What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ranger107 -

RLP-6 is an old favorite, old habits are hard to break. :cool:
Yes, the MM Cobbit series fits me well, as I very much like churchwardens, and the pipe is top notch in quality for MM.

Cobbit_Elf.JPG

Side by side bowls of C&D Three Friars, enjoyed in a new Tsuge Tasting Stack compared to the Ropp Vintage Belge from earlier. Absolutely beautiful tobacco.

Fascinates me how a tobacco can interact with different pipes. The Tsuge, because it is narrow, brought more of the Virginia and Perique to the forefront, while the Ropp brought more of the bass notes of Burley with more of a peppery nose from the Perique while bringing up sweetness.

Both pipes handled the tobacco in a delicious manner. Kinda like a rich, creamy steak with different seasonings.

Needless to say, I'm feeling very mellow right now.

Paul, you have mentioned Ropp pipes several times. Are they good smokers? I looked on ebay earlier and there are several listed pretty cheap. Not the cherry woods but several nice looking briars for under $50. One, a nice looking billiard was only $29. What say you?
I've become a HUGE fan of the Ropp pipes, especially the Vintage series that have horn stems. I've acquired six of them over the past two months and each one is a great smoker. I also have base priced Etudiant series pipes with vulcanite stems. Though they have slightly smaller bowls, they too have proven to be great smokers.

I'll be thinning down the herd in 2021 and the Ropps will certainly remain "at the ranch." I love them.

GLP Sextant in a Design Berlin 9mm. Could have sworn somebody snuck a pinch of Perique in the bowl tonight. Very definite white and pink peppercorn, even though the blend has no Perique. Must have been a really spicy patch of Izmir. Good, just not what I expected.

I've become a HUGE fan of the Ropp pipes, especially the Vintage series that have horn stems. I've acquired six of them over the past two months and each one is a great smoker. I also have base priced Etudiant series pipes with vulcanite stems. Though they have slightly smaller bowls, they too have proven to be great smokers.

I'll be thinning down the herd in 2021 and the Ropps will certainly remain "at the ranch." I love them.
Thanks

Paul, may I ask where you acquired your pipes? I saw quite a few on ebay, but don't recall any with horn stems? I am trying to get a few more larger bowled pipes for burley blends. What is the approximate price range for the Vintage series and where can I find them? Thanks,

PA in my Butz magnum. Love this pipe. Huge bowl, thick walls, smokes super cool with burleys, PA, CH, SWR. And, good for an hour and a half or more depending on my mood and how slow I drink my coffee.

Paul, may I ask where you acquired your pipes? I saw quite a few on ebay, but don't recall any with horn stems? I am trying to get a few more larger bowled pipes for burley blends. What is the approximate price range for the Vintage series and where can I find them? Thanks,
They have all come from smokingpipes...been keeping them busy and adding to the economy 🤠. For wider bowl pipes, check out Rossi and also the Tsuge Tasting line of pipes. The Billiard and the Dublin are both deep and wide (average 1.60 x .83). I have two Rossi stout Billards and Dublin with similar bowl sizes.

Last edited:
Getting very windy out here today, so shifted into the garage with the door open a bit, replicating a quasi indoor pipe experience. Savored a bowl of C&D Pasha's Dream in a Tsuge Tasting Billiard. Pure delightful, flavor-filled bliss! Cowboy Coffee and howling wind as honored guests.