What do your wives think of pipe smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She’s not crazy about it, but fact is of all the “bad habits” a gentleman of a certain vintage could come down with, pipe smoking is among the least objectionable and least expensive. I almost always smoke outside. I find it very, very calming. I enjoy sitting on the bench under my maple trees smoking and chatting with passers by, dog walkers, new and old neighbors ... I’m indifferent to objections from adult non-smokers and have pretty much mastered the silent glower. I avoid smoking around youngsters. Hey, if a guy has footed family bills for nearly fifty years he gradually leaves behind the obligation to explain everything he does.

I've been blessed with a wife who really enjoys my pipe smoking - even the Lat blends I favor. I won the marital lottery in that regard!

The wife hates it! I smoke cigars every day in the man cave which is the basement/family room and it has an exhaust fan, but the pipe smoke "makes her sick". Go figure. Too cold around these parts to smoke in the garage or outside at this time of year, so my pipe smoking is limited to my office for a while.

She Who Must Be Obeyed puts up with it, as she knows it keeps me from becoming the psychotic axe murdered that I really am. :twisted:   However, I never smoke indoors.  I have a nice bit of woods behind the house with several fire-pits to sit by in colder weather.  

Also, for several of you that indicated that it's hard to smoke in cold weather, look up my How I Smoke in Cold Weather post of 1/1/13 for some ideas.

Natch

I'm blessed to have a spouse that enjoys the smell of pipe tobacco. Or, I should say, most pipe tobacco. Some of my stronger English blends can be a bit much for her, but, all in all, she's pretty tolerant.

I too am blessed in this regard. Wife and all three kids very much in favor of my pipe smoking. Kids get excited whenever the postman brings any packages they think may be pipe related. :afro:

Not only does my wife not like smoke, she is allergic to it. If I make the mistake of stepping inside with my pipe lit--I hear about it! Kicks her allergies into high gear then her asthma kicks in and I'm in deep trouble for awhile. She also has a very good nose, so I can do a few puffs in the house YESTERDAY and she will smell it today. Can't get close to her after smoking. No threats of violence!

Mine tolerates the balkans and english blends

She said H&H anniversary cake smells like my bay rum aftershave...

My wife who smoked for 40 years couldn't care less. She's allergic to a few lakelands, but then again, who isn't? :p

My wife loves the way a good aromatic makes the house smell. She doesn't like me walking around the house smoking cigars, but loves when I walk around smoking my pipe.

The wife is an occasional smoker and doesn't care if I smoke in the house. I rarely do and limit it to the basement. Whatever we scorch for dinner covers up the smells, too.