What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some H&H in the Bones Dublin and getting set to go for lunch. BBL.

Attachments

• Bones Little Bent Dublin.JPG
    Bones Little Bent Dublin.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
A third of the way through this bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Hope you get better soon, @Zippo .

Good morning fellow BoBs and a Happy Sunday to all. Enjoying CS Choctaw in a Butz Choquin magnum bent brandy with cowboy coffee. Played fetch with Charlie for a while now he's relaxing in my lap. 54 and sunny but also windy here on the mountain. Have a great day everyone and Zippo you take it easy. Good advice on the green tea and chew zinc tabs if you have them. Later BoBs.
I'll third the green tea. I've had some gastrointestinal bouts, one being twenty or so years ago where I couldn't eat or drink anything without it hitting me. It was suggested to drink green tea, and the stuff literally allowed me to graduate to other drinks and food. I just did a search and found ties of green tea for respiratory issues. I recommend the Japanese Sencha type. Again, hoping Zippo improves quickly.

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am nearing the last quarter of this bowl of year 2000 VaPer Three Nuns in a 1938 straight black grain relief Dunhill OX Shell bulldog with a silver band repair with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Haven't smoked this first year Ascorti pipe in a long time. It was always a VaPer Three Nuns pipe back in the day. Lavazza Classico, neat, is my drink.
Ascorti_NDKS_billiard_carved.jpg

Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and have passed the quarter mark of this bowl of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. I had a wonderful conversation with a old college friend from my graduate days about getting back to the fine art world. I'm giving it serious thought. He's taken up the pipe to a small extent, so I'm going to help him with that.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

I had a wonderful conversation with a old college friend from my graduate days about getting back to the fine art world. I'm giving it serious thought.
One of the older brothers of a friend that I worked with in a Photography Lab/Studio in the early 80's had a brother who pursued a career in fine arts. It was a tough road and not very lucrative even though he had various shows including one at the Gardner Museum in Boston.

Not to discourage your path, the art world has likely changed in the last 40 years!

A quarter of the way through this bowl of KBV Shire Gold beta test in a medium bend smooth paneled 2017 Celebi Turkish Meerschaum with a tapered gold and black swirl acrylic stem. Ismail made this meer for me as a token of friendship. The tobacco reminds me of a British aromatic.
Celebri_meer.jpg

One of the older brothers of a friend that I worked with in a Photography Lab/Studio in the early 80's had a brother who pursued a career in fine arts. It was a tough road and not very lucrative even though he had various shows including one at the Gardner Museum in Boston.

Not to discourage your path, the art world has likely changed in the last 40 years!
I'm well aware of that. I did all of that in the 1980s and early 90s. My friend and I were discussing the changes since then. I have time on my hands these days, and I decided to spend some of that free time doing work that espresses me without editorial dictates or outside influence. I'll see how it goes, but I have always been mindful of the pitfalls. I certainly have had to deal with them as a freelance comic book artist and a writer for more than thirty years.

Part way through this bowl of year 2018 Solani 633 in a straight 1954 patent Dunhill 148 Group 3 black shell bulldog made for the France market with a black saddle vulcanite stem. This should get me to dinner time.
Dunhill_1954_Shell_Bulldog148.jpg

I've had another lapse in posting. Been a busy bee lately. Just got my first Peterson last week, and first P-Lip. I've got John Bull smoldering right now.

So, how do you clench one of these things? Or don't you?
View attachment 16463
It depends on how your teeth are constructed. Mine are perfect for clenching p-lips. I put the bit on my teeth just in front of the p-lp, and it's not long before the p-lip butts up against my teeth. I go back and forth with it because I always clench my pipe in the manner I just mentioned regardless of bit construction.

Pre dinner smoking a bowl of C&D Billy Budd in a Stanwell Relief Grain 1/2 bent dublin with Earl Gray tea. Having just one of Jim's 1/3 lb hamburgers with fried onions and salad. Lol. Because I had a monster breakfast. 3 egg omelet with ham, onions, cheese and mushrooms. Yummy.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm almost a third of the way through this bowl of Watch City English Ernie-ental in a straight dark brown and tan rusticated Peterson 2023 Saint Patrick’s Day 264 Canadian with an Irish flag colored ferrule and tapered black acrylic stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Peterson_St. Patrick's_Canadian264.jpg

I've had another lapse in posting. Been a busy bee lately. Just got my first Peterson last week, and first P-Lip. I've got John Bull smoldering right now.

So, how do you clench one of these things? Or don't you?
View attachment 16463
There is an art to hanging a pipe from the bit, I cannot claim to have mastered it. By hooking the button behind your upper teeth and relaxing your bite you can in essence lock the pipe in place with its own weight, without keeping a grip on it between your teeth. As I said, I have not mastered this, my jaw trembles and so my pipe shivers. I keep trying nonetheless.

I just spent two hours watching a movie with my Savinelli 616 and practicing just that technique. I am certain others can explain it better. I am a notorious clencher and clenching works poorly for 3/4 and full bent pipes. Especially if they have any weight to speak of. My compromise has always been to smoke the pipe "in hand".

BTW you have a handsome pipe there and I love that it's a sitter.

Attachments

• Savinelli 616 Sistina.jpg
    Savinelli 616 Sistina.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
A third of the way through this bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style.
View attachment 16457

Hope you get better soon, @Zippo .
I am going to continue working on my Edward G Robinson. First bowl was magical. Last 3 haven’t been on that level. I wish I could remember what pipe I smoked it in. Any advice. I am sipping it slowly. However I sat down my last bowl and came back to it and the last 2/3 bowl was closer to the first bowl.

Last edited: