What is the strongest heaviest English blend?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Stogiegila, the strongest English Blend I’ve tried so far is Bill Bailey’s Balkan Blend by Dan Tobacco. It’s not a tobacco I could smoke every day, but when you’re in the mood for a strong, spicy Latakia Blend, this is it!

The above mentioned Ashton Artisan’s Blend is another one still on my must-try list. As is Peterson’s Old Dublin.

Ha, my first thought was bow-legged bear when i read the title. But yeah, pretty mild in flavor, but certainly the highest nic content i think i've ever smoked. Nothin like that throat closin feelin. XD

I'd second the Old Dog and Commonwealth as far as fuller flavor goes. Both excellent blends. (I'm almost ashamed to admit that I bought Old Dog purely based on the label. I'm a sucker for dogs. :D)

"Strongest" and "Heaviest" may not go together. Though many think of tons-o-latakia when they think of heavy, the stuff actually falls pretty low on the strength-o-meter, despite the weight of the smoky goodness. And, more isn't necessarily going to seem fuller, either.

When there's a LOT of latakia in a blend, the palate becomes fatigued pretty quickly. While the first few puffs may deliver a boatload of flavour, the ensuing attenuation of the senses will tend to make those flavours seem smaller over time. Paradoxically, orientals can increase the apparent weight and intensity of the smoke, despite being fairly mild on their own, and virginias can help to prevent palate fatigue because their sugar content tends to refresh and reset the sensors. So, something with 50% latakia (quite a lot) can seem fuller, heavier and stronger than a blend with 80% of the stuff, which can be dull and monotonous, and ultimately, thin tasting.

Another thing to consider is personal chemistry and preference. I know some blends that I'd consider very full that others think of as light or medium, and vice versa. What's heavy for one might be a lightweight to another.

That said, there are some contenders mentioned that are probably almost universally considered heavy, if not strong. For the heaviest AND strongest, I'd have to go back to some blends that are long lost to the ravages of time. The old Dunhill Nightcap would fit, as would the original Craven Mixture, and a few others. These were blends that I had to smoke carefully in small pipes in order to avoid a nicotine knockout. Later examples were somewhat tamer…

In my own range, Abingdon might serve, or Charing Cross. These are not particularly strong, but they are fairly full. Quiet Nights isn't as full, but seems a little stronger. Getting both in one package isn't so easy.

highpockets":kquska10 said:
I would like to try some Walnut. Do you know where I could purchase a small quantity just in case it didn't suit me? I found some on line but it required the purchase of a "bucket" of it. Thanks
PM me your sail mail addy and we can fix that! :D

I got you Piet and Hunter! There is a reson that JM Walnut has been on the market since 1856! Though many have attempted to, they can not argue with that!

Some blends I like that fit in this genre(s): Fairmorn's Lancer's Slices; C&D Pirate Kake; Grant's Emperor Norton; and Park Lane has several, with Bengal modeled after the eponymous Slices and PL 11012 among them. Then there are the Hermit's, notably Ten Russians and the just released Stimulus Package.

hp
les

Stogiegila":26ssagt3 said:
beaupipe":26ssagt3 said:
Stogiegila":26ssagt3 said:
I know, Piet. I just wanted to add it to the mix. This way I can compare the old classic to Exhausted Rooster and Bald Headed Teacher. :D

thanks for watching my back bro!
No Walnut?
Who's Walnut? Never heard of it. Or the Uhle's either :oops:
Uhle's is one of the older B&M still operating in North America. They have some wonderful, hand-made blends, and I think Bishop's Move is their best in the latakia area. Though I find it very full and flavorful, I don't find it strong in taste. Very rounded edges and everything seems to meld nicely, it's my favorite latakia blend these days. Their #300 Cubed Burley is also wonderful.

Natch

I have recently been smoking Wilderness, Nocturne and Three Oaks Syrian. Wilderness is a new blend that gets good reviews, Nocturne is a Kansas City Pipe Club blend and Three Oaks has been around for a while but the more recent addition contains Syrian Latakia. I'm partial to English/Balkan blends and I'm a latakia lover so these tobaccos are right up my alley. Nocturne is a sleeper and most guys have not heard of it but I can say of the three blends it is my personal favorite.

Strongest heaviest English blend. A re-creation of dunhills A11010 now made by Park Lane Tobacconist.
Heavy duty
:cheers:

It's nice to see that some of you are into the Old Dog, as I just got my first tin today. If I hadn't just lit up a lovely Va Flake, I'd have to pack a bowl right now.

For a true English, and not just a lat bomb, Dunhill London Mixture, Dunhill Nightcap, Uhle's Bishop's Move, and GLP Quiet Nights. Dunhill London Mixture is the benchmark as far as I am concerned.

Speaking of Quiet Nights, I just got my first tin. It is amazing. When I first lit it up I thought, "aw, just another latakia heavy blend..." but it gets so good. New favorite English for sure.

I find that the Savinelli English Mixture is much stronger than any of my other English's including Dunhill Nightcap, Frog Morton, and Penzance

The heaviest Lat I have tried to date is without a doubt, Captain Earle's Ten Russians. Whoa! Talk about a Lat bomb. Ten Russians will knock you on your -ss! Good, quality tobacco but make sure you don't smoke this on an empty stomach (a steak and potatoes meal prior to smoking is probably the right way to go).

Wilderness is very smooth, a blend I smoke all the time and full of flavor (as is Maltese Falcon--these are two of my favorites!)

sorringowl":7lo4ci85 said:
Wilderness is very smooth, a blend I smoke all the time and full of flavor (as is Maltese Falcon--these are two of my favorites!)
I just tried Wilderness tonight...it just moved into my top 5 list

IMHO a couple of the "richer" tasting latakia blends would be Bufflehead Snow Goose, London Blend 1000, Old Ironsides, Fairmorns Lancers Slices and Bill Baileys Balkan blend. The only one that I know of that is still available is the Lancers Slcies.

I love the Lancer's Slices. Smokes like a dream, stays lit and tastes incredible.