What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost half way through this bowl of year 2014 MacBaren Three Nuns in the first pipe Trever Talbot made when he went to France many years ago. It's a smooth straight Algerian briar Lumberman with a long shank and a black vulcanite saddle stem, unbranded. Watching the Reds-Brewers game. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Trevor_Talbert_Lumberman-big.jpg

A quarter of the way through this bowl of Sutliff Presbyterian in a straight dark brown and tan rusticated Peterson 2023 Saint Patrick’s Day 264 Canadian with an Irish flag colored ferrule and tapered black acrylic stem. Listening to the Braves-Rays game on the XM because our local Fox channel is blacked out in a rights dispute with Direct TV and AT&T. Boneheads.
Peterson_St. Patrick's_Canadian264.jpg

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and green beans dinner with strawberries for dessert. I just finished smoking year 2016 Newminister 400 Superior Navy Flake in a straight smooth brown year 1948 Parker Super Bruyere patent 23 88/F bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
1948_Parker_patent 23 bulldog..jpg

Now smoking year 2016 Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake in a straight smooth brown post-1964 Parker Super Bruyere 88/F group 3 bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Getting ready to clean a few pipes before I go to work.
1964on_Parker_SB_88_group 3 bulldog.jpg

Charlie, do you have any hunches on why the mortise part has colored like that?
I puff most my pipes pretty fast, at least that's how they always colored. If I wax it, and you @Swede of all people might object to that, since you like the color it is now, but if I wax it I bet there will be coloring on the bottom of the bowl as well. My plan is to smoke all the meerschaums I've waxed as often as I can for a few weeks or maybe a couple months just to see what happens, then move on to that CAO and the others I haven't done yet.

I've wondered if using the breath method wouldn't change the way meers color, because you have smoke going both ways, but I haven't been doing that long enough to know. All my pipes get a little to a lot of color in the mortise and that's about it. My AKB Sultan developed a spot near his ear that's only gotten darker, kind of a mystery to me. I've had that CAO probably ten years now.