Why did you choose your online name (handle)?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i chose whitebriar because the best, most mellow pipe i ever owned was a Kaywoodie Whitebriar bent--it got broken while i was is SE Asia--i have really never gotten over that event--

I chose Justpipes back in the old JRBB days because pipes are the only thing that I smoke. Have never cared for cigars or cigarettes.

The Ship in the Avatar is the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Acacia. I spent from 1967-1971 on her.The best Boat in the 9th district.

J - is the first letter of Jeff, my first name.

Rock - is from playing in bands as far back to high school to present. I have played in several bands ranging from rock to country and all the way to jazz.

I stick with my initials or real name on the web. Nothing worth writing that I wouldn't want to associate with my offline identity, as they are one and the same after all. Of course, with tobacco you might have to be a bit careful and prepare for the day the government will start data mining sites like this in order to incarcerate smokers and send them to labor camps in Siberia ;)

Object permanence is the term for a child to know that when an object is no longer perceived by the senses, it still exists. It develops around age 2, according to Piaget.

When my daughter achieved this type of perception, I was no longer able to hide behind a door and tell her I was alfredo buscatti. She would say, "no, you're daddy."

I dabble with Linux systems for fun, hence the "penguin".
The "Low-flying" bit is a little joke, as penguins don't fly...

Hobie was my prized Chocolate Labrador Retriever of 14 glorious years. He was #1

Alternate name for Su Daji. It was my character's name on a MUD (I'd just read Fengshen Yanyi when I started playing) and it kinda stuck.

I own a 1957 Chevy Bel Air and spend many days in the shop restoring them for customers. I love these cars. I was born in 59. Chevy 5759 seemed to fit me.

I have been a homebrewer for five or six years now and really enjoy brewing (and drinking, of course) hoppy beers. The scientific name for the hop plant is Humulus Lupulus and I have used Lupulus as a handle on several different boards. I like it because it is unusual enough that someone usually hasn't used it yet (except on homebrewing forums).

St. Fiacre is the sort of unofficial patron saint of pipe smokers and tobacco. So I thought that would be cool and unusual enough to not be taken and the pictures of him are neat so a perfect avatar as well.

Cool name, St. Fiacre. Of course, I had to satisfy my curiosity and Google that right away:

His reputed aversion to women is believed to be the reason he is known as the patron saint of venereal disease sufferers.
According to Wikipedia, that is. Interesting... :)

I've been in many rock/hardcore bands all through high school and college. Confidence Cohen was the name of my acoustic side project that I still write songs for and record tracks with different musicians, singers, and writers. However, I don't pursue it like I did in college. It's also my xbox live gamertag.

Originally the name came from the TV show, The O.C..
The graphic novel loving Anna Stern (Semaire Armstrong) told her crush Seth Cohen (Adam Brody) how to get the girl of his dreams, Summer (Rachel Bilson), to like him. She told him what he needed. "Confidence, Cohen."

It gets me every time I watch it.

Because it's the name I was born with. I wasn't sure what else to call myself.

Well, the Army calls me by my social security number; however, I don't think that's ideal for online usage...

If you can't figure out my handle/sn then well you're just...not observant :lol:

Actually my last initial is O and everybody likes to call me Johnny O....partially because my last name is a bit odd/hard to pronounce by some people but mostly because JOHNNY O just rolls off the tongue and is fun to say/shout/toss around :joker:

I always connected pipe smoking to Denmark somehow. Not only because they make (or in the case of Stanwell I should rather say used to make) great pipes and great tobacco blends, but also because my family often used to spend their holidays there when I was a kid and my father was still smoking a pipe now and then. We always had some Donald Duck comic books in our luggage then.

So, as a result, I chose the Danish name of that famous duck as my online name.

Years ago I stumbled across the book Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow by Jerome K. Jerome. He dedicated the book to "his oldest and strongest pipe". I am a person who likes his "personal time" so I adopted the name and the quote at the bottom of my posts. Another motto I like a lot I saw on the stationary of a group dedicated to leisure: Do Less More Often.

When we moved to the USA I quickly developed a liking for firearms, shooting and hunting which I had done none of while living in Canada. Hunter is a common name on most BB's so I added the 5117 which was the street address where we lived at the time. I guess that was easier than trying to figure out the last "Hunter" on whatever board I was signing up for at the time.