Where Did you Get your Handle?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a '66 Triumph Bonneville chopper. A friends wife tooled the seat with "Riff Raff" which doesn't describe me at all (I hope) but sums up the bike nicely. It is also one of my favorite AC-DC songs (Bon Scott era). Man, I love that opening guitar riff. The seat is also my avatar on most forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ZBQdgtpjU

Well I am a Cajun, and all of our family surnames which would typically be spelled with an eau in parisian french have an, x, added to them , making them plural(which makes since seeing as how it applies to entire families). So my grandfather gave me that nick name when I was born, and it has stuck.

If you assume it has anything to do with Harry Potter you'd be wrong. It's about the noise I make as I shuffle along. I'm a bit gimpy and huff and puff alot. Course I've been called Junior since college. The professor I worked for testified in court all the time and refused to let me put my actual name on paperwork. So I always just put my first two initials.

Jim

My name is Shane Ireland

And I guess I'm just not creative... Or lazy... Or both? 8)

There are not many nicknames in my family, the name you have is important. Some families like nicknames and good on them, not mine. So the internet requires a little care, I used my one nickname as my handle for a long time, but no longer have it. Giving it some thought one day I considered the old quote “We sent them our Jews from Odessa, and they sent us their Jews from Odessa.” (A quote regarding the movement of musicians between Russia and the United States.) Going for something a little different I chose “Kieve” with an extra “e“ to better connect it to “ryuu” which is one way of saying dragon in Japanese - so in short (haha) my handle is a contraction of “kieve no ryuu” or “dragon of kieve”.

All that and the twist is that I am a sephardic and not an ashkenazi Jew. 8)

So, not nearly as inventive as some of yours, but I like it, and now you understand my avatar pic as well.

Talk about creatively inept....I own a boxer dog...or better yet she owns me...and we are buddies.

well give her a sirloin steak from me,,I miss my boxer terribly,,,

Boxerbuddy":v3rls2ij said:
Talk about creatively inept....I own a boxer dog...or better yet she owns me...and we are buddies.
So those questionably-legal stories about you hangin' out with Mike Tyson are just a coincidence?

I am a RUSH fan My Handle comes from the song Cygnus X-1, my birthday is the twelfth so it becomes Cygnus XII. I really dig the Story Telling of RUSH, the Hemispheres Album specifically. Pretty simple huh! I've had that handle for 20 years. Additionally it is dual, because there is also a Black Hole. Also it means Swan, and is a Constellation Cluster. I liked all three things, so I took the Handle.

Long story short, back in the good old days of first getting online, I was signing up to Hotmail at the same time as my then girlfriend.
We were both taking Classical Studies and she chose an email handle on the basis of a myth we had just studied in depth. The title of the main divinity in that myth was 'The Dread.' (I won't use the whole thing here because I don't know if she still uses that email.)

At any rate, I decided it would be funny to have a Dread in my email and, being about 17 at the time, thought Dread Gerbil sounded fantastic. It kinda stuck and I've used it since even though I am no longer a fan of Hotmail.

Unfortunately, a lot of people read it as Dr Eadgerbil or Dredger Bill. So I usually have to spell it out carefully when telling it to anyone.

I collected mostly postwar (WWII) German fountain pens for a few decades ( not as much today as prices are at a ridiculus point now) and one day back in the 80's was in a pen/stationary shop in Dallas and heard a snooty clerk pronounce Mont Blanc as "Monbla" the sound of it just struck me. 256 is the model number of one of my favorite models of Mont Blanc pens from the early '50s ( I have 3 that I use most every day) so when I started getting on interest forums I just put the two together :p

CygnusXII":i7kxg7kr said:
I am a RUSH fan My Handle comes from the song Cygnus X-1...I really dig the Story Telling of RUSH, the Hemispheres Album specifically.
Moving Pictures was the first "grown-up" record I ever owned.