WTF (penzance rant)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joshoowah":lt24wwvm said:
Thomas Tkach":lt24wwvm said:
Several people missed the fact that OP said he actually does like it. Best way to get it is probably ask your local B&M to order it. I got a bag that way once, though he charged $50 for it.
It seems people forget, too, that tastebuds are different for each person. 90% of my tobacco is Latakia stuff. Penzance ranks quite high on that list, and that was decided far before the hype on it picked up. I have 2 lbs of the stuff, and I'll likely never see anymore until that hype dies down. Though, I must be honest, I rarely look for it simply because I don't have time to give to the search. I'm actually surprised, perhaps baffled is a better word, anyone has time to do such. My time is worth more than a great tobacco.

I suspect the hype for Penzance and Stonehaven is nowhere near the end. It's been going for five years strong now. This is a much different beast than the Gawith FVF shortage.
The time issue is exactly why the stuff goes for so much on eBay, etc. There are people who don't think it's worth the time, but do have the spare change to drop $100+ for a bag of it. Budgets are different for everyone just like tastebuds are.

Thomas Tkach":c75bk6n7 said:
joshoowah":c75bk6n7 said:
Thomas Tkach":c75bk6n7 said:
Several people missed the fact that OP said he actually does like it. Best way to get it is probably ask your local B&M to order it. I got a bag that way once, though he charged $50 for it.
It seems people forget, too, that tastebuds are different for each person. 90% of my tobacco is Latakia stuff. Penzance ranks quite high on that list, and that was decided far before the hype on it picked up. I have 2 lbs of the stuff, and I'll likely never see anymore until that hype dies down. Though, I must be honest, I rarely look for it simply because I don't have time to give to the search. I'm actually surprised, perhaps baffled is a better word, anyone has time to do such. My time is worth more than a great tobacco.

I suspect the hype for Penzance and Stonehaven is nowhere near the end. It's been going for five years strong now. This is a much different beast than the Gawith FVF shortage.
The time issue is exactly why the stuff goes for so much on eBay, etc. There are people who don't think it's worth the time, but do have the spare change to drop $100+ for a bag of it. Budgets are different for everyone just like tastebuds are.
Oh, most definitely there are. I've never spend more than $40 for a bag, nor will I ever I suspect, but I know there are people who will, which is why the prices have increased over the years. I considered selling some of mine to fund an anniversary gift for my wife, simply because a bag was going for $150+ on eBay. It truly is personal preference. As many above posts state though, there are a number of great Latakia blends out there that are available 24/7, Quiet Nights being only one.

Re:$150 bags of Penzance. I don't run anyone's budget but my own, and I have zero right telling another man how to spend his money, but I'm still allowed to shake my head and call him a moron.

puros_bran":z0g6iao6 said:
Re:$150 bags of Penzance.    I don't run anyone's budget but my own, and I have zero right telling another man how to spend his money, but I'm still allowed to shake my head and call him a moron.  
:lol:

You're also still allowed to sell some to him to buy something nice for the wife. Or a new pipe!

Thomas Tkach":1mc79ahj said:
You're also still allowed to sell some to him to buy something nice for the wife. Or a new pipe!
I'm back in Kenya now, so I'm afraid I won't be selling anything for at least a year.

I've never tried Penzance and odds are I never will. At the going prices, it's way too rich for my blood.

It is what it is I guess. Like I said, I did get some in a trade here. I did like it a lot. I was just beginning to wrap my taste buds around it when I ran out. You know what I'm talking about how you start to get to know a blend? At first it can be good or bad or just ok. But in time you get a taste for it. You start to be able to pick out flavors in it? Then I find out how hard it is to get ahold of it. Two different pipe shops in ct never heard of it, and one the guy had and laughed when I asked for it.

That is pretty much the equivalent of asking someone "Hey, could I get 6 dilithium crystals for my TIE Fighter"

puros_bran":h9gna07f said:
That is pretty much the equivalent of asking someone "Hey, could I get 6 dilithium crystals for my TIE Fighter"

I think they would be totally baffled by the mixed metaphor.
Unless you were asking a rocket surgeon ...

It's not a mixed metaphor... Corran Horn was using them in an experimental TIE Destroyer in which he was huntin Klingons. Hey, just because it's not Canon does not mean it's not true. :lol:

Actually, TRI lithium crystal is used to focus the photon stream that converts matter into energy in the TIE fighters. Alas, as it was long ago in a galaxy far, far away, that tech never made it Milky Way Side. Only in the not too distant future will Zephram Cochran figure out how to manufacture DI lithium crystals and figure out how to use them to control the energy reaction from combining matter and antimatter in a controlled way, as to create a time/space bubble around a vessel so it could move through space faster than light speed..

But, of course, I state the obvious..............

Lol. I didn't figure it would be. I almost pulled the trigger but I have $67 to last until Friday. Fixed income and all. :evil:
I'd have gifted it away anyway.. $25 for $200 worth of goodwill is a cheap investment. Lol.

I hope OP got some. I can't tell how long that took to sell out since I switched time zones and I'm no good at military time either.

Edit: Maybe it'll pop up at other shops soon. Keep your eyes peeled if you're in the 'I really do like it' camp.

<hr />
Thomas Tkach":aofndvyi said:
I hope OP got some. I can't tell how long that took to sell out since I switched time zones and I'm no good at military time either.

Edit: Maybe it'll pop up at other shops soon. Keep your eyes peeled if you're in the 'I really do like it' camp.
The 2 oz tins just now sold out, so they lasted well over 24 hours.

AAAAH the fabled UNOBAINIUM :twisted: :twisted: Where would we be on BoB without it !! :twisted: :twisted: