What shapes do you dislike the most?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kinda feel sorry for you fellas. I like every one you've mentioned so far. (except the fat woman). I enjoy changing from a Free Form to a Prince to a Oom Paul/Hungarian in one day. I like smoking a Churchwarden and then going to a straight Bulldog. Variety is the spice of life boys. Any pipe is a work of art. Thankfully they vary in shape, style, finish and material. I for one would be bored smoking different 20 bililards a week. Not all will smoke the same and not all will meet your fancy, that's true, but there's not a one I'd not consider if it caught my eye.
So if I had to join in on this subject I'm going to say it's my newest purchase, a Savenelli Roley. The stem has fallen out twice and I almost burnt my nose the first time I lit up.
Oh wait! I have another shape I dislike. It's the HOOKA! :p

Falconer Wrote:
Oh wait! I have another shape I dislike. It's the HOOKA!

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Churchwarden, Cutty, square planels, Free hands............... and Natch's "yogurt gobbler"!!!
Interesting thread Mudd.....cool!

Not a big fan of bridges, quaints / princes, anything with bamboo attached to it, pots, and anything that is "twisted" in appearance (ie:carved in a spiral shape around the shank or stem).

For those of you who mentioned Rhodesian & Bulldog shapes, feel free to send them to me!!!! I will give them a good home........... :p

DoverPipes":y8wuoy9f said:
Not a big fan of bridges, quaints / princes, anything with bamboo attached to it, pots, and anything that is "twisted" in appearance (ie:carved in a spiral shape around the shank or stem).

For those of you who mentioned Rhodesian & Bulldog shapes, feel free to send them to me!!!! I will give them a good home........... :p
Now why didn't I think of that??????? :face: :face:

Straight pipes, especially billiards, bore me. Danish freehands are tiresome.

Best shapes for me are invariably bent and in the rounded bowl family--bulldogs, Rhodesians, apples. I also like pokers .

Aesthetically, I like the looks of bent pipes and have a few in my collection, but they never make it into regular rotation because I don't like smoking them if they are more than about 1/4 bent.

Regarding bowl shapes, I am not partial to princes and brandy/acorns, which is funny because the fellow who inspired me to smoke a pipe only smoked princes and I thought they were the coolest shape way back then. Really any overly slender pipes, Bings would be another one.

Other than that, I like most shapes and finishes including most freehands, and have really been looking for more bamboo and other exotic types after having finally purchased a couple that I like a lot. I still have not gotten past the pipes that don't look like a pipe but rather a hunk of driftwood or whatever with a stem stuck out of the least likely place.

Well for me i think the Bamboo looks tacky, as well as some of the new carbon-fiber coatings from Chacom(neat idea though). never was a fan of Oom Paul(hair-pin turns are too dangerous). As for the rest i am open for trying.

I like most of the traditional shapes, though I stay away from most bends more than 1/4 or so. Don't care for any of the "Danish", freehand or "modern" stuff.

Dang Matt you went back a ways for this one. We've probably all got completely different opinions by now. One week I love Oom Pauls the next I think they're stupid looking. Today (no everyday I reeckon) I would say I have a definate distate and dislike for the Kracken Pipe. :D

Yeah, it's funny how tastes change. I've been leaning towards small, lightweight pipes currently. Those Ardor Giants aren't for me!

Matt

Charatan did have some strange shapes, but I don't know what most of them are called. Hawkbills and super chubby/stubby pipes don't always do it for me, however, any shape executed with flair could potentially catch my eye. Some of Larry Roush's pipes come to mind. Technically, they often go against what I normally find attractive in a pipe, but they are so beautifully made, I can't help but appreciate them.

Any shape that wasn't made previous to 1950 and/or is more than 1/4 bent.

Hold the Flying Esquimo Foot. :evil:

:face:

"Hold the Flying Esquimo Foot."

Okay, I'm gonna need a pic of that one. :scratch:

I don't like pokers, stacks, pickaxes, panels, or some freehands. I don't like carvings or rustication. I don't like acryclic, bamboo. or plateau rims. I hate lacquer and any sort of paint. Most of the time I don't like asymmetry. Hmm, the list turned out much longer than expected. Maybe I should post a list of what I DO like!