Which Pete?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey BH great choice I am sure you will not be dissappointed. Love those Petes myself. MIKE

Blackhorse":wpupoegm said:
If not, I'll sell it to Kyle.
I humbly accept! On the other hand, I hope it's everything it promises to be. You know, for me. :twisted:

8)

Since it's a PAD thing that means another purchase isn't far behind it! I'd go Aran this pass and not be "behind" when it's time again...the Rosslare is a pretty pipe but the Aran fits all the criteria and is easier price wise.

Heck, with what you save you can almost get another Pete!

Mike68...I have no idea what you're talking about!

The Harp. There's just something about Cumberland!

Peterson-Harp-Series-B5-Tobacco-Pipe-Fishtail-Right-Side__45911_zoom-1.jpg

Peterson-Harp-Series-B5-Tobacco-Pipe-Fishtail-Kit__82157_zoom-1.jpg

I have one Harp pipe, like it very much. The cumberland is acrylic in a cumberland color pattern. The Harp series kind of splits the difference between their entry level and mid grade pipes both price-wise and quality wise. They are finished a little nicer Than the Aran but can still have some fills, the stem is worlds better than the Donegal or Aran but the stain/polishing is noticeably a step lower than the Rosslare Royal, Grafton or Deluxe series. At the price point they're a good bargain.

Yeah...I've never gone to the clouds with Peterson pipes re: the level. lol I've always considered them like a machine made bargain and scored well with the lower ranks, finding really well priced items that have performed far beyond their price. So for a cost-benefit thing, they get big points with me. When I've hit on a pipe that has been in the real quality zone it's been something a bit more unique. The number of (to me) high cost pipes in my modest...what we'll laughingly call 'collection' is very, very minimal. I tend toward cheap pipes that smoke inordinately well.

I think what led me to these two was that, here we are and it's St. P's Day...my wife is Irish (back a few generations)...I realized I only had one Pete on rack number 34 (well, aside from the 3 'little' ones reserved for those nasty Brit blends) - and I got sort of 'inspired' - especially with this specific shape. It's an odd one in a way. One thing I read called the B5 shape a sort of clandestine Peterson experiment in new shape marketing...whatever. I like the slightly taller bowl and the slightly longer format from the smaller Bulldog/Rhodesians. I like the fat diamond shank/stem form too. I remember one site called the B5 a group 5 size (1 3/4" X 3/4")...which suits my current tobacco choices pretty well.

The fact that this one has the acryllic stem in a fishtail...with the Cumberland coloring...that works well for me too. I like the two of them as a set. The crossgrain on the Aran, I like. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed as to the smoking qualities...but given that I'm not a super analytical critic...I'm sure I'll find SOMETHING that does well with it. lol

I love my Aran...and it was my first P-lip and it didn't turn me off o them! Now my 306 IS drilled as a "system" style in that there is a sump for juices so it's a very dry smoker. I would think thar's a trait of the whole Aran line, not just certain styles?!?

They must have changed the Aran line since you got yours. I don't think any of the Arans I've seen (certainly no expert here though) have the dry system in them. What's more, there's a statement at the site I provided a link to below that says that all the Aran pipes have the fishtail mouthpiece...not the p lip design. But other sites say that the Aran is available in either stem design. I wouldn't doubt that over the years Peterson makes 'adjustments' to their various lines. There are sites out there (Pipedia and various Pete collector sites) that have incredible histories of the various lines, etc. It's interesting reading...you know...'inquiring minds' and all.

Dry system info: http://tobaccopipes.com/Peterson-Dry-System/

Interestingly, the Peterson website shows only pipes without the Silver band but says they are available with or without it. Also, the Pete official site doesn't list the 'B5' as one of the classic shapes available...and yet it is.

I'll say one thing. There sure are a lot of Peterson's out there. If I hadn't found the ones I wanted where I did - I could easily have found it somewhere else. But then, I wasn't looking for anything 'exotic'. lol

It's so weird the way things turn out. I have to confess that the Aran was being bought for my brother in law as a St. Paddy's Day present (my wife is Irish and her side really does St. P's Day right) to be presented at a big bash over here. It arrived on time and all, but upon opening the box we discovered a Calabash inside the box which was clearly marked as the B5. The Calabash is an 05. Anyway, due to the situation I had helped to create I ended up gifting him with another of my own pipes...a pipe (thank goodness) that I really didn't use.

Well, the return of the Aran (Calabash) has been arranged with ease and things are turning out quite well indeed. The vendor here was not at fault but has really stepped up anyway. During out correspondence re: the return I let it slip that I had really admired the Rosslaire B5 over the Aran (he knew the pipe was for my Bro-n-Law) and offered the Rosslaire to me at a price that it was not possible to refuse. So - from buying a pipe for my B-n-L, to giving him one of mine, to somehow coming out of the situation with a new Rosslaire for myself...now THAT'S the luck of the Irish!

That's weird, Peterson mismarked an 05 as B5?

It must be a sign, you were meant to have the Rosslare.

Curiously enough, I just went through an incorrect Pete sent situation just last week from an online vendor. Wonder if it was the same one :suspect:

lol - that IS weird. In my initial email to the guy I told him to go over to his section where the Pete's were stored and pull the 05's out...and check 'em - tellin ghim I'd bet that there was a B5 in one of the boxes...as I was betting someone just mixed these two pipes up after looking at some. But maybe (if it WAS the same place) there was a greater mix-up than just between the two.

OMG! It just might be some kind of anti-Irish plot to smear their normally highly regarded image in the eyes of the pipe smoking world.

Oh, the humanity! Doesn't BoB have Special Agents of some kind to deal with this?!?! :?:

I'm already on it...bought 5 Pete's since Xmas as part of my "investigation"...thinking of moving to Dublin to cut out the middle-man.. :lol:

Mike - it's guys like you, good men and true, that let the little people of this fair land sleep in peace...knowing they're being watched over with a Father's gentle care. Bless you for being there on our behalf.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Blackhorse":yc8q9x9a said:
Mike - it's guys like you, good men and true, that let the little people of this fair land sleep in peace...knowing they're being watched over with a Father's gentle care. Bless you for being there on our behalf.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
My burden my friend...my burden.... :king: