What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part way through this bowl of Sept. 2015 Savinelli Doblone d’Oro in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. The 2015 version has a tad more DFK than the 2014.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

Wilke Subrug's Golden Scepter in a paneled Design Berlin.

Well, Jim Inks suggest a wide bowl and somehow I haven't remembered to try this in my widest bowl Charatan 489 pot. But in three different pipes this just doesn't have the harmony of some of the other blends. It's like a trial version of Crystal Palace that didn't turn out as good. I get fleeting moments of an earthy bitterness that remind me of a Burley that hasn't had the pH adjusted. I mean, it's not bad, but I'd have to give this one a B- compared to most other Wilke blends that hit it out of the park for me. Still, one mishit out of ten blends I've tried - what a batting average!

BTW, my 2 oz bulk looks quite a bit darker than the picture on the website. I wonder if in mixing together a batch in hurry to meet demand of Black Friday Sale, maybe my batch has more dark Burley in it?
If you have any blending tobacco, try adding a little Latakia or a smidgeon of unsweetened black cavendish. I agree that the burley throws it off a little, and I have it three stars instead of the four I gave Crystal Palace for that reason.

A quarter of the way through this bowl of KBV The Dread Planet 2020 (Hellstar) in a 2002 IMP smooth full bend egg shaped meer with a black acrylic saddle stem. This finishes the bag.

Half way through this bowl of Granger in an undated straight smooth medium brown Comoy’s Tradition 110B billiard with a tapered black vulcanite stem. M'lady loves the smell of this blend. She said it reminded her of baking bread.
Comoy’s Tradition 110B billiard copy.jpg

If you have any blending tobacco, try adding a little Latakia or a smidgeon of unsweetened black cavendish. I agree that the burley throws it off a little, and I have it three stars instead of the four I gave Crystal Palace for that reason.
Good idea. I have some Lane toasted unflavored black Cavendish to make a small 1-2 bowl trial. Might help me make it through the rest of my supply, I mean why beat my head against the wall trying in different pipes when the outcome is likely to be the same without some sort of tweak? Do you ever try a blend in pipe after pipe hoping it will somehow miraculously transform, or do you pretty much know right away what potential it has?

After dinner treat; Country Squire Rivendell in Savinelli Tortuga 614. A real nip in the air, this may be my last pipe of the night. Going to sit in the big chair and read for awhile.

Not far from finishing this bowl of Watch City Stardust in a 1970s black pebble blasted slight bend Savinellli Capri 315 prince with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Dinner is next!

Good idea. I have some Lane toasted unflavored black Cavendish to make a small 1-2 bowl trial. Might help me make it through the rest of my supply, I mean why beat my head against the wall trying in different pipes when the outcome is likely to be the same without some sort of tweak? Do you ever try a blend in pipe after pipe hoping it will somehow miraculously transform, or do you pretty much know right away what potential it has?
That's a hard question to answer. I generally take a blend as it comes to me. I don't have any preconceived notions. In fact, I try to avoid doing that so I can be free to let whatever a blend offers offer its attributes to me. Once I know what it is, I deal with it by either smoking it not.

Having written that, I do find some pipes smoke some blends better than other pipes will. So, if something isn't working in one pipe, I'll switch to another to see if there's a difference. Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and zucchini dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm a quarter of the way through this bowl of year 2016 Sam Gawith Cabbie’s Uncut in a 2003 smooth medium bend straight grain Ardor Venere Extra signed by Dorelio Rovera Dublin and a black acrylic saddle stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
2003 Ardor Venere Extra signed by Dorelio Rovera Dublin.jpg

Hey! Where is everybody?

Last edited:
Watch city Roanoke flake in a pete bent pot. Taste isn't bad but smoking kinda hot. Maybe cause I was in a bit of a rush and did a fold and stuff vs a rub out. Will have to try that in a different pipe.

Now smoking year 2018 Sutliff Dunhill Elizabethan Match in a 1980 smooth walnut finish quarter bend Peterson 505 Rhodesian silver spigot military mount with a black vulcanite saddle stem fishtail bit. Going to Zoom for a bit.
Peterson505_Rhodesian_SSpigot copy.jpg

Close to finishing this bowl of circa year 2000 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Good morning BoB. Starting out with Figgy Pudding in a vintage Sasieni full bent rhodesian with dark roast coffee. Beautiful day here in the mountains.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-06-08-54-21.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-06-08-54-21.png
    815.7 KB · Views: 72
Watching the Operation Mekong [2016] based on a real story, the 2011 Mekong River massacre. The governments of Thailand, Laos, Myanmar and China launch a joint task force to apprehend the criminals.

28918131338c3821ea3c98d501e93f512a3081be.jpg

while smoking Pfeifen Huber Labyrinth Mixture.

Wife just commented she likes the room note of Figgy Pudding. Read about a CS blend called Parsons Blend. Supposed to be one of their best smelling aros. Anyone out there tried it?

Part way through this bowl of Greeneyes Navy Rolls in a smooth dark brown medium bend undated Peterson Kildare 80S bulldog with a black vulcanite saddle p-lip stem.
Peterson Kildare 80S bulldog copy.jpg

Rivendell in a straight grain Pipa Croci bent pot. French vanilla coffee on the side.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-06-09-52-30.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-06-09-52-30.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 65