What movie are you watching?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
51uoxovQpbL._AC_US218_.jpg

Fantastic account of a true story.

A young man snowboarding on a mountain gets lost, and proceeds to keep himself alive over 8 grueling days.

Well acted, and the reality of it being based on a true story hit home with me.

Highly recommended.

8)

Cheers,

RR

51vkZEiPcML._AC_US218_.jpg

The classic B&W flick from '62 starring Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. Been a long time since I last saw this and had forgotten many of the details.

What a great and creepy movie. Certainly one of if not Bette Davis' finest. Highly recommended!

8)

Cheers,

RR

For "gunfighter" Western lovers, one of the best in my estimation. Have watched it several times. The casting of Lance Henriksen as the tired but still deadly gunfighter is absolute perfection. Great acting, generally, and the narrative effectively smooths over the cliches that this genre is riddled with. It even has a "touching" ending, ala Shane. If you don't care for westerns, forget it. I have it on DVD, which I think is out of print, but it's up on YouTube for free, as I remember.

51JPY2GMS1L._AC_US218_.jpg

Being as I'm fully in the mode of all things WWII and D-Day in particular, I just had to revisit this flick I saw too many years ago. And what an all-star cast - in fact it reads like a "Who's Who" in the world of great actors of that day and age:

John Wayne, Robert Ryan, Richard Burton, Henry Fonda, Robert Mitchum, Roddy McDowall, Sal Mineo, Fabian, Eddie Albert, Sean Connery, Paul Anka, Red Buttons, Rod Steiger, Peter Lawford, Robert Wagner, George Segall, and many others.

Long film - 3 hrs - and I set aside the time to see it without interruption. Glad I did for continuity sake.

In his excellent book "D-Day" by Steven Ambrose, he references "The Longest Day" and points out that the landing craft depictions on Omaha and Utah beach never were that easy or free of problems. Perhaps "Band Of Brothers" does more justice to this historic event.

Whatever, "The Longest day" is still worthy of viewing and I'm glad I just did,

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":q9dtg0bl said:
51JPY2GMS1L._AC_US218_.jpg

Being as I'm fully in the mode of all things WWII and D-Day in particular, I just had to revisit this flick I saw too many years ago. And what an all-star cast - in fact it reads like a "Who's Who" in the world of great actors of that day and age:

John Wayne, Robert Ryan, Richard Burton, Henry Fonda, Robert Mitchum, Roddy McDowall, Sal Mineo, Fabian, Eddie Albert, Sean Connery, Paul Anka, Red Buttons, Rod Steiger, Peter Lawford, Robert Wagner, George Segall, and many others.

Long film - 3 hrs - and I set aside the time to see it without interruption. Glad I did for continuity sake.

In his excellent book "D-Day" by Steven Ambrose, he references "The Longest Day" and points out that the landing craft depictions on Omaha and Utah beach never were that easy or free of problems. Perhaps "Band Of Brothers" does more justice to this historic event.

Whatever, "The Longest day" is still worthy of viewing and I'm glad I just did,

Cheers,

RR
Great film that Rande which, if I recall correctly, shows the taking of Pegasus Bridge. I can feel some more pictures from my recent visit coming on....!

51aCM+gu0nL._AC_US218_.jpg

Ya, a little bit of fluff. But I'd never seen this before, and now that Burt Reynolds has passed I figured it was time. Got it through my local library.

I enjoyed it, including and especially the soundtrack since I'm a huge Jerry Reed fan.

8)

Cheers,

RR

D.L.Ruth":geufzw01 said:
Brewdude":geufzw01 said:
41S7SPK5XML._AC_US218_.jpg

More fluff, this time a silly one. Still, the two chicks are easy on the eyes!

Cheers,

RR
Haha, I actually really like that movie...

...please don't judge me lol
It's pretty goofy, but also reminds me of how "cliquey" HS was, even though my graduating class would have been much earlier than the one depicted here. Same meanness, put downs, and arrogance though.

On that note, it was great to see how Romy and Michelle triumphed in the end. OTOH they both were stunning and hard to understand why they weren't considered "A team" in the parlance of the dialog.

Ya, it was all part of the plot and storyline in the end. And Romy and Michelle were appropriately goofy and kind of "valley girls" if you get the inference. Still, sometimes I just want some silly movie as pure entertainment fodder. So sue me!

Cheers,

RR

61XyQxiiG1L._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this yesterday afternoon as one of the free weekly movies at the rec center near me. This is included with my annual membership dues  and while some of the movies don't interest me I figured I'd give this one a shot since I had nothing better to do.

It's kind of a chick flick, but I actually enjoyed it. Basically it's about a super intelligent kid and his family.

Cheers,

RR

My 25 y.o. daughter came over to visit for the weekend. On the way here she picked up a few movies at a RedBox thing. She and Mom stayed up for popcorn & flicks after I crashed early.  The first movie was “8th Grade”...a coming of age story in almost the exact meaning of the term. Right before the girls turned it off...our heroine was going online to learn how to do a proper BJ in order to impress a boy on her bus she had a crush on...OMG! It looked so innocent in the description too.

So I guess this is more of a “What movies are you NOT watching” thing.

The movie scored a crazy 99% on Rotten Tomatoes”! Help!

Just came back from seeing this at the rec center (free movies on Sat afternoon)-

61o28CM5rSL._AC_US218_.jpg

Pretty silly but lots of action. Plus the special effects were above average. It was worth the time invested but I won't be getting a DVD of it in.

Cheers,

RR

I've been fascinated with the story of The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson ever since reading it a year or two ago; as evidenced by my avatar and recent pipe purchase. Until today I have never watched an adaptation of the book, but I came across this movie while browsing youtube and found it very well done and enjoyable.

If you have time...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1mQt5FreIiQ" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

The Kingsman. Perhaps the 5th time I've seen it. A bit OTT violent in places but generally very entertaining. Very British in places too. :)

Operation Chromite - a true and v interesting Op during the Korean War - with Liam Neeson playing General Macarthur.

Of course, being Macarthur there's a bit of pipe action, but I'm not sure if it's bang on factually correct.  Macarthur is known for a v distinctive style of cob now immortalised by MM, but in the film he's smoking what looks to be a Country Gent that probably hasn't seen bowl fired up in it before.  Film's a bit CGI heavy in places too.

51mmZKi6qML._AC_US218_.jpg

It's been years since I first saw this and what a wonderful movie to re-visit. The fab four are in their prime here and offer much comedy amongst the madcap storyline. I even recognized several other actors that went on to other Brit shows.

Cheers,

RR