WTF (penzance rant)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monbla256":lbnd5am9 said:
AAAAH the fabled UNOBAINIUM :twisted: :twisted:  Where would we be on BoB without it !! :twisted: :twisted:
Be Here Now, in other words.

Penzance doesn't interest to me much...I follow the rule that if something is very trendy overly loved its probably not any good as 99.9 & of the world is basically retarded. What makes this blend any better than Commonwealth or Squadron Leader?

Glad you asked. For me, it's a taste thing. It changes through the smoke, from smoky to sour to dark and earthy. Not always in the same order either. It's also very easy to work with prep wise. It behaves very well in most pipes, regardless of size. I got enough to start to get a good appreciation for it and then I ran out. I figured it would be easy enough to get... Wrong

Smoking a stop of 4 years old Penzance in a large Sav Punto Oro Lovat...........smooth and sweet as honey!

Oh sure ... stokes the fires of disappointment even more. :twisted:

I have been chasing Stonehaven and Penzance for over 5 years, without being successful; then I said Fuc* it and stopped looking about 6 months ago.

Earlier this week, I was offered some Penzance. I grabbed 2 X 8oz bags and 4 X 50g tins...

Funny how things work out, sometimes.

Maybe I'll get some Stonehaven soon?

It's goin around, the Penzance that is.

Cup O' Joes had some for a hot minute yesterday.

How about a Ramsgate rant? I have an 8 oz. bag purchased recently that I detest. Two or three bowlfuls missing. Free, or almost. Send me five bucks for shipping, or even less. I just don't care. CONUS only. First PM, etc. I'll get back to you sometime this month.

Richard Burley":ecwm0q9g said:
How about a Ramsgate rant? I have an 8 oz. bag purchased recently that I detest. Two or three bowlfuls missing. Free, or almost. Send me five bucks for shipping, or even less. I just don't care. CONUS only. First PM, etc. I'll get back to you sometime this month.
PM sent!

Richard Burley":imvgepny said:
You find it that bad? I have an unopened bag.

C'mon guys.............

What, honestly, is the big deal about Penzance? Is there nothing even close?

Ozark Wizard":usj819l1 said:
C'mon guys.............

It's an UNOBTAINIUM and one gets bragging points for acquiring it !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":2echsge4 said:
Ozark Wizard":2echsge4 said:
C'mon guys.............

It's an UNOBTAINIUM and one gets bragging points for acquiring it !!  :twisted: :twisted:

Ya, like FVF was a little while ago....

:roll:

Cheers,

RR

monbla256":xwj4n766 said:
Ozark Wizard":xwj4n766 said:
C'mon guys.............

It's an UNOBTAINIUM and one gets bragging points for acquiring it !!  :twisted: :twisted:
The blends supposed to be the closest would probably also be hard to obtain. I actually think a big part is probably the thrill of the chase. Because it's so hard to get I bet for a lot of people it's the achievement as much as the blend itself.

I bet there are others that really enjoy it and find it unparalleled in other blends. What would you do, Monbla, if McClelland VA were this scarce? I know you really like it, but would you pay Penzance prices for it? Would you smoke the forsaken Gawith VA concoctions?

Guyrox":gclqwez2 said:
Richard Burley":gclqwez2 said:
You find it that bad? I have an unopened bag.
It sounds right up my alley. I love McClelland 2035 which is dark-stoved as well as GH&CO BF Scented, which has a licorice, maple, tonquin topping. If I am the lucky winner of the PM contest I can shoot you a sample so you can try it before opening your bag.

For years, my go-to blend was Dunhill EMP. When it was discontinued, I was forced to find alternatives. I tried a lot of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise, and found some blends I ended up really liking. Change is not a bad thing IMHO.

On another note, I think a lot of these cherished blends get a lot better in death than they were in life. Not being able to get it anymore makes the heart grow fonder. Penzance is way overrated so far as Lat flakes go. FVF also isn't quite as amazing as the shortage led everyone to believe on the boards a few years back. IMO, naturally.

Anyone truly interested in the real scoop behind the JF Germain "unobtainum" phenomena should check out this week's Pipe Magazine Radio podcast interview with Premal Chheda of Smoker's Haven. All his house mixtures are blended by Germain, and even though they've upped production slightly each year, they are still unable to meet demand for their products and they refuse to cut corners in order to do so.

I now have a greater appreciation for Germain's craft and Premal seems like a really cool guy. If you appreciate your Esoterica's, I say get them when you can, savor them, and rest assured that nothing was spared in production, time nor labor.

MisterE":054o6ib0 said:
On another note, I think a lot of these cherished blends get a lot better in death than they were in life. Not being able to get it anymore makes the heart grow fonder. Penzance is way overrated so far as Lat flakes go. FVF also isn't quite as amazing as the shortage led everyone to believe on the boards a few years back. IMO, naturally.
I think THIS nails it Mister E, :twisted: :twisted: And as far as McC's 'baccy, I would NOT pay Germain's nor Gaweth's prices even for McC's baccy! JMO :twisted: :twisted: