Where Did you Get your Handle?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshpipes

Reaction score
That's your username that we all see, you see.

Here's my story, reposted:

UberHuberMan":8a3dms1s said:
Now, UberHuberMan has a story. Take a seat by the fire, light your pipe, and allow me a moment to tell my tale.

When I was in middle school, I started using the handle "blakplayg1" for just about everything. That does not say "black play girl" like some have been so kind to point out over the years. :p

During high school, a few of my friends gave me a nickname "Super Huber Man," gainfully obtained through a series of elaborate and fascinating conversations(my name is David Huber, so you see where that came from[and now you all have my name. There. :p ]). Since a good chunk of these friends were taking German, "Super Huber Man" inevitably turned into "Uber Huber Man" and the name stuck. Well, for the rest of high school at least. Those friends always loved to call me that and I loved being known as "Uber." It made me feel special and positive about myself. Who doesn't need that when you're in high school? But y'know what, it still does.

When I got to college, I began to really feel good about myself and started searching for a new way to be known via e-mail, chat, forum, and my all around digital life. Once the decision was made, I transitioned most of my accounts from "blakplayg1" to "uberhuberman," with the exception of my credit card accounts.

And thus it was and thus it shall be for the foreseeable future.
I'm curious where you all got yours. I look forward to hearing these stories. :)

Some things to preface the story with...

My name is Eli Ruggles - that will become relevant here momentarily…

Nicknames are HUGE in my family. There are numerous family members whose real names I do not know and have never heard, and a few more who's given names I never became aware of until I attended their funerals and had to wonder who the pastor was talking about...

A few examples: my recently deceased Uncle Horse (Gerald), his brother Goat (Gale), my aunt and uncle Fid & Fuz (Harold & Norma), my uncles Max and Al (Kenny and Willie), my father - Shorty or Rooney, depending on who is speaking to him (real name Ed).

If the history of the familial nicknames exists, no one really talks where they came from or who started them... They are just rampant within the family.

I have several family nicknames that are embarrassing and silly. They aren't relevant to this conversation. :D

When I was a sophomore in high school my chemistry teacher had a renowned habit of nicknaming students (often with names that stuck, like mine did).
The first day of our first class with him, rather than seat us alphabetically, he would put us together in pairs and then nickname the pairs of students with rhyming nicknames.

The two students who sat in front of me had the last names Perry and Beery.
They became "Berries and Pearies".

Behind me were "Heather and Feather"

I was seated next to a fellow named Doug.

We became "Roogles and Doogles"

Roogles stuck with me all through high school, followed me to college where all the variations came to play - Roogs, Roogle, Roogleberry, Roogster.

It became my AIM handle, nick for all online activity, the name of my character in EverQuest and then WoW, etc, etc, etc.

I bought the domain name roogles.com in 2000 and since then all of my immediate family have email @roogles.com.

On a funny side-note my current boss (of nearly five years) knows that "Roogles" is not the correct pronunciation of my last name, but nearly always introduces me to clients, customers, and other contacts as "Eli Roogles". :D

Like Uber, I look forward to the other stories.

Cheers!

For those who don't know, Cartaphilus was the Roman guard that beat Christ and was cursed to live on earth till eternity.
No, I'm not him but sometimes feel like I've been cursed.
It all started when I was a young man in his 20's and friends would say "When you die your going to hell for that one". And I'd reply " No way, God hates me and he's gonna make me live!"
Yes, A bit close to blasphemous but, HE knows I mean no harm. HE's got a sense of humor too.

Real first name "Kyle" pseudonym "Weiss."

