What do you collect besides pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mark":pgqkonj9 said:
Hunter5117":pgqkonj9 said:
I don't know if I actively collect anything. I have a lot of man stuff, guitars, guns, knives, fishing gear, pipes, cigars, Zippos, cameras, Apple computers, tools, etc. Most of it is way over the top of what you would need just to enjoy it as a hobby. But I can't say that I am an active collector of any of it.
Brings up a question,,,in order to be a collector do you have to actively seek out the object, or just someday take a look around your casa and see a shitload of a particular item.

collector = voluntary

Amasser = collection by accident

Hoarder = my wife

Mark i think its the latter

pics of beautiful women
81453420.jpg

468.jpg

2323145434_48714438fc.jpg
\
ec3275c5.jpg

I'm starting a collection of booze that I never have a chance to drink. But it's okay, my dad comes over and drinks it for me! LOL :lol!:

I use to collect baseball caps (non-baseball team related) from where ever in the world I traveled. British Enfield rifles from WWI and WWII (I have one of the last No.4 Mk II's produced, unfired that was made in the fifties for Ireland). At one time my collection was up to twenty rifles and one Enfield pistol. I'm down to about eight now. Now my gun collection is leaning towards cowboy action shooting.

Rocks/gems/minerals, caps, T-shirts, books, mini-bottles, beer glasses/mugs, shot glasses, coffee mugs, trinkets, knives, coins and coin magic equip., CDs from known entertainers, different material pipes, and a few others I can't think of now.

Jim

Grey hair. Because of my collection of girls [a house full of them] and junk.

I collect telegraphy instruments. I've got a nice (albeit small) collection of Morse code keys, speed keys, and the occasional land line telegraphy souder. I've been a Ham Radio operator for many years. I was very disappointed when they took Morse out of the licensing for being a Ham. But as a code operator I will proudly be tapping my keys long after they have relegated us to the status of Civil War reinactors (no offense intended to reinactors.)

Bill, KD4AL

Instead of starting a new tread, I searched and found this one and thought I'd revive it. I don't really amass anything anymore, 1200 sq ft makes you be a little more selective. I do however have a few things that I really enjoy and will add to when I come across something unusual. They are Steinbach Nutcrackers, (which I like because I only set them out during Christmas season so they don't take up a huge amount of room all year long. When Christmas is over I store them in a couple of sea chests in the closet.) Allis Chalmers toy tractors, (my Dad worked for AC until they left the US. I only have a few AC tractors.) and teapots. My teapots are useful and unusual, I have a couple of Yixing clay pots, a Hound of the Baskervilles teapot by Sadler, a Brown Betty made in England, and a really neat Majolica Frog teapot from my wife along with a few others.

And my latest collection has become canes. I have a nice blackthorn cane from Ireland and a really neat carved raven cane from a friend. Funny how necessity can make someone a collector. :lol:

So there HAS to be other collectors among the lot of you. Please share, you never know, I might get you in the Secret Santa thing and need ideas. ;) :lol:

Milk glass, the white glass, but has to be rare pieces from the turn of the century.

Vintage umbrellas. So far my favourites must be some from 50's; they don't make umbrellas like that anymore. Durable, light, elegant. My oldest ones are pre-WW2. I've been collecting them since I was a teenager, but the collection hasn't grown to be that big, as I use them and am very absent-minded... :lol:

(By the way, back in the day when I was a suspect in an arson case, I was described in a local magazine to have been "armed with an umbrella". :lol: Been wondering ever since if I should put that in my CV...)

beetlejazz":d3pcm2v2 said:
By the way, back in the day when I was a suspect in an arson case, I was described in a local magazine to have been "armed with an umbrella". :lol: Been wondering ever since if I should put that in my CV...
I knew it! You must have been the real KGB agent that assassinated Georgi Markov!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/poison-umbrella-murder-case-is-reopened-851022.html

As far as collecting goes, PAD is by far the most dominant force, but I also have a fondness for cufflinks and am starting to fancy antique pocket watches, though I don't know much about them yet.

Ocelot55":5151nxxn said:
beetlejazz":5151nxxn said:
By the way, back in the day when I was a suspect in an arson case, I was described in a local magazine to have been "armed with an umbrella". :lol: Been wondering ever since if I should put that in my CV...
I knew it! You must have been the real KGB agent that assassinated Georgi Markov!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/poison-umbrella-murder-case-is-reopened-851022.html

As far as collecting goes, PAD is by far the most dominant force, but I also have a fondness for cufflinks and am starting to fancy antique pocket watches, though I don't know much about them yet.
1978... I think this is where your theory falls apart. :lol:

Cufflinks rock! :D