What was your worst ever smoking pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyson

Reaction score
Just curious about this, I've seen threads on best pipes, and ugliest pipes, but what was the pipe you owned that just smoked the absolute worst?

A mini meer my brother gave me as a gift. The stem was misaligned, the draw was restricted, and the drilling was high and very off center. With a pinky sized bowl you would think it would be a quick smoke. It wasn't.

It smoked like an asthmatic asthma sufferer suffering from the asthmas.

My lone Peterson, gurgled no matter what or how I smoked it. Terrible stem as well, just an all around bad pipe.

A Tim West,paneled, freehand, large bowl, rusticated.
It whistles like a Lionel train.
Wierd pipe...sometimes I love the way it looks...other times, it's the ugliest damn thing ever made. :confused:

My first "new pipe," a handmade Nording freehand sitter from Tinder Box. Looks neat, nothing I do makes it smoke right. It really pisses me off.

8)

Dunhill Shell Briar, purchased new from the Dunhill London store back around '01.

Must have been over drilled, the draft hole was waaaaay too open. As a result the pipe smoked hotter than the hub of Hades.

Tried everything to deal with it. Nada. Finally got rid of it.

:x

Cheers,

RR

Every pipe I got before I learned how to pack & smoke them properly.

:face:

I reckon I've been lucky so far, although out of what I have I only smoke 4 pipes. But, there was one that I did have problems with that I no longer smoke, a Savinelli Estella that the draw was open too much.
I have had a few gurgler's in the past but was able to fix it by just opening the tenon a bit.

Funny :lol:

I've paid LL more than a few $$$ over the years to open the airways of pipes that were too tight. It's been money well spent.

Just back off a notch and it all works wonderfully.

:face:

....Nervously scanning for the word "Growley" to show up".... Shew, not yet :)

My worst smoking pipe is my Ben Wade freehand. She gurgles like a baby. The mechanics just aren't there.

A made in China (redwood?) $10.00 pipe. You get what you pay for.

Back when I first started smoking I got one of those Ropp cherrywood pipes, the ones that were poker shaped and that had the bark on 'em. Was the wttest, gurggling thing I ever have smoked. I was smoking 759 at that time and it never smoked wet except in THAT pipe ! I still have it and tried it again about a year ago with some McC's oriental #14 and it STILL smoked wet and gurggled ! It looks neat with the bark and all but that's the ONLY good thing I can say about THAT pipe :twisted:

Any pot I've ever had. I just can't make them "go." If I do manage to get the entire surface lit, the tobacco mass becomes a huge ember, giving off very little smoke and burning the hell out of my tongue. I am talking of really wide pots, not the ones that come close to being a billiard.

In consideration of Erik Nording, after reading Brian's post...

...Erik, I'm sorry for being brash. Bring the bottle next time you're in Reno and I'll bring the glasses, and it'll all be right as rain.

And you can have the pipe back. :lol:

8)

The Pipe. Made of some space age material. Smoked hot and wet. You could wash it with the dishes, though. I literally threw it away in disgust.

I don't think I've ever had a pipe that tasted awful. I'd have to think about that. I've had plenty that weren't great smokes, and I'd have to say that is my definition of "worst smoking pipe". But to play along, I'm going with a Boswell that had a draw the size of a McDonald's straw, and it made everything taste like nothing. I could have smoked dried cow pies and had no idea what they were. A tobacco incinerator that offered zero flavor. Nothing worse than no flavor, at least not in my book.

Zeno Marx":3qdqnw4u said:
I don't think I've ever had a pipe that tasted awful. I'd have to think about that. I've had plenty that weren't great smokes, and I'd have to say that is my definition of "worst smoking pipe". But to play along, I'm going with a Boswell that had a draw the size of a McDonald's straw, and it made everything taste like nothing. I could have smoked dried cow pies and had no idea what they were. A tobacco incinerator that offered zero flavor. Nothing worse than no flavor, at least not in my book.
Zeno, I agree wholeheartedly, my Sav Estella was that way. Now it sits in the rack waiting.
You mentioned bad tasting, Oh I have one to fit that category, an estate cob I had that was way over due on a salt treatment.
It made everything taste like you where smoking a bowl of soggy doodle.

Two Petes I bought in the seventies. Hot, wet smokers, and never could get them broken in.