Who is going to upgrade to Windows 10?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a couple of glasses of wine I decided what the heck.
Everything appears to have gone well, but only time will tell.

It's absolutely hilarious that anyone thinks Gates is involved in MS.

You realize he stepped down as CEO in 2000 .. 15 years ago.
And that he retired from his "Chief of Software" gig in 2008.. 7 years ago.

His last day in the office was June 27, 2008 and some morons still blame him for all the woes of the world.. Holy crap.
Bill Clinton was the president the last day he was in control, and George Bush was the president the last day he went to work at MS.

damn.

Gates will always be linked to MS just as Steve Jobs will always be linked to Apple. The founders of these massive companies laid the foundation, culture and business practices that are (for the most part) still followed today.

And if Windows 10 still has CTRL-ALT-DEL, I'll add Satya Nadella to the list of people who need to burn in hell ...

riff-raff: You're welcome. Good choice on the laptop.

I'm gonna' give MS10 a shot only because I despise 8 so much!!!! Question for the group...MS claims their MS10 security program is so strong you don't need an outside one. I've run Kaspersky since the XP (loved XP!!) days. Are Kaspersky and the MS10 program going to "fight" each other????? Will I need to dump one or the other?

Here is my story regarding security with Windows 10.
I currently have ESET security, Malwarebytes and Windows Defender on my pc with Windows 10.
Security is provided by ESET and while Defender is updated it appears to be inactive.
Malwarebytes is running fine.
Since the ESET license is active until December, I will probably keep it until it expires and then consider removing it.

My old laptop would not have supported windows 10. However, it died yesterday morning :( I have a new lenovo, and I'm having 10 installed. I pick it up later today -- we'll see if I can figure out how to use it!

I had some trouble finding stuff...Google was a big help

ftrplt,

I uninstalled all of my antivirus/antimalware stuff, just to see how well Windows Defender works. So far, it seems to be working as well as any other program, and it's free.

Here at work we use a lot of the Windows tools, along with some serious security appliances to determine PCI compliance, and so far the Microsoft stuff stays right up there with everything else.

If you're paying for antivirus, go ahead and use that, but once that expires I'd say give Windows Defender a shot.

WarlockBob":wcqn5za6 said:
ftrplt,

I uninstalled all of my antivirus/antimalware stuff, just to see how well Windows Defender works. So far, it seems to be working as well as any other program, and it's free.

Here at work we use a lot of the Windows tools, along with some serious security appliances to determine PCI compliance, and so far the Microsoft stuff stays right up there with everything else.

If you're paying for antivirus, go ahead and use that, but once that expires I'd say give Windows Defender a shot.

Sounds like a plan :D Thanx for the info. :cheers: FTRPLT

I signed up to be a test candidate for Win 10 and as soon as it was ready I did the full install and I love it. The tiles give it a tablet like feel, folders open instantly and there's just an overall feeling of quickness. Had no freeze ups, quirks or lollygags during the install or after.

I started as a Mac user and was swayed by the price way back in the day starting at XP then to the debacle of Vista where I just gave up and switched back to XP, then to 7, back to XP then 7 Pro on both my desktop and laptop where I've been for a while.

I got curious one day about a year ago and put Ubuntu on my Laptop. I will stay with a Linux product on my laptop ...although with Chrome as my browser. I am a heavy user of Adobe products, (Photoshop, After Effects etc...) and need a Windows computer, otherwise I would be all Linux.

All the time I had Win 7 I used Windows Defender and have never had an issue.

The only issue I have with Win 10 is the Windows Edge browser. As a browser it's nimble and quick right up to the point where the ads come in, then its a dog with no option to block the ads. I will probably stay with Chrome.

YMMV...

Scott

puros_bran":67swksvh said:
It's absolutely hilarious that anyone thinks Gates is involved in MS.  

You realize he stepped down as CEO in 2000 .. 15 years ago.
And that he retired from his "Chief of Software" gig in 2008.. 7 years ago.

His last day in the office was June 27, 2008 and some morons still blame him for all the woes of the world.. Holy crap.  
Bill Clinton was the president the last day he was in control, and George Bush was the president the last day he went to work at MS.  

damn.
Bush is always blamed for Obama's screw ups. Gates might as well still be blamed for Microsoft's screw ups. :joker:

It took a few days to settle into the changes, but I am starting to enjoy it. I can't find any major issues yet, but that could change at some point down the road.

One thing I do like about 10, is that there are some free game apps available. I always enjoyed the computer chess that came with Vista, and was disappointed when they didn't include it in 8.

WarlockBob":mfy9shj4 said:
Windows 10 is pretty nice. I've had less problems in the beta than I've ever had with a fully finished copy of Windows, and I'm pretty technical, so I beat the hell outta the software. I also have a MacBook, 2 Raspberry Pi's running their own Linux distributions, and a Dell PowerEdge server running Ubuntu; I know all of the systems pretty well, so my soapbox bit has nothing to do with being a fanboy; I'm just willing to say that Windows 10 is a lot better than some may think it'll be.
Similar feelings here. I think I'll wait on 10, however, as there are going to be bugs that need to be worked out before I want to be the guinea pig.

Been using 7 Pro since I got my HP Pavilion and went to download 10 the other day and the proprietary graphics card in the HP will not work with 10 so I will continue using 7 till I have to get another card or PC when Microsoft stops supporting 7. For my uses, 7 has been as bullet proof as XP was. I understand that they corrected all the BS that was in 8 and gave 10 more of a PC focus.

Not gonna even consider a MS product. Next upgrade will be another Ubuntu OS, when I break down and get a new 'puter. Not in the immediate future btw.

Cheers,

RR

BriarFox":vofl3f6f said:
Bush is always blamed for Obama's screw ups.  Gates might as well still be blamed for Microsoft's screw ups. :joker:
There's some truth to both: policies put into action do not fully take effect at first. In fact, there are consequences and secondary consequences many years later. The current CEO is probably maneuvering around many Gates-era policies and programs that he still must support.

And then there's Apple, which is collapsing on schedule.

monbla256":xlay8mfi said:
I understand that they corrected all the BS that was in 8 and gave 10 more of a PC focus.
Our useless and criminal media were beating one of their tin drums, this time that tablets/phones were going to replace PCs.

A number of experienced people, myself included, were like: Not gonna happen. The great self-stimulation fest continued unabated.

Now, in 2015, the phone trend has died down, thanks in part to the newness fading and smartphones no longer being an Exclusive product to show off and make your friends feel cheap.

And look? Desktops and Notebooks are surging. Massive surprise!

I've been running 10 for a week or so now. I have to say, I really like it. Vast improvement on the last OS and so far no glitches... for the time being anyway...