What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sutliff Birds of a Feather Whimsical in an Edward's Virgin Algerian briar pot.
20231007_123125.jpg

Not far from finishing this bowl of early 2000s Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Taking the day off to watch the baseball playoffs, although the first game (Orioles and Rangers) is in rain delay. I'll be DVRing the other three games so I can watch them all.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Busy day at work,had a quick lunch.Now smoking a Savinelli 320 with MB Virginia and a Martinson k-cup.The mailman delivered the 2 Medico VFW pipes earlier,they aren`t in bad condition,need a good cleaning.There a little smaller than I thought they would be. Probably ,be used as yard work pipes,as I am very hard on pipes outdoors.
Last night I won a few tobacco auctions,too.

Enjoyed a tall stack of cinnamon raisin French toast with two small Sweet Tango apples and some unsalted peanuts on the side. I just smoked a bowl of year 2000 VaPer Three Nuns in a 1938 straight black grain relief Dunhill OX Shell bulldog with a silver band repair with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Lavazza Classico, neat, is my drink. Watching the Orioles-Rangers game, and am getting ready to clean a few pipes.
Dunhill_1938_left.jpg

Now smoking a bowl from a freshly opened tin of year 2013 Rotary Navy Cut in a post-1938 Pre-Republic Peterson Dublin straight smooth X155 bulldog with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Nigel Bruce smoked this model in two Sherlock Holmes movies. Please consider asking Smoking Pipes to bring back this model.
Peterson_PR_Bulldog_XL155.jpg

Now smoking year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

Mid afternoon smoke of C&D St. Patricks Day Reserve. Oolong tea on the side. Have to disagree with our esteemed Jiminks on this one. I don't get any of the tastes he alludes to. If I had to describe this blend in one word, it would be blah. Was included with a pipe I bought from Smoking Pipes, so at least I didn't pay for it, lol.

Mid afternoon smoke of C&D St. Patricks Day Reserve. Oolong tea on the side. Have to disagree with our esteemed Jiminks on this one. I don't get any of the tastes he alludes to. If I had to describe this blend in one word, it would be blah. Was included with a pipe I bought from Smoking Pipes, so at least I didn't pay for it, lol.
I didn't say it was great. It's pretty decent for a mild aro, which is why I wrote that it's a three star blend. It doesn't bite, isn't syrupy and doesn't have a chemical taste. I rated it against other mild aros in that genre, and not stronger ones. That's how I always rate blends in case you didn't know. You just like stronger stuff, and there's nothing wrong with that, but a mild blend is unlikely to ever suit you. I'm sure you do know I never rate for my personal preferences either. It could be worse: you could have bought ten tins, lol.

I do the same for everything. I rate mild English versus other mild English blends, Medium to medium, strong to strong. For aros, it's strength and similar flavorings versus others that are similar. For instance, I'd never rate a peach blend against a cherry blend. I don't rate topped straight Va.s versus light or untopped Va.s either. For those who don't know my system, I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Close to finishing this bowl of Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture in a smooth medium bend terracotta Peterson POY 2023 X160 464/1100 military mount egg with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Been trying to decide on a few estate pipes to break in and what to break them in with as they had a through cleaning.
Peterson_POY2023_X160.jpg

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, lots of chicken legs and green beans dinner with a hot fudge sundae for dessert. I'm almost half way through this bowl of year 2020 Dunhill Elizabethan Match Plug in a black and brown sandblasted quarter bend 2015 Brebbia 2112 Fat Bob squashed tomato with a tapered black acrylic stem. Watching the Dodgers-D-Backs game. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Brebbia_Fat Boy.jpg

Enjoyed a tasty Jazz apple, and am venturing toward the half way mark of this bowl of 70s, 80s Balkan Sobranie in a 1978 quarter bend CAO Turk's Head meer with a yellow cream swirl acrylic saddle stem. This will finish the exceptionally tasty sample.
CAO_Turk_closeup.jpg

For the first time, Sam the Scamp and Abner the Eager ate together, but when the food ran low, Sam growled at Abner so I put down some food for him a few inches away. While they finished eating in peace, Sam was continually checking to make sure Abner didn't bother him while he had a drink.
Sam&Abner_Together.jpg

Sam_Growls_Abner.jpg

Sam&Abner_Seperate.jpg

Sam_LUatWaterB.jpg

Last edited:
A third of a bowl left of year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg