What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zippo, beautiful pipe. Look how similar yours is to mine, although mine is capped with gold. I fit mine with a DC bit years ago. Never thought about it having an amber bit, but I bet it did.
Jim has two Henry Tounge's (probably more) and they still have the Amber Stems. It broke my heart, when I dropped mine, and the stem shattered. I love your Bulldog too BTW.

Jim has two Henry Tounge's (probably more) and they still have the Amber Stems. It broke my heart, when I dropped mine, and the stem shattered. I love your Bulldog too BTW.
I never broke an amber stem on any of my antique meers, just it's easy to do and with age/use I think they get more brittle - maybe UV effects them, too. Never turned amber rod on my lathe, if it's even available anymore. But acrylic that resembles amber is. You might look into getting that. However the black looks very nice. You mentioned the name Henry Tounge - not familiar with him. My pipe has no ID as to maker.

Enjoyed a tall stack of cinnamon raisin French toast for lunch with unsalted peanuts and a golden delicious apple on the side. I'm smoking year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Lavazza Classico, neat, is my drink. Watching Bat Masterson.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

I never broke an amber stem on any of my antique meers, just it's easy to do and with age/use I think they get more brittle - maybe UV effects them, too. Never turned amber rod on my lathe, if it's even available anymore. But acrylic that resembles amber is. You might look into getting that. However the black looks very nice. You mentioned the name Henry Tounge - not familiar with him. My pipe has no ID as to maker.
Are there any initials or hallmarks on the gold? Sometimes, initials may supply a helpful clue.

@Zippo ,I just have the Henry Tongue cased set.

I have another that looks like one, but I don't know who made it. The A&D initials on the silver indicates that work was done by Charles James Allen & Sidney Darwin.

Last edited:
Now smoking year 2016 Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake in a straight smooth terracotta 2014 Sherlock Holmes Baker Street bulldog with sterling silver band and a tapered black p-lip stem.
View attachment 16354
Love the bead work. That takes time and speaks to care put into that pipe. Very attractive.

Ok, here is one I've promised. I have this beautiful Sav deluxe with a 9 inch shank that's been a terrible smoker - bitter and hot. I reamed it to wood this morning, plugged the shank, filled it with Walnut oil and cooked it in the microwave. Gentlemen, it's smoking sweet! I will keep you posted.
20240306_183106_compress38.jpg

You know you're headed for a competency hearing when your buddies catch you watching video clips from "The Gong Show".

I just couldn't help myself, it was like seeing a collision between two trucks - one carrying mouse traps and one carrying ping pong balls. It started with one and immediately ran out of control.

God bless Gene Gene the Dancing Machine.

PS: Thought I should have another bowl of MT in the Bones Dublin and reflect on my recent sins.
Who made your tamper?

Earlier, I smoked a bowl of year 2014 Dunhill Flake in a straight smooth dark brown 1916 Barling The Hunt with beautiful silver work and a black vulcanite saddle stem with an orific bit. I was reading Every Other Weekend by Anthony J. Mohr. As a big fan of his father, actor Gerald Mohr, this book is a welcome experience.
Barling_Hunter_1.jpg

Then, I smoked a bowl Watch City English Ernie-ental in a straight dark brown and tan rusticated Peterson 2023 Saint Patrick’s Day 264 Canadian with an Irish flag colored ferrule and tapered black acrylic stem.
Peterson_St. Patrick's_Canadian264.jpg

After that, I surprised m'lady by making pizza for the two of us. Yes, I made the dough, too. I ate two large extra cheese pizzas with mushrooms followed by a big slice of pecan pie and a small bowl of spumoni ice cream for dessert. I'm near the last quarter of this bowl of year 2016 Wessex Gold Brick in an undated straight black sandblasted Kevin Arthur brandy with a multi-colored accent on the white acrylic saddle stem. This pipe was originally owned by Sante “FishnBanjo” Guiliani. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Kevin Arthur Brandy.jpg