What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SC Smoker":7thqv1wu said:
Just finished War Without Garlands. Great nonfiction about the WWII Eastern Front, told from a mostly German perspective.
Great book,I've read most of the stuff written about the Eastern Front....not many people
realize what went on there.

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":zdgjrm2s said:
SC Smoker":zdgjrm2s said:
Just finished War Without Garlands. Great nonfiction about the WWII Eastern Front, told from a mostly German perspective.
Great book,I've read most of the stuff written about the Eastern Front....not many people
realize what went on there.

Winslow :sunny:
I'm a history buff, especially WWII and the period leading up to it, and the early cold war, but this is the first book I've read on the German invasion of the USSR. Very brutal in so many ways. Any other recommendations on the subject?

If you would like to read about the holodomor Harvest of Sorrow By Conquest is a good read very depressing but eye opening to true evil of the Soviet System under Stalin.

the Fall of Berlin by Anthony Beevor is good too

When titans Clashed by David Glantz is good it was new when i was in college had alot of new sources i used for papers.

Stuka Pilot by Hans Rudel is mostly about the Eastern Front from the pilots perspective, FYI Rudel was a huge nazi so be forwarned they did edit most of it out in the english versions.

This may be odd but Harry Turtledoves Timeline 191 series alternative world War II portion is largely the Eastern Front fought in America between the CSA and USA. The Grapple is the second book dont remember the first one.

War of the Rats is about Stalingrad its a novel as well.

one of the problems with english language history is that it is very anglo-americanphile in nature, so there are fewer books.

These Eastern front accounts sound interesting, I'll have to check them out.
I did just watch the movie 'Stalingrad' a German film (from the German soldiers perspective) about the Eastern front, excellent I might add. I also liked 'Enemy at the Gates' a movie with Jude Law as a Soviet Sniper during the defense of Stalingrad, Ed Harris plays a German Sniper, another recommended flick.

As far as what I'm reading now, I just started the Jack Reacher series over with Killing Floor (Author Lee Child).

I finished Robert Littlell's The Revolutionist which follows it's main character Alexander Til from NYC, through Trotsky in NYC, and into Europe, the Russian revolution from the Bolsheviks to the death of Stalin. Littell is a great storyteller, but this book is the most depressing book I have ever read. From about the 1/2 way point, Stalin figures prominently in the story and it truly seems that the entire world wants him dead, but he very well might have got them first.

Just finished Dillenger's Wild Ridge by Elliot Gordon. Well written and well balanced account of Dillinger's brief career.

Rising Road: A True Tale of Love, Race, and Religion in America - Sharon Davies
Its is about the murder of Father Coyle on the steps of the Rectory at the Cathedral of Saint Paul in Birmingham, AL and the subsequent trial of Methodist minister E. R. Stephenson who shot him.

I'm reading Kosinski's Painted Bird. I'm about 1/2 way through it and while it's a page turner, it's depressing as hell.

I read The Painted Bird in high school. Isn't that the one about the boy who escapes the Germans and lives in the woods? My memory is a little foggy, but that's the way I recollect it.

Edited to add: I just started reading the Bible. I'm several chapters into Genesis. I've never read the Bible through. Its been one of my reading goals. Another is to read all of the Federalist Papers. Hopefully one day I will complete both.

The Venona Secrets by Herbert Romerstein and Eric Breindel

Just finished Dan Brown's " the Lost Symbol"; a very facinating read.
Now, "the Wrecker" by Clive Cussler and " No Ordinary Time" Doris Goodwin

I'm enjoying some light reading this week... Boyce's 'Systematic Theology' & Calvin's 'Institutes of the Christian Religion'

Just started The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians by Peter Heather

"Drop Dead My Lovely" ~ Ellis Weiner

A funny little novel about a bookstore clerk who gets conked on the head by a falling bookshelf... when he regains consciousness in the hospital, he thinks he is a 1940's style hard-boiled Private Detective. He is visited in the hospital by a lawyer for the bookstore who presents him with a settlement check for the incident. He uses the money to buy a fedora and a zoot suit and open up a one man detective agency. It is a hoot to observe his film noir detective persona interacting with modern people who don't exactly know what to make of him. Love all the Bogey-style talk! A good light hearted read. :study:

The Ask
By Sam Lipsyte
Good read by an XGenr about XGeners, I can relate.

Status
Not open for further replies.