What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now smoking year 2014 Sutliff 1849 in a medium bend smooth dark brown 1968 Barling 5631 London England TVF billiard silver spigot with a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Barling_Spigot_1849.jpg

Hate vulcanite stems. I tolerate them on old English pipes because I love their aesthetic, but I am at an absolute loss as to why someone would actually want a stem that requires near constant maintenance to keep from turning green and smelling foul.

The mouthfeel argument carries no weight with me. I use softy bits on all my pipes whether acrylic or vulcanite because I am a clencher and prefer how they feel to a naked stem. When they get old I toss them out and replace them. Cost 25 cents — and my stems stay free of tooth marks.

I’m sure I just kicked a hornet’s nest 😔
I'm with you! I have more than 135 pipes (maybe 10% acrylic stems) and I recently spent a week cleaning that !@#%^* vulcanite back to black. I like acrylic and I can make bits, but no way am I going to put acrylic on my horde. When I was Davidoff's in NYC last week they had black socks on the pipe stems (mostly Dunhill) on the hanging board. It's Sun light (UV) that speeds the oxidation. I think you are better off keeping you pipes in drawers, away from the UV. And too, use the Obsidian pipe stem oil.

Did a set walking reps, and smoked a bowl of year 2016 D&R Three Sails in an undated straight brush etched black Molina apple with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. Took a couple of videos of the babies. I wish the forum software would let me post them here.
View attachment 16908
It will if you keep them short as in 20 seconds or less.

Had a bowl of Va Slices in my Black Clay earlier. Then a nap, didn't sleep much last night. I think I'll have a bowl of Casanosa in Mr Ed, my figure meer, didn't quite get there last night. Final report on my mom, the bronchial infection is secondary to COVID, and so it goes...no more on that.

Attachments

• Old German Clay.JPG
    Old German Clay.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • SMS Figurehead.jpg
    SMS Figurehead.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I've passed the first third of this bowl of year 2014 Sam Gawith Best Brown Flake in a smooth medium bend dark brown 2021 Peterson Irish Harp 80S bulldog with a silver band and a tapered reddish brown, black striped acrylic stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Watching Mad Dog Russo's High Heat broadcast from earlier today.
Peterson_IrishHarp_80S_ bbulldog.jpg

Just finished smoking year 2020 D&R Raccoon’s Delight in my very reliable smooth straight post-1938 pre-Republic Peterson Sterling Canadian 263 with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Peterson_PR_Canadian_Sterling263.jpg

Now smoking Wilke No. 72 in a pre-1974 dark brown straight Larus & Brother Co. Signature billiard with a nickel band and a tapered black vulcanite stem with the initials LCR on the top of the stem. This blend was smoked by Walter Cronkite.
Larus and Brother pot.jpg

Almost half way through this bowl of Wilke Little Round Top in an undated straight smooth brown pre-Republic Peterson’s Sterling bulldog 150 with a sterling silver band and a black vulcanite saddle p-lip stem. This blend is Back Bay with much less perique (10%) than the regular Back Bay. I let Sam out of the back room so she could get a break. Everybody else is outside except for snoozin' Daisy the Feral Princess.
Peterson_PR_Bulldog_Sterling150.jpg

Enjoyed a tasty Snap Dragon apple, and am half way through this bowl of year 2016 Sutliff Revelation Match in a straight smooth brown pre-WWII Kingsway (Comoy’s) London Made 61 Canadian with a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Comoy's_Kingsway_Canadian61.jpg

Passing the quarter mark of this bowl of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. I'll end the day with this smoke.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg