What shapes do you dislike the most?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jvillaveces":ezpmj6hb said:
I don't like pokers, stacks, pickaxes, panels, or some freehands. I don't like carvings or rustication. I don't like acryclic, bamboo. or plateau rims. I hate lacquer and any sort of paint. Most of the time I don't like asymmetry. Hmm, the list turned out much longer than expected. Maybe I should post a list of what I DO like!
Not even a bamboo like this?
dsc02110.jpg

Left out jewelry (except Peterson Napkin Rings).

Flying Esquimo Foot : PeeBee's phrase from back in one of the early pipes discussions here. The modern art folks and the traditionalist curnudgeons fairly got into it. Tried several ways to find the thread with the search engine here but it's $#@&ing worthless.

:face:

Falconer":t2pxphnw said:
jvillaveces":t2pxphnw said:
I don't like pokers, stacks, pickaxes, panels, or some freehands. I don't like carvings or rustication. I don't like acryclic, bamboo. or plateau rims. I hate lacquer and any sort of paint. Most of the time I don't like asymmetry. Hmm, the list turned out much longer than expected. Maybe I should post a list of what I DO like!
Not even a bamboo like this?
dsc02110.jpg
Show Off! :x

:lol!:

Hate full bents, I have one quarter bent just for home use. Hate anything small or skinny. Like rustics, but hate anything garish and even the slightest bit ornate. Dislike apples, hate the Canadian look. Basically, I like sensibly-sized straights (and my large quarter bent) but won't do anything else. I like my cobs, but only big ones like the MM General.

Not a big fan of Danish Freehands; I like symmetry in a pipe mostly. But hey, if it holds tobacco I can probably get used to it.

those damned canadian shapes.....or Lovat..or whatever you call it... they just dont appeal to me.. sry..lol
I love me a ball,tomato,bulldog,author..you get the point :)

I'm surprised at how many people listed freehands. but for me i'd have to say i dislike the bulldog.

Falconer":m6gqzzy4 said:
Dang Matt you went back a ways for this one. We've probably all got completely different opinions by now. One week I love Oom Pauls the next I think they're stupid looking. Today (no everyday I reeckon) I would say I have a definate distate and dislike for the Kracken Pipe. :D
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

I'm also surprised at how many dislike freehands and asymmetrical shapes. I'm guessing that those lopsided freehand briars were once all the rage considering how common they are as estate pipes on Ebay. I like them myself, although some are a little too wild for my taste.

I have several and I absolutely love them. Nothing better to let the smoke waft up into the nostrils from a large oom paul. I promise to give a good home and lots of attention to any man unhappy with his oom paul. Just PM me and I'll cover the postage.

I'm 50/50 on freehands, within that 50/50 there's no grey area all love or hate. I'm also not a fan of Oom Paul's. Acorns I can do without but I'd be hard pressed to say I dislike them.

Blowfish aren't my favorite, nor acorns, I almost always dislike flared shanks, and cheap carving/rustication annoy me (I re-rusticate to get something more uniform/random looking).

Otherwise, I'm pretty open as long as it's well executed.

Dakki":yvs1pq0c said:
I'm not familiar with some of the shapes named here so I looked them up. I think I found everything but the bridge pipe. Can someone post a pic?
It's like a lump of briar with a thumb hole :lol!:

I'm a little tired of the Danish Freehands but still enjoy them. You know, I kinda likes 'em all. I am in fact an equal opportunity pipe collector. Come all Ye pipes yearning to be smoked!!

I'm just tired of the old standard billiard shape.....boring, and it's just like the same one everybody else has. :|

I've enjoyed this thread. And yet no one has slammed the volcano: allow me. I dislike toothbender heavy pipes, swivel bit pocket pipes, pearly plastic or transparent bits (except amber), skaters, pickaxes, The Pipes, brylon (shiver), and yes, you'd think freehands wouldn't be so standardized. (Jazz can be that way, too.) Speaking of Oompauls- ever look at the backside of toilets? I'm just sayin'. Painted and shiny glossy pipes. Bamboo in anything but an aboriginal pipe. Meerschaum sculptures with a hole and a bit: bearded men are tedious, skulls are creepy. Tyrolean contraptions with chains, feathers, painted scenes, lanyards...

Pipes I should like but I don't: Porsche Design (full of itself), anything over $150 yet looks stodgy (Dunhill billiards). Fabulous briar that should have become carved art for art's sake instead of a pipe.

Pipes I should DISlike yet don't: affectation pipes like LOTR or MacArthur cobs or calabashes that look more like theater props (though I usually dislike their smokers). Grabows. Cigar pipes. Leather wrapped "piggy pipes". Glass pipes in head shops (I'm a chemist, remember). I have a few pipes that literally look like lumpy turds but I keep for amusement and humility. Aluminum Falcons (with cob bowls!!) are a hoot.

GCook":52h520kr said:
I've enjoyed this thread. And yet no one has slammed the volcano: allow me. I dislike toothbender heavy pipes, swivel bit pocket pipes, pearly plastic or transparent bits (except amber), skaters, pickaxes, The Pipes, brylon (shiver), and yes, you'd think freehands wouldn't be so standardized. (Jazz can be that way, too.) Speaking of Oompauls- ever look at the backside of toilets? I'm just sayin'. Painted and shiny glossy pipes. Bamboo in anything but an aboriginal pipe. Meerschaum sculptures with a hole and a bit: bearded men are tedious, skulls are creepy. Tyrolean contraptions with chains, feathers, painted scenes, lanyards...

Pipes I should like but I don't: Porsche Design (full of itself), anything over $150 yet looks stodgy (Dunhill billiards). Fabulous briar that should have become carved art for art's sake instead of a pipe.

Pipes I should DISlike yet don't: affectation pipes like LOTR or MacArthur cobs or calabashes that look more like theater props (though I usually dislike their smokers). Grabows. Cigar pipes. Leather wrapped "piggy pipes". Glass pipes in head shops (I'm a chemist, remember). I have a few pipes that literally look like lumpy turds but I keep for amusement and humility. Aluminum Falcons (with cob bowls!!) are a hoot.
Ha! This is good stuff, thanks GCook!
I'll add one to my list of dislikes: pipes that just look too much like a scrotum. I'm just sayin' because I saw one recently in a magazine article about a high grade pipe carver, and I thought, "no, uh uh...too scrotum-ish"