What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A minute or two away from smoking Sutliff Walnut Match in a 1974 smooth slight bend Tinderbox Aalborg freehand made by Nording with a black vulcanite stem.

Following Jim Inks lead: Edward G. Robinson Blend in a Borkum Riff (Italian Stanwell). EGR has been one of my go-to comfort blends since I first tried it. However, I've re-named it to suit my fancy:
veni, vidi, vici.
Why?
1. Very oblique reference to EGR's role in the classic film Little Caesar
2. My love of history
3. Like crossing the Rubicon, once you light up there's no turning back until every last ember is gone and you re-load another bowl! :)

BoB-EGR.PNG

Just about done with sutliff vanilla custard in a Pete system. Time for some Rivendell in a Pete Rosslare. Snow is all gone and a pleasant 50 F on the patio.

Now smoking year 2016 D&R Three Sails in a smooth straight late 1970s Charatan Special 4148DC Reg. No. 203573 pot with a black double comfort vulcanite stem. Time to do some walking on this sunny, cold day.

It's very close. In a blind taste test, you would not tell one from the other.
Thanx for this observation!! I love Walnut!! Was introduced to it by our ol' brother "Justpipes!" Still have one large still-in-the-cellophane tub I picked up at the old JR's in Burlington/Mebane N.C. Have the Match also!!
On another note, good to see the "Inkster" & his comments again!! Adds a bit of "normalcy" to the world!! FTRPLT

Not far from finishing this bowl of C&D Burley Ribbon Cut in a 1970s slight bend black sandblasted Comoy's Silver Cloud 624 square shank sitter with a silver pearl gray acrylic saddle stem.

Thanx for this observation!! I love Walnut!! Was introduced to it by our ol' brother "Justpipes!" Still have one large still-in-the-cellophane tub I picked up at the old JR's in Burlington/Mebane N.C. Have the Match also!!
On another note, good to see the "Inkster" & his comments again!! Adds a bit of "normalcy" to the world!! FTRPLT
Thanks, man. I've been peeking in once in a while, but as traffic here has picked up, I feel more comfortable posting my smokes. I hate seeing so many of mine in a row without company joining in.

I wish I had stocked the original Walnut. I wasn't very smart about that.

Last edited:
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am now smoking GLP Windjammer in a 2003 medium bent Ural meer with a lined and etched egg shaped bowl with a silver band and a brown pearl acrylic stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching Mad Dog Russo.

Thanks, man. I've been peeking in once in a while, but as traffic here has picked up, I feel more comfortable posting my smokes. I hate seeing so many of mine in a row without company joining in.

Don't feel bad about posting!! When it comes to bowls in a day, you are the greyhound...the rest of us are turtles!!!!!!!!!!!! FTRPLT

A quarter of the way through this bowl of Watch City Old Black Magic in a 1970s slight bend smooth Danish Sovereign XXX 309 with a flat front sitter with a black vulcanite stem.

After lunch: Comoy Cask No, 9 in a Whitehall Algerian briar. Mild semi-aromatic may be a good choice for the beginning piper but not much to hold my interest. Won't be buying again.

Right now: Comoy Cask No. 2 in a Yves St. Claude bent brandy. Mild nutty taste reminds me of creamy chestnut soup. Not bad but another one that I won't be buying again.

After these lame bowls it will be time to pull out some Wilke with real flavor! Let's see - if I have two more pipes after dinner that will put in at just under half of Jim Inks daily dose!! ;)

Now smoking D&R Penhooker Silver in an undated straight brush etched black Molina apple with a nickel band and a black tapered vulcanite stem. Time for another set of walks.

Half way through this bowl of Wilke Chocolate in a 1979 no name French briar smooth, dark brown full bend egg with a tapered black vulcanite stem.

Well, my sweet tooth demands more, so I'm smoking Wilke Chocolate Covered Cherry Creme in a 2002 IMP smooth full bend egg shaped meer with a black acrylic saddle stem.

After dinner of rotisserie chicken and cheesy-garlicky mashed potatoes I needed something not too heavy: Orlik Golden Slice in a London-made Comoy 215.

Don't feel bad about posting!! When it comes to bowls in a day, you are the greyhound...the rest of us are turtles!!!!!!!!!!!! FTRPLT
If there's too many of mine in a row, I'll stop, and wait until others post.

Enjoyed a short nap, and am now smoking well aged Bald Headed Teacher in a medium brown, smooth octagonal paneled bowl and shank, medium bend 2016 Tim West Book Keeper 6 with a black acrylic saddle stem.

I used to smoke it occasionally back in the day (mid 70s) along with Run &Maple, SWR, Country Club, and London Dock ( a fav). Not sure how I would like it now that my tastes have matured. But I like CH, PA, and SWR so maybe would also like it. Not sure what Ftrplt meant by returning to normalcy, but glad to have you posting again. I have read a ton of your reviews on TR.com and they are usually spot on, giving consideration to personal idiosyncrasies. How about some pics of a few of the more vintage pipes? I'm still learning after taking up the pipe again 4 years ago after a 12 year hiatus and I appreciate all the info gleaned on here even if it is putting me on the road to the poorhouse, lol. BTW, nyc's Benediction in a Maestro de Paya bent bulldog.