What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a wonderful dinner of salad and salmon relaxing with some CS Northwest Trek in a vintage Hilson straight grain 1/4 bent billiard. Cafe mocha to pair. Absolutely beautiful evening here in the highlands. This will be my last smoke for today. Then it's off to watch a couple more episodes of Laredo. Good evening everyone.

I have one Ser Jacopo which is a favourite - an Insanus Spongia.

I have just ordered my first Mastro Geppetto - will let you both know how I think they compare, but probably like comparing apples and oranges given the Mastro Geppetto is a bent brandy. Guess I can comment on build quality comparison though.
Further to this discussion of Mastro Geppetto and Ser Jacopo back in April, my first Mastro Geppetto has arrived. @WarneOut was asking @Charley Scanlan about quality comparison between Ser Jacopo and Mastro Geppetto. The two I have really are quite different pipes, with the Ser Jacopo weighing 87g and the Mastro Geppetto only 54g, with quite different shapes, and a 53mm chamber versus 41mm, but in terms of quality build, I believe they are quite comparable. The rustication is similar in look and feel, with the Mastro Geppetto perhaps slightly darker. They both seem really well made. It seems to me that the only real difference in terms of quality is that the Ser Jacopo has fancier and more expensive parts such as the silver band, while the Mastro Geppetto is simpler with no band. There was a 240 Euro price difference between them, though.

The stem on my Mastro Geppetto seems very similar to that used in my Peterson Draculas, red with black ripples. See picture below with Mastro Geppetto between two of my Dracs.

I haven't smoked the Mastro Geppetto yet, so that will be the real test. Have to wait a while before that, as resting my mouth due to some health issues. Curious to see how they compare smoke wise, as the Ser Jacopo is my favourite smoker, along my my Peterson Deluxe 2s.

Attachments

• jacopo & geppetto .jpg
    jacopo & geppetto .jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • dracs & geppetto.jpg
    dracs & geppetto.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Up all night after dinner pipe mudding a couple potential burnouts, and one with a high draft hole, then I have my fingers crossed on a Savinelli that was a burnout that I pipe mudded and coated the outside hole with epoxy. I've been smoking cigars all night too to get enough ash, and they say it has to be a fine cigar too, which, is, the, part, that, hurts, the most. Hopefully saved some really nice pipes that I've had for years.
16839541297832081081531340366555.jpg

Just over a third of a bowl left of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. Been cleaning those two estate pipes.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

Almost half way through my last smoke of the day, which is Watch City Queequeg’s Moby Dick Series in a slight bend smooth brown post WWII 1940s Sasieni Ivory 101 Westminster diplomat with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Fed my cats, and three ferals, and am reading baseball box scores while this bowl lasts.
1940s_Sasieni_Ivory101_Westminster_diplomat.jpg

Love that pipe. I've admired the Ashton brindles for some time, and finally decided to get one after seeing your pipe here a little back.

Mine just arrived. I haven't smoked it yet, as I'm taking a break from the pipe for health reasons. Looking forward to smoking a bowl in it soon.
Thanks, I love this pipe, too. I like your new Ashton as well! The stem is a little brighter than mine; might be because your stem is longer. I hope your health reasons are not too serious; I had to lay off tobacco for a year and a half recently also. It turned out the problem I was having was not related to my tobacco use.