some reason it's finally taking.
The dude was a genius.

Hitler's War, Harry Turtledove, (Ballantine Books, New York, 2009). 499 pages. This is Alturnative history, its okay I dont really buy his argument in this one, he doesnt change much other than the dates in this one soo far.

Currently reading "Ringworld" by Larry Niven. Great bit of sci-fi.

Go Down Together the true untold story of Bonnie and Clyde by Jeff Guinn. So far very interesting. Kinda blows the lid off the glamerous image put forth by Hollywood of these two sleazy cheap hoods.

Finally picked up Tolkien's Tales From the Perilous Realm. Just finished his essay "On Fairy-Stories" and starting "Leaf by Niggle" tomorrow...can't believe i didn't read this stuff till now.

Ben

So it's good I take it? I went on a big JRR binge a long time ago, but I never read that one.

yes it is very good. Perilous Realms is composed of 5 short stories and his essay for the defense of Fairy Stories. It gives alot of insight into his thought process. I enjoyed the essay and now am delving into the short stories.

Ben

I've just finished reading every single one of conan doyales sherlock holmes stories yet again and have just moved on to the count of monte cristo.

Re-reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It looks like the last few books will be coming out over the next two or three years so I thought I would get back into them and finish off something I started so long ago.

I love the Wheel of Time. I've been trying to get through the 7th book for years, lol!

"Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime" Heilemann and Halperin

Very interesting read! Having to force myself to put it down. These people have dug up more dirt than you could drive a jeep through about each of the candidates in the 08' general as well as primary election.

Just finished War Without Garlands. Great nonfiction about the WWII Eastern Front, told from a mostly German perspective.

I finally bit and got the first book of the Dune series.

People have been telling me for years I would enjoy it (and I am), but I never followed through because I remembered seeing that HORRIBLE movie sometime when I was a kid. Same thing with Tolkien's books. I didn't get into them until college because I had seen the Hobbit cartoon as a child and thought "What kind of freaky crap is this?"

mattia76":p1rcs4wg said:
I didn't get into them until college because I had seen the Hobbit cartoon as a child and thought "What kind of freaky crap is this?"
What?! You didn't like the cheesy song "Where there's a whip, there's a way?" Or "Frodo of the nine fingers"? How sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.