What Is Your Favorite Morning Smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarterHallJunkie

Reaction score
Good Morning/Afternoon Gentlemen,

I'm wondering what your favorite morning smoking blend might be. I have been trying out Chelsea Morning from G.L. Pease for the last few days.

I have enjoyed it - bit always looking to hear what you guys smoke - this time in the morning - maybe with a cup o joe.

Frank

btw...I have changed up my pipe site - it's now called Cob Puffer

Mine varies. For example, this morning it's Larry's Blend. Generally, I prefer a light aro in the morning. A favorite is a 50/50 mix of Lane's BCA with Wilkes Bestmake.

Interesting question. I introduced a friend to the custom blend and he asked the same question. When he ordered the tobacco's he smoked them both individually. His response was that they were nothing special. However, the combination is a very good all day smoke. I have not sampled either tobacco prior to mixing them. I usually smoke this aromatic in the morning and then proceed to latakia blends for the remainder of the day and into the evening. BCA/Bestmake does not leave any wet dottle and it does not leave a ghost. I smoke it in all of my pipes most every morning. It was originally a gift from internet friend JCSOLDIT. I purchase BCA from Smokingpipes and the Bestmake from Pipeworks and Wilkes in Montpelier VT.

MisterE":9bgtucox said:
I usually go with a tried and true Vaper like Escudo or PS Bullseye with my morning coffee.
I've been having a bad time with perique this week for some reason - I've been fighting a stomach virus and this might be the cause. The pepper of perique has not been sitting well.

Noting the smoke for reference when the bug goes away.

CarterHallJunkie: I just read a TobaccoReview of BCA. One gentleman mixed it 50/50 with Stokebye's Whiskey blend. He gives it four stars. Others have reported very bland comments about BCA straight. So there seems to be some consistency. It is probably a great mixer tobacco rather than a great straight blend. If you try it, please let me know what mix you prefer.

A morning bowl for me usually usually consists of something with a sort of sweet tartness, usually with an oriental feature of some sort: Red Rapparree, DH EMP, Chelsea Morning, a McC oriental blend, Chelsea Morning, Westminster, Sunday Picnic, etc.

I'd say 7 out of 10 times it's one of those blends or something similar...I find oriental featuring blends are often good for waking up the palate and generally aren't too strong flavored or nic-heavy for a morning smoke.

2 out of 10 times it's probably Orlik Golden Sliced, 'cause it's got a nice bright citrusy sweetness that reminds me of orange juice.

The remaining 1 out of 10 times is for the occasional random "just 'cause I feel like something different" blend.

For me, morning smokes depend on the purpose I am trying to achieve with the smoke. If I have to get up extra early for something and need to wake up quickly and get a jolt, it is straight black coffee with a bowl of Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Bird's Eye or G&H Dark Flake Unscented. I guarantee anyone that needs to wake up quickly that this combo will do the trick, lol!!! If I am in the mood to read a book or magazine and don't want to involve myself too much with the smoke, it is usually a nice Burley like Solani ABF. Finally, when I feel like just sitting down, relaxing, and doing a little morning contemplation, it is usually a nice, light English with some good Orientals and a lot of complexity. In this situation, I find some nicely aged Pipeworks&Wilke #10 seems to fit the bill perfectly.

-Scott

As a simple newb, if I smoke in the AM it's gonna be an aro...Lane 1Q or Altadis Irish Creme....

It varies; generally a lighter VAPER, like Dan Tobacco's Hamborger Veermaster or Two Friends Redwood. Many days my first smoke of the day with coffee is a small light-body cigar, such as an AVO Purito, to "get the juices flowing", followed by a pipe.

Early Morning pipe was in my list...I just abbreviated it 'cause I'm lazy.

Of course now I had to go and make a whole other post just to point it out, so I guess this is a prime example of how doing something in a lazy manner usually just leads to more work later. :lol:

MisterE":kkvb6w8n said:
I usually go with a tried and true Vaper like Escudo or PS Bullseye with my morning coffee.
You beat me to it, MisterE!!

Luxury Bullseye flake nearly every morning for me! Not too strong, not too weak. Sweet and spicy. Goes well with coffee or tea. And when I catch a whiff of the sidestreem I feel "awake"

Sometimes my first bowl of Bullseye flake is so delicious, it's all I smoke the rest of the day.

Like many, I vary from day to day. But over the past few months, perhaps half of my morning bowls (and I do have a bowl 99 out of 100 mornings!) have been an odd mixture of roughly 50% some cheaper latakia blends (I'm going through PS English Luxury right now) roughly 30% some cheaper cubed burley or Virginia blend that isn't a favorite of mine, and roughly 20% some aromatic (usually a Boswells or Poretti).

It may seem odd to mix these non-favorite blends, but over the years I usually will buy a pound of any bulk just to try it, and found out it wasn't great to me by itself, but they do seem to mix nicely.

Or perhaps because my mouth/brain are still comatose at 5:00 AM, I can get away with smoking my blend de crap and not know better?

Natch

Natch":3splsuj6 said:
Or perhaps because my mouth/brain are still comatose at 5:00 AM, I can get away with smoking my blend de crap and not know better?

Natch
*laughing* Maybe that's what's been wrong with my puffer this week - I'm still comatose and don't know any better!

Thanks Natch for the suggestions and the chuckle.