What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Balisong,

A question for you, sir. Where did you get the replacement stem for that MM pipe? I have two MM Legends, and,even through it can't clench them, I have bitten through the stems on several of their cobs in the past. Any info you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks.
I believe Walker Briarworks makes the "forever stems" still for MM pipes. You can order different stem shapes, lengths, colors, etc. They fit most any MM as long as you get the correct stem (ie filtered vs unfiltered shank).

Actually, it looks like the site is now Vermont Freehand. Not sure if they changed or if my memory is off. Either way, a good option if you want something more durable. I believe MM will also sell you replacement stems, but they will be the same as the pipe came with.

Good morning BoBs. Thought I would be able to get in an early smoke. Got up early to take Charlie out. Wife got up early so got her settled in with coffee and a cookie. Loaded up the Don Carlos bent brandy with Hobbits Weed and headed outside. Just got it lit, tamped and maybe 3 puffs when Augie and Molly started barking. So much for that, lol. So funally settled in and smoking it with a 2nd mug of cowboy coffee. Gotta head to the ranch in a couple of hours.

Another Dr.Grabow, a Silver Duke bulldog today.

Attachments

• 20240127_100640.jpg
    20240127_100640.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I believe Walker Briarworks makes the "forever stems" still for MM pipes. You can order different stem shapes, lengths, colors, etc. They fit most any MM as long as you get the correct stem (ie filtered vs unfiltered shank).

Actually, it looks like the site is now Vermont Freehand. Not sure if they changed or if my memory is off. Either way, a good option if you want something more durable. I believe MM will also sell you replacement stems, but they will be the same as the pipe came with.
Rasher-Roll,

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out today.

Couldn't sleep, so I'm up and mostly at 'em with a bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Passing the quarter mark of this bowl of C&D Toscano Maestro Allegro in a medium bend fumed tan crackled year 2020 Ahmet Govem reverse calabash meerschaum with a military mount silver band and black acrylic stem. I was going to do a set of walking reps, but the rain returned as I was getting ready to go. Oh well, I need to finish my reviewing.
Ahmet Govem reverse calabash meer.jpg

FWIW...I believe the "Walker" site closed last summer. Mike Myers was doing the pipe repairs; did great work for me. I received an email announcement saying he was closing the business. FTRPLT

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am half way through this bowl of C&D Toscano Maestro Sinfonia in an undated, unbranded straight lattice meerschaum military mount with a silver cap and tapered yellow acrylic stem. Just about completed my reviews.
Unbranded MM meer.jpg

Where did you get the replacement stem for that MM pipe?
I like the look of the "Forever Stems" from Vermont Freehand but I don't like the restricted draw and the long break in time to get rid of the plastic taste. I buy the straight Danish stems from online pipe retailers or directly from Missouri Meerschaum. I clean up the seams with a Dremel and use almost boiling water to soften them for bending, once you run cold water over them they set in their new shape.

Passing the first third of this bowl of Seattle Pipe Club Hogshead in a well appreciated medium bend, smooth brown 1950s Peterson 999 Dublin chubby Rhodesian with a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem.
Peterson_999_Rhodesian-Dublin.jpg

It's time for a long, leisurely smoke: year 2022 unreleased Sutliff Brown Virginia Flake in a 1920s medium bend smooth dark brown BBB Umbra bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem with an orific bit.
BBB_Umbra_bulldog.jpg

Wanted something different for an afternoon smoke so dug out the jar of C&D Big and Burley. Didn't like this when I first tried it, but I read that aging improves it quite a bit. So it's been jarred now for almost a year. It did improve considerably. It's smokeable but still not my cup of tea. Having it in an IMP slight bent meer bulldog. Toasted coconut tea on the side. May try mixing this with Stanwell Melange. But definitely will not be restocking it.

Almost half way through this bowl of year 2013 Stonehaven in a straight black sandblasted 1957 Barling Exel 249 Fossil T.V.F. black billiard with a silver banded military mount and a black ebonite tapered stem.
Barling_249.jpg

A third of the way through this bowl of year 2016 Wessex Gold Brick in an undated straight black sandblasted Kevin Arthur brandy with a multi-colored accent on the white acrylic saddle stem. This pipe was originally owned by Sante “FishnBanjo” Guiliani. This will get me to dinner time.
Kevin Arthur Brandy.jpg

After finishing dinner I filled a Pride with GLP Kensington, poured a glass of homemade hard cider, and, watched a Formula E race. The race is battery powered cars that look like regular open wheeled race cars. They appear to reach about 130mph and seem to handle well.