Which Pete?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Help me out.

Picking a new Pete. Want it classic and like the Bulldog/Rhodesian shape. Prefer it larger than the little 999 shape, and I like the diamond shank as being a little more classic than the round (to my mind). So I'm cruising through the available pipes at P&C and discover the B5. Nice! I have a major hot spot for Italian designs and the fat shank on the B5 resonates with that. Plus at 5 1/2" long,
with a 2" tall bowl, a 1 1/2" inner bowl depth and a 3/4" inner bowl diameter...it seems a little taller than the Bulldog designs so that works for me as well...and then there's that quarter bent look to it...which I love!

OK...the B5. Tall, fat and bent...suits me perfectly. lol But which one? Being a PAD thing, I need it NOW! And given that P&C is doing the free tin thing along with a Pete, it's going to be coming from them. Looking over all the possibilities there, I found maybe 4 that would work and honed it down to the top two, both of which I like, for different reasons. Help me pick which one!!!

There's the Aran (called a Rhodesian by P&C) at about $75. It's a fine example, nice graining & cost effective.

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2202_51676093

Or the Rosslare (called a Bulldog by P&C...which is an error I think) at about $125. Given Peterson history, this is totally a classic, and I love the amber stem.

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2201_349850484

Or the Killarney at a little over $80. Nothing wrong with it...but the p-lip and I have never really gotten along. Hardly a recommendation.

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2199_23584665

It's like...blond, brunette or redhead? Which would YOU do?

Of the three, the aran strikes my fancy. classic, but fits your specs. That yellow stem would be cool if it were actually made of amber, but i dont really like the style of the yellow lucite.

The Aran got my pulse movin'. I've never seen a 999 in person, only an 80S, I always figured they were "mid-sized," and the 80S was the small one, but now you have me wanting that Aran, too. :cheers:

Are these System pipes, BH? The Killarney would also suit me, I've been wanting to try a P-lip.

Forgive me for cross-PAD'ing your thread. :lol: 8)

I have the 999 Rosalare which I really like and was one of the three new pipes I have bought in the last year. It's what one would cal a bottom end of the Peterson High grades and it has broken in MUCH easier than my System bent ever did! The "amber" acrylic stem is very comfortable though it is a bit thicker than a hand -cut ebonite would be. Another one to look at if you'd like a slightly bigger traditional Bulldog would be one of the Hound of the Baskervilles model from the early Sherlock Holmes series. None of the ones you have shown are System pipes as I'm sure you know. Here's a pic from seller of my Rosalare:

3437b1-1.jpg

Kyle...do come along.

1) No, it's not a system pipe. If it were, it would have the metal 'cap' on the shank and a plug in stem...see diagram below:

Peterson_cutaway.jpg

And, 2) It's not a 999...it's a B5. See photos below.

The B5

b5-big.jpg

The 999

999-big.jpg

The 80s

80s-big.jpg

There's also a couple of Bulldog/Rhodesian shapes in the XL - easily found in the Kinsale series...which to me look rather odd...and so were not considered by me. I think the closest to the B5 is the XL21, shown below in a Kinsale Rustic:

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2199_364960245

Oh, guffin' me a bit, eh? I hope they ship you a bag of sand. :p 8)

Seriously though, there's straight System pipes, and the obvious System pipes, but I'd be very pleased if there were a not-so-bent System rhodesian/bulldog for me. I was disappointed when I held an actual 80S, it's a petite thing.

The in-person Petes available here in Reno are scarce, so I have no idea the size or setup. Because I only type to you guys, I was apparently pronouncing "Latakia" in a very strange manner until I had the ability to talk to actual pipe smokers around here. :lol:

8)

BH not all Pete system pipes have silver shank caps check out the Dunmore series. MIKE

Kyle... if it makes you feel any better, I didn't really know anything my first time in the store (found bob when I was looking for how to load the pipe for the first time) and the guy started talking about perique and latakia... I thought he was polish and forgott that I didn't speak his language. I had to stop him and ask what the hell he was talking about.

Oh, and my sister read Jurassic Park in anticipation of the movie pronouncing chaos with the ch sound still intact: "cha-os"

I like that B5 shape, been thinkin about getting one myself. I would go with the Rosslare personally as the acrylic mouthpiece will look good long after the other vulcanite stemmed pipes have gone green.

I cast my vote for the Rosslare. More for the acrylic stem than anything else, although I do really like the look of it. I'm just not a vulcanite fan.

Kyle Weiss":jm1qc5j4 said:
Oh, guffin' me a bit, eh? I hope they ship you a bag of sand. :p 8)

Seriously though, there's straight System pipes, and the obvious System pipes, but I'd be very pleased if there were a not-so-bent System rhodesian/bulldog for me. I was disappointed when I held an actual 80S, it's a petite thing.

The in-person Petes available here in Reno are scarce, so I have no idea the size or setup. Because I only type to you guys, I was apparently pronouncing "Latakia" in a very strange manner until I had the ability to talk to actual pipe smokers around here. :lol:

8)
Take a look here for a complete breakdown of ALL the System pipes in the Peterson line-up. These folks over at the International peterson club are the ones to go to for answers to ANY peterson question. I have 5, two pre-Republic pipes which my father bought in London back in 1946 and they are some of the BEST smoking pipes I own!

http://btheinternationalpetersonpipeclub.runboard.com/t11

I like the Aran with the silver band. Manly pipe there. Bet you will enjoy it . All said, the one you pick, you will have to look at it, and smoke it. choose wisely.

The straight grain in the pipes I have with it smoke nice. I notice the Rosslare has that straight grain. Like said above it is a higher end pipe.. I still like the way the aran looks :roll:

Ya think this guy LIKES Pete's ? This just a few of Sandpiper"s collection, one the Admin's over at the International Peterson club :p

979603527_g6DED-L1.jpg

Hey, Blackhorse, any chance you could carry your new Pete in your pocket with your gun and your knife and your... oh wait... wrong thread.

Sorry, NOW I'm done... :p

8)

Spud...now really...I can't be held responsible for the entire history of Peterson! lol I'm limiting myself to modern, obtainable lines. The Dunmore IS quite interesting though.

And PuffPappy...you ARE the scion of ' House Evil'. I really enjoyed looking around your link. Prices seem within reason and the shipping isn't bad either...considering they're in Italy. Just within the Pete's there are quite a few very interesting items. I know that Peterson makes some lines for distribution to specific locations or geographic areas. So these guys are likely to have pipes that we would never see over here. A new link for me to save.

To the rest of you...it would seem that you're mixed almost equally between the Rosslare and the Aran. I'm torn between the two as well. As I said, each has it's specific set of benefits or perhaps attractions is a better term.

And so - I HAVE made my choice. Ordered it just a while ago. And the winner is:

The Aran. 5 1/2" long, 2" tall bowl, 1 1/2" inner bowl depth, 3/4" inner bowl.

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2202_51676093

Much as I like the Rosslare with that Acrylic or Lucite stem (which I greaty prefer due to the obvious reason of vulcanite oxidation - which can be controlled easily with the proper care) I ALWAYS smoke with a bit protector in place and so the issue of 'mouth feel' (where the Lucite also wins the day) is equalized...and the protector looks better on the vulcanite, and just a little odd on the amber colored stem. In the end it was a combination of the classic look, the cross grain and the price that made the difference. I'm sure I'll find a blend with which it sings that old sweet song. If not, I'll sell it to Kyle.

Peterson's are known to favor Peretti's Royal blend or Oxford Flake and just about ALL McC Va's . Just my experience :p And that Aran is a nice choice as well :p And now you can get an Aran Fishermans sweater to wear with it !