What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just smoked Park Lane Tobacconist's Black Forest in my new Savinelli Churchwarden. I've had the pipe for a while but was hesitant to smoke from it because I've heard that Churchwardens are tricky to smoke with. I didn't have any trouble at all. And the long stem provided a super cool smoke from which i could really appreciate the taste of the tobacco. Pretty damn good smoking session!

The time has come to wrestle with the demon. I'm off to try a half bowl of Borkum Riff Liqueur Cherry in my sacrificial Legend.

Morning bowls under the belt now were 50/50 BCA/Bestmake and followed after breakfast with Sterlings 1776 Bostonian both in a straight rusticated Kaywoodie with a ripple top rim I purchased new in the early '70's. Great smokes in a great pipe.

Afternoon smoke was Penzance poolside in my large rusticated billiard. Just look at my avatar and you can see exactly where and how I spent this afternoon.

Smoking some Boswell Christmas Cookie in my Peterson Bulldog while poking around on BoB.

Hazelnut in my self made bulldog
740.jpg

Brown Flake in a Tim Hynick SHPC POY w/ Wild Turkey 'Rare Breed' on the side :)

mooseisloose57":qq7bxb6z said:
740.jpg
that is a good lookin' doggie--i like it--

Morley's Best in a Pete B5

Uhle's Long Cut Burley in a Kaywoodie 2009 POY Bulldog.

mooseisloose57":jm1lb1dr said:
Nice bulldog and a nice blend.

I can't say I'm surprised that TobaccoReviews is given over to hyperbole. Liqueur Cherry wasn't the man-eating bog they made it out to be. That said, it wasn't any good, either.

The aroma was like cough syrup. However, the flavor wasn't evident at all. In fact, I doubt I would be able to tell it apart from my Vanilla Cream in a blind test if I wasn't allowed to smell it before lighting. Even the smoke barely had any cherry scent to it. So, not horrible, but nothing to recommend it. All that remains is to see whether it gave my Legend a "wailing ghost" and to figure out what to do with the rest of the pouch.

Having got that out of the way, I just got back from a bowl-full of Carter Hall in my Golden Duke, at long last. Good stuff, it seems like. Very nice flavor, reminiscent of granola.

It burned hotter and drier than I was expecting. There were pluses and minuses to that. What I thought would be my charring light took me through half the bowl, and my second match polished off what was left. If I didn't pay attention and adjust accordingly, the smoke would come in hotter than I was expecting. The pipe nearly got too hot to handle by the end. That was far and away the fastest I've ever gone through a bowl, and even though I was smoking after dinner, it delivered a noticeable nicotine kick.

Even with the drawbacks, I think Carter Hall's made it into my top five tobaccos, especially if I take the price into consideration. Thanks for the recommendation, CarterHallJunkie!

Robusto in a Radice. Caught a cold so everything tastes weird.

Squadron Leader in an Ashton LX Billiard. Maybe the best smoke I've ever had!

Stonehaven in a group three poker... And a Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Status
Not open for further replies.