What are you smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G.H. & co Curly Cut regular in a Castello KK collection bulldog

It's the birthday of Abraham Lincoln, born on this day in Hodgenville, Kentucky (1809). He was born in a log cabin, he had barely one year of traditional schooling, he was 6'4" and his pants were always too short, and he ended up as the 16th president of the United States.

Charles Darwin was born in Shrewsbury, England in 1809 — the exact same day as Lincoln. After Darwin visited the Galapagos Islands, he cemented his ideas about evolution, but he didn't even want to tell his friends about them, much less publish them, because he knew they would be seen as anti-religious. He finally decided to publish a book as a way to support his children, and On the Origin of Species (1859) became a huge success. He said, "A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections — a mere heart of stone."

It's the week of Valentine's Day, a week to look back on great love stories.

There is Lolita, the controversial love story by Vladimir Nabokov, published in 1955 in Paris. It was heavily censored and wasn't published for another three years in the United States. The novel begins: "Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita."

Lolita is narrated by Humbert Humbert, a middle-aged man who is obsessed with young girls. He is a scholar who moves to New England to write. He looks for a room to rent, and he meets Charlotte Haze, a prospective landlord, and he is attracted to her 12-year-old daughter, Dolores, who becomes Lolita.

Another love story is the real life romance between Anaïs Nin and Henry Miller. On this day in 1932, Anaïs wrote a letter to Henry, and said, "You make me think of Casanova, except that in between the erotic, Casanova was boring, while you, in between eroticism and even because of it, you get profound." Henry Miller was an American, living in Paris, struggling to write Tropic of Cancer. He and Anaïs Nin became lovers, despite the fact that she was also in love with Henry Miller's wife, June. Anaïs and Henry wrote hundreds of letters for more than 20 years, which were later published. So were Anaïs Nin's diaries, which detail their love affair.

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

D&R Ryback in a Rizla+ orange-label paper.

Not a pipe, I know. Stocked up on pre-SCHIP-price RYO tobacco for my girlfriend and I wanted to try it out. And I must say, not bad--sort of a topped VA/Burley, like if Mac Baren made cigs. Nothing says "Happy Valentine's Day" like a few cartons' worth of coffin nails. The couple that dodge the Revenuers together...

Currently I am not smoking. But my car is. :(

My Volvo is currently enjoying non-functioning pulleys in a 2004 smooth finished engine bay.

Another bowl of sweet Killarney in my Meerschaum.

I'm really enjoy the sweet Killarney as of late..almost a month to St.Paddy's day gentlemen.

Benjamin B. -sorry to hear about your Volvo.

Maltese Falcon in a number of different pipes! Been a good day.

Today's smoking has consisted of several wonderful bowls of Walnut in a Kaywoodie Handmade saddle bit billiard and a Tinsky Coral giant bent dublin. Currently smoking the Tinsky.

KaywoodieHandmadeBilliard.jpg

TinskyDub1.JPG

Walnut..............with a pinch 'O the GLP Cumberland in my Matzhold smoooooth Brandy

Good Morning All,

GLP Samarra in a Brigham rhodesian.

-29c early this morning Brrrrrrr

:) Paul

rick":lpfx0cfa said:
Walnut..............with a pinch 'O the GLP Cumberland in my Matzhold smoooooth Brandy
Rick, I'm gonna have to give that combination a try. Sounds interesting!

Orlik Goden Slices in the Peterson 2005 POY.

Walnut with a pinch of Cumberland makes for a good smoke, thanks..

Justpipes":usgnc1hj said:
rick":usgnc1hj said:
Rick, I'm gonna have to give that combination a try. Sounds interesting!
I've been adding a bit of a number of different latakia or orientals to my Walnut to give it a bit more of the smokie taste. My favorite is about 3/4 Walnut and 1/4 Penzance. An easy, morning smoke.

Natch

Good Morning All,

GLP Samarra in a Brigham rhodesian.

-19c with snow in the forecast

:) Paul

Good Morning to all!! Getting to lite a bowl of 5100w/ brown rope in a Nording freehand that I got from my wife about 5 or six years ago. A great smoker :sunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.