What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boswell's Chocolate Cream (First time trying it) in a Peterson Army #999.

Pembroke in a group 4 Billiard, a glass of port, and a misty, rainy evening... :cheers:

Pembroke, this time in group 5 billiard, with a cup of Earl Grey...still raining, still dreaming.

Going outside 22.F and snowing now.. Having a bowl of P&W Bohemian Mixture in my Bent Canterbury.. Coffee nice and hot.. :cheers:

PS Cube Cut in a Missouri Meerschaum General.

Just got back from a bowl of Dan's Blue Note in my 1/8 bent no name Prince.. Yep hauling more wood Muddler.. :lol!:

Wrapped-up work I brought home from the office and am rewarding self with some Ennerdale Flake in a Brebbia calabash.

Buddy

Started my afternoon off with some FVF and just finished a bowl of Haddos Delight.

Enjoying the Dunhill that has finally become available again in Chicago. Between the 965, the Nightcap, and the Virginia Flake, I'm mostly into the Nightcap. (Is it just me or does Nightcap taste a lot like Chelsea Morning?) Dunhill's Virginia Flake definitely does stand out, though I would hesitate to call it one of the best virginia flakes I've had. (maybe I'd put it in the lower half of the top ten?) I feel like I need to put in some more time with the 965 before I can make a ruling on it. But that Nightcap just jumped up and bit me, in a very good way.
I'd come close to relegating MacBaren to a similar place to Peterson in my estimation. That is to say, I was about to start thinking of it as really nice drug-store tobacco in a fancy tin. My exception to this rule with Peterson is their flakes, and it would seem that such is the case with MacBaren as well. I'm just about to pop open my second 100g tin of their Navy Flake, and it just gets more interesting. Definitely a fallout shelter tobacco (ie. if this was all I had with me in a fallout shelter I would spend more time enjoying this tobacco than thinking about all the ones I didn't have with me) (not the most elegant metaphor ever, but it does the job).
About to go smoke a bowl of Iwan Ries 3-Star Blue. I'm not quite sure why I'm doing this. I've been working on the same pouch since summer, and I'm not even halfway through it. Every few weeks I decide to give it another shot. I want so badly to like that stuff. The price can't be beat.
--one other thing: I picked up a hundred gram tin of the Solani Silver Flake. I can definitely see what people see in it. It's a good solid mix of Virginia and Dark Fire Kentucky. The epitome of what I think of when I think of that mixture. I guess it's just that I prefer that mixture in cigarettes (where it's called 'halfzware'). I've hardly touched the tin, but I've definitely smoked enough to know that it's just not for me. I'm thinking of trading it off with someone, if there's anyone interested.

Smoked a tasty bowl of 965 on the way to work. (where I am now, unfortunately!) The more I smoke this one, the more I seem to be warming up to it. Even so, I can only take a English blend once or twice a week at best. It appears to smoke very well in an Ashton straight billiard, at 3 degrees F.

Carry on!

Speaking of the 965, what can anyone tell me about the cavendish that they use int there? According to the listing on tobaccoreviews.com, 965 has no virginia in it. Does the cavendish take the place of the virginia? What exactly is 'brown cavendish"? I'm assuming this is something altogether different from the cavendish I'm going to find in Captain Black or Lane's BCA. Probably closer to the cavendish in Fox's Provost? (which, again, I'm completely in the dark on: I can't really tell what's what in there. Tobaccoreviews says it's just virginia and cavendish, but then I've heard perique, and latakia, and... yeah, can anyone tell me anything about that one?) (I'm rehydrating a tin of that as I type, thinking it might go well with the tone the 965's been establishing in my quarter bent dublin)

Smoked some of the new run of London mixture last night, really thought it fell far short of expectations. Currently recovering from the nicotine spins induced by a large bowl of mcclelland #22

gilgawulf":uqnvfp4e said:
Speaking of the 965, what can anyone tell me about the cavendish that they use int there? According to the listing on tobaccoreviews.com, 965 has no virginia in it. Does the cavendish take the place of the virginia? What exactly is 'brown cavendish"? I'm assuming this is something altogether different from the cavendish I'm going to find in Captain Black or Lane's BCA. Probably closer to the cavendish in Fox's Provost? (which, again, I'm completely in the dark on: I can't really tell what's what in there. Tobaccoreviews says it's just virginia and cavendish, but then I've heard perique, and latakia, and... yeah, can anyone tell me anything about that one?) (I'm rehydrating a tin of that as I type, thinking it might go well with the tone the 965's been establishing in my quarter bent dublin)
Hey there. Cavendish actually is a process to treat tobacco, not a tobacco itself. It is made using Virginia (Red, Bright) or Burley leaf. It´s just a process of steaming or heating and then pressing it. It is left under the press for a good while until it begins to ferment. Sugar and various casings (flavorings) are added sometimes for added sweetness. That´s the basic idea as far as I understand it.

MisterE":9qjvm2mu said:
Hey there. Cavendish actually is a process to treat tobacco, not a tobacco itself. It is made using Virginia (Red, Bright) or Burley leaf. It´s just a process of steaming or heating and then pressing it. It is left under the press for a good while until it begins to ferment. Sugar and various casings (flavorings) are added sometimes for added sweetness. That´s the basic idea as far as I understand it.
So in a way it's kind of similar to perique? I mean, minus the whiskey barrels and the years of fermentation, and plus the steaming and heating.
Your comment brings up another question I've had, and I think I'll start a thread on this topic in a more appropriate forum (ie. not in the 'what are you smoking' forum). I've heard of all sorts of different types of virginias: reds, brights, lemon, etc. etc. What are the differences between/defining characteristics of all these different virginias?

Davidoff Royalty in a Savinelli Autograph bent, blasted Dublin. Still raining out here on the coast, and loving it! :cheers: :cheers:

Going to be a busy day today.. Heading out with a bowl of Dan's Blue Note in my Wally Frank LTD Giant.. Filling up on coffee.. :cheers:
Update : Morning chores done.. Had a bowl of Erinmore Flake in my MM Pride Cob.. Getting better with use. More coffee please..

Dunhill Nightcap in my Ferndown Bark Apple...

Escudo in a new Tim Hynick cutty with his exclusive Deep Bark Finish. SUPERB
:D
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.