What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evening pipe was C&D Redburn in a black Clay with a fairly steady North wind blowing in my face. Created a palm wind block or tilted the pipe obliquely to the wind. First foray with this tobacco (arrived today). Aired it out for an hour before. Recognized the Dark Brown Burley base that I often smoke on its own. Quite tasty with a dose of Lady N. Will try more this blend with less wind and in a briar in a few days.

Sherlock from Ansteads Tobacco shop, in last years Peterson Christmas

20201218_064951.jpg

Pleasant Moments in an English Ben Wade. You can find the recipe posted by BriarPipeNYC in the DIY section. He certainly has the knack for blending. Since his recipe is rather rich in cigar leaf (16.6%) I've softened it a bit by adding 10% Lane unflavored toasted black Cavendish. Those who enjoy the occasional cigar should try his recipe; you can always tweak it to taste as I've done. Pleasant Moments is sufficiently different from Andullo that I'm glad I have both on hand. Best enjoyed in your man cave/workshop/shed! ;)

C&D Yorktown in a black "Offering" Clay, Cowboy Coffee on the side. Had this earlier in the morning with the Tsuge Tasting Pot that needs training. At least 90% more flavor came through in the clay. The Tsuge sure smokes well, however it's a picky pipe. May need to sand down the carbon they put in it when built. My other Tsuge smokes and brings out flavors in spades...

Just received my order of Hobbits Weed from 4 noggins. Now have a whole pound to cellar if it lasts that long, lol. Finishing a bowl in my Road Town rhodesian. These two were made for each other.

Three up this eve. WC Double Barrel Xmas 2020 blend in a Guildhall 45, a bent Dublin. Newminster #403 Superior Round Slices in a Radice Rind Billiard w/faux bamboo shank. I don't think I've been in this jar for over a year. WC Old Black Magic in the Matches 860 Tribute, the Friday Savinelli without the Haunted Bookshop; I hope John will forgive me!

Since the picky Tsuge was outside, fired her up with C&D Bluegrass. She certainly loves this tobacco. So, 2 half bowls later, we came to an understanding. Treat her real gentle, sip super, super gently (even more so than I typically do) and the flavors really bloom. Tried the same tobacco in a clay. In the clay, it was banjos, picking and grinning. In the Tsuge, it was like a night at the opera. She knows what she likes! Though I like both banjos and opera, I now know how to get the most out of this pipe.

Cowboy coffee at hand.

Well, based on you guys and your input, yesterday I said WTH and ordered Rivendell, Figgy Pudding, and Cowboy Coffee from CS. Figured who needs money in the bank anyway. If the wife questions why I need so much tobacco, remember I got a pound of Hobbits Weed yesterday, I will just blame you guys, lol.
This am some more of the 3 star blue in MM general. Want to get rid of this stuff so I can replace it with something better as I don't see it improving with age.

Enjoying a gentle bowl of C&D Montgomery in a Rossi rusticated chunky billiard with a mug of steaming Cowboy Coffee on the side. Enjoy your day folks!

Second bowl, xmas spice in my new Pete jeckyll & hyde. Much improved over the 3 star blue. Still smokes a bit wet but dropped in some keystone crystals which helped. Eagerly awaiting delivery of my new Pete from smoking pipes. A Rosslare smooth XL02 full bent apple.

It came. Woo hoo. Breaking in my new Pete with my own mix. GLP Cairo blended with some black cavendish to smooth some rough edges. Smoking great in the new Pete Rosslare.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-19-14-25-57.png
    Screenshot_2020-12-19-14-25-57.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
First smoke in a Rattray "Good Deal" rusticated Billiard, filled with C&D Dark Burley. This little pipe is fantastic! Tobacco was rich and creamy, even while sipping. Nuances of burley flowers, deep leaf, cigar undertones and smooth as silk. Cowboy Coffee at my side. Very blissful experience on the patio.

Experimenting with some fusiliers ration in a MM mark twain cob just to see how it would perform. Can't seem to make up my mind on this blend. Been smoking it for a couple of weeks now, maybe a bowl every other day. First tried it in an english dedicated stanwell. Not bad but not stellar. Then per advice tried in a big meer and it came to life. It only seems to "shine" in the meers, so guess that will have to be the go to pipe for this one.

Experimenting with some fusiliers ration in a MM mark twain cob just to see how it would perform. Can't seem to make up my mind on this blend. Been smoking it for a couple of weeks now, maybe a bowl every other day. First tried it in an english dedicated stanwell. Not bad but not stellar. Then per advice tried in a big meer and it came to life. It only seems to "shine" in the meers, so guess that will have to be the go to pipe for this one.
I'm glad that you enjoy it in your meer, but don't ever feel like you have to beat your head against a wall trying to like or understand a blend just because another member (such as myself) talk up a blend. I always try to give every blend a fair appraisal in different pipes, but there are some highly rated blends that just don't resonate with me. I like the flinty notes of Fusilier's, but that might not appeal to somebody else.

I'm glad that you enjoy it in your meer, but don't ever feel like you have to beat your head against a wall trying to like or understand a blend just because another member (such as myself) talk up a blend. I always try to give every blend a fair appraisal in different pipes, but there are some highly rated blends that just don't resonate with me. I like the flinty notes of Fusilier's, but that might not appeal to somebody else.
Brun, thanks, not really beating my head just yet. I do like this blend, just find that it is somewhat pipe specific. I do agree there are some pretty highly rated blends that just did not agree with me. Good ex. White Knight. Most reviewers proclaim it as the second coming of BSOSM. I did not find that at all. I guess it's possible my tastes have changed or my memory, lol, but I smoked a lot of BS back in the 70's and I have not found an equivalent yet. I found white knight a bit harsh and it smoked hot. So, to each his own. I may keep FR in the rotation as an occasional treat, but there are better english/balkans out there.

Wrapped up my day with a slow and easy bowl of C&D Burley Flake #5 in the Rattray stubby Billiard from earlier today. Cowboy Coffee on the side as the wind began to pick up.

An early morning, attending a workshop held by my wife (she's in India) so been going since 2:30 a.m. Just had breakfast followed by a 45 minute bowl of Rattray's Jocks Mixture in a Rossi Piccolo Belge. Cowboy Coffee and pure silence at hand. One of those, "The world is sleeping and I got the place to myself" experiences. Beautiful tobacco, akin to spending the silence with a old friend. Serene morning to you all.