Weiss came about approximately twelve years ago when doing stage performance improv distastefully named "spoken word" (different then what it is now, apparently it's now some poetry/rap/rhythm something, we just wrote crap down, memorized it and did it up on stage). I was "in character" at one point ready to go up on stage, and someone mistakenly wrote down "Kyle Weiss" rather than my persona I had written, "Kyle The Wise," which was taken even further out of context because someone heard it yet again as "Kyle White," which "weiss" is German for "white." Suddenly, everyone was teasing because I was now, suddenly a "straight, white male," (Kyle, Gaelic for "straight" [sic] narrow passage, body of water)... so it seems I have the most convoluted and lame story for my nickname, Kyle Weiss. I now use it as a proper pseudonym, "art/pen name" and persona so people of importance can hardly associate my given name with any tomfoolery. 8)

Or your trying to deliberately confuse us into believing that Kyle Weiss is not your true name. :lol:

Cartaphilus":cku7qszw said:
Or your trying to deliberately confuse us into believing that Kyle Weiss is not your true name. :lol:
Did it work? :cheers:

Kyle Weiss":rfpon2hl said:
Cartaphilus":rfpon2hl said:
Did it work? :cheers:
Ah........... Nope!

It was my call sign in Viet Nam I was with the 131st avn co in PHU BAI 70-71.

In the cigar forums, I'm known as MrsCigarLover. However, since I've started to enjoy pipes and the sweet smoke swirling around me, came up with SweetSmokeLover for this forum.
:bounce:

Brewdude":bvq51pdf said:
Not too complicated-

I brew beer for a living, and I'm male.

Figure it out!

:joker:

Cheers,

RR
No mystery here either,
I'm Hermit, 'cause I'm a Hermit.
It ain't rocket surgery. :lol:

I'll keep this one short. Mo-z-jo-33

Mo: My name is Mauricio - which is a Hispanic name - and while I was in the Army most of my friends found it too difficult to pronounce my name. Some thought it too to long to say, so it was shortened to Mo.

Z: Since I don't have a middle name (my parents were too poor to get me one :lol: ), the Army assigned me the middle initial z in some databases. To this day, I have no idea why.

Jo: I just liked how that flowed with the Moz

33: My favorite number is 3. Don't know why I doubled it up.

Eventually that became my first email I ever created. I never use it as an email, but every forum I join I use that as a handle. Go figure. :scratch: :geek:

Brewdude":5cwsu9wt said:
Not too complicated-

Figure it out!

Cheers,

RR
MMMM...beer...do you brew commercial or just micro-brews?

You folks have interesting handles. I, on the other hand, have very little imagination. My name is Doug. My surname starts with "c" and I live in the 905 telephone area code. I had to tack the 905 on because way back when, in the beginning of computer time, I actually had dougc as my yahoo email. Then I went and lost it. I don't even recall what real email address it is tied to. Anyway, upon trying to get it back, I was offered dougc5 or something like that. So I used 905 so that there would be some meaning to the number. See? Comparatively boring.

UberHuberMan, roogles, & Cartaphilus, your handles rock!

Mozjo33":ohdaokcq said:
Brewdude":ohdaokcq said:
Not too complicated-

Figure it out!

Cheers,

RR
MMMM...beer...do you brew commercial or just micro-brews?
I'm the head brewer at a WA state micro. 24 yrs in the biz, but not all at the brewery I'm at (14 there).

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Im a plumber by trade so Im the plumbernater. Back when I was in high school there was no cell phones but back then you had a CB in your vehicle. I worked in a saw mill. I had the handle of The Saw Dust kid. Saw dust for short. That stuck for a long time.

SweetSmokeLover":fdv2ogmc said:
In the cigar forums, I'm known as MrsCigarLover. However, since I've started to enjoy pipes and the sweet smoke swirling around me, came up with SweetSmokeLover for this forum.
:bounce:
Hey, I know you from Herfers Paradise. Haven't seen you post there in like forever though. Didn't know you were also a pipe gal, but great to see you here.

Lorraine, isn't it?

:face:

Cheers,

RR

I worked in engineering, in the water and wastewater field. There are people in marketing that are always trying to seem agreeable with the client. Sometimes you have to stand up and tell them that what they want is not what will work for their problem. That got left to people like me (old, gray, mean, and ugly).

So for some reason, the guys at the office started calling me the "Outlaw". I don't know why. Maybe because I rode a motorcycle a lot. And I would ride it to meetings with the clients, and meetings with the construction contractors. Never had a contractor give me a lot of lip, either. Especially after we had met 'face to face'.

So I'm the Outlaw; the EC stands for the county I live in. 'Nuff said.

"Mark" is my code name used for covert missions.