What movie are you watching?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came across an old movie called Daughter of the Dragon (1931) a few days ago, in which the villain, Dr. Fu Manchu, murdered his enemy, Sir John somebody, in the most heinous way imaginable - by poisoning his pipe tobacco.  The madman.  :shock:

Saw this last night-

51JrykSOR-L._AC_US218_.jpg

Pretty good flick. Not sure how accurate it was since it seemed to portray Churchill as opposed to the allied D-Day plans. Is this is historically accurate?

In any case it held my attention, and the actor Brian Cox is brilliant as Winston. Plenty of cigar smoking and drinking was shown, which the great man was certainly known for!

Highly recommended.

Cheers,

RR

The Way Back.

True story of some plucky chaps (one American) who escaped from a Gulag in Siberia and walked 4000 miles to India and freedom.

Inspiring viewing.

Stick":netvkgbj said:
The Way Back.

True story of some plucky chaps (one American) who escaped from a Gulag in Siberia and walked 4000 miles to India and freedom.

Inspiring viewing.
Think I may have read this book mate. Didn't realise it was made into a movie. Now off to my library site to see if they have it on offer, as I really enjoyed the book.

<<edit- yes the library has it and I just reserved it. I'm #8 in the que. Ta very much for the prompt!>>

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":epv8xstp said:
Stick":epv8xstp said:
The Way Back.

Inspiring viewing.
Think I may have read this book mate. Didn't realise it was made into a movie. Now off to my library site to see if they have it on offer, as I really enjoyed the book.

<<edit- yes the library has it and I just reserved it. I'm #8 in the que. Ta very much for the prompt!>>

Cheers,

RR
Doubt you'll be disappointed Rande. Ed Harris plays his role wonderfully.

Stick":52fqh42l said:
Brewdude":52fqh42l said:
Stick":52fqh42l said:
The Way Back.

Inspiring viewing.

Cheers,

RR

Doubt you'll be disappointed Rande. Ed Harris plays his role wonderfully.
Will report back in due course Squire!

Cheers,

RR

Watched the latest Star Wars movie. I think I dozed off at some point. Saw the end though.

Interesting.

And now for a bit of fluff-

51aUAckFW8L._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this when it first came out ('79) and wanted to re-visit it. And so I did last evening courtesy of our library.

From wiki-

The Warriors is a 1979 American action thriller film directed by Walter Hill and based on Sol Yurick's 1965 novel of the same name. This novel was, in turn, based on Xenophon's Anabasis. The story centers on a New York City gang who must make an urban journey of 30 miles (48 km), from the north end of The Bronx to their home turf in southern Brooklyn, after they are framed for the murder of a respected gang leader. It was released in the United States on February 9, 1979.

Very 70's in many respects. Joe Walsh provided the theme song (In the City) which was big back in the day.

Good or fluff? You decide.

:|

Cheers,

RR

OK, so I'm a big Eric Clapton fan from way back. Just watched this "documentary" (Quotes because I question if it's a bona fide documentary by the person in question).

51iZh6C-eQL._AC_US218_.jpg

What it is, is a bewildering collection of clips and narrative that serves to chronicle the life and times of one of the leading influences of blues/rock from the '60's onward.

Admittedly, some of the dialogue is a bit difficult to make out. But there again  it was filmed in the technology of the day, which wasn't very sophisticated. In fact much of it was gleaned from consumer gear. Home videos.

All that notwithstanding, if you're a Clapton devotee like myself it's required viewing. In fact I often like to say that "I came up in the Eric Clapton school of musical expression". Such was his influence on me as a budding picker in the 60's.

I can also highly recommend his own authorized autobiography "Clapton". I've read this several times and it certainly corresponds with the flick.

41qdc4M7-aL._AC_US218_.jpg

Cheers,

RR

This last night-

51OUSKtmFDL._AC_US218_.jpg

Semi - obscure flick from NZ that tells the story about a city boy with lots of behaviour issues getting placed in foster care with a family that lives in the NZ bush. He and his "Uncle" then take to the bush as they are being pursued by the authorities who want to resettle him with another foster family.

My UK mate Ian put me on to this one and frankly the dialogue was difficult to understand, in part due to the thick NZ accent. Almost gave up on it but got through to the end since I still got the general idea.

Meh!

Cheers,

RR

51M3X7Uq2FL._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this many year ago and just revisited. Very poignant and moving.

It's a well documented and acted account of one Christy Brown, who was born in Dublin in 1932 into a large family of working class parents. He had Cerebral Palsy, and had limited access to his limbs and speech.

Back then, children with this affliction were usually placed in an institution to rot and be forgotten. Yet his family embraced him and encouraged him with all his physical failings.

Christy went on to great achievements. He used his left foot to paint, type and much more. He wrote several novels, poetry, and made a name for himself. It shows what someone with severe CP can do if determined.

This should be an inspiration to us all.

Highly recommended.

Cheers,

RR

Just watched Darkest Hour, courtesy of YouTube and five bucks. Yes, Oldman  is very good; he becomes Churchill quite convincingly. Dunkirk is next, I'm thinkin'. I like the order, rather than the other way around.

512e1kethAL._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this 1922 flick for the first time today. Always wanted to watch it, and it was great! Courtesy of our library system too, so didn't cost a cent.

The film was restored pretty well, and the accompanying musical soundtrack was very well done.

Very creepy movie. If I'd have watched this as a little kid I'd have been scared out of my be-jeepers! And I loved scary movies as a kid too.

This was very well done for its day and age. Sort of the precursor to to the Dracula movies which followed. But certainly based on the original book by Bram Stoker.

Highly recommended.

Cheers,

RR

Just finished this 4-disc set:

51Y5hc50n5L._AC_US218_.jpg

This collection includes all the classic flicks-

Frankenstein
The Bride Of Frankenstein
Son Of Frankenstein
Ghost Of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man
House Of Frankenstein
House Of Dracula
Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein
Plus bonus tracks

Saw many of these as a kid since I was heavily into monster movies back then.

Cheers,

RR

After reading the book, I had to see the movie-

51J0EY7XQ6L._AC_US218_.jpg

Very chilling, and pretty accurate as far as I could tell from the Capote book. Robert Blake is great in his role.

What an awful tragedy though. :no:

Cheers?

RR

51fUqEgoPoL._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw this many years ago and just re-visited it. A very sad and sobering (pun intended) account of alcoholism and two folks who went down the path.

Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick star, with Jack Klugman. Well acted and a frightening tale well told.

Cheers,

RR