Why did you choose your online name (handle)?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puros= Spanish for Cigar.. used in the Cigar world to denote a cigar made with tobaccos from a single country.

Bran= a shorter version of my name used by a girl I was banging (err forgot "Irene" was on here...lol ) knowing at the time I first started exploring the finer side of tobacciana.

I am obsessed with fly fishing.... so, of course, first and foremost, I am referring to John Gierach's angling classic, Trout Bum. (If you enjoy fishing, especially fly fishing, this is required reading, IMHO.)

So, as a fisherman, I am driven to pursue the wary trout, and I hold that of all of the fresh water species, trout are a worthy game fish, if not at the top of the heap. They are spooky, elusive, and can be incredibly selective feeders. Often, an angler only gets one or two shots at presenting a fly, as the mere presence of a fly line can cause them to spook. This makes things... technical. I have fished small creeks with 15 foot leaders! So one must stalk, one must strategize, and one must have a tool bag of casting/line management skills that will allow one to make tricky and challenging presentations in order to find success. You don't just fish for trout; you hunt them. (I have stalked them on my hands and knees!)

In Colorado, I have "matched hatches," with the proper pattern, and gotten nary a nibble. By reducing or enlarging the hook size by ONE size, within the EXACT same pattern, can make the difference between a royal skunking and absolutely hammering fish. I recall several falls ago, fish were rising everywhere, surface feeding, voraciously I might add, on small mayflies. I had had zero success with a size 16 Blue Wing Olive, then switched one hook size smaller to a size 18, and promptly hooked a dozen fish. This selectivity makes the game deep, challenging (read: possibly frustrating), and incredibly rewarding. Of course, some days, you get skunked no matter what you try.

In addition, I have many bum-like qualities. :D

fmw":z74fq087 said:
Cool name, St. Fiacre. Of course, I had to satisfy my curiosity and Google that right away:

His reputed aversion to women is believed to be the reason he is known as the patron saint of venereal disease sufferers.
According to Wikipedia, that is. Interesting... :)
That coment is hitting below the belt sir. :p Of course I was refering to medicinal herbs which we all know tobacco to be.