You a 1-brander?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyS

Reaction score
I seem to notice that my collection consists mostly of Savinellis. I've been slowly adding a few other brands like Stanwell, Nording and a few others that I can't remember right now but still, I think the Savs are my favorites. This got me to wondering if some of us stick to solely one or two brands and what would they be. Stand up and be counted. So you a 1-brander?

Not as such though out of the 80 or so briars I smoke, 1/3 of them are Charatan's, the next 1/3 is evenly divided btw BBB and Savanelli and GBD's, and Dunhills, Pete's, Orlik's, S&R's, and Edwards are divided equally in the last 1/3. Most of my pipe buying was done from 1969 thru 1979 back when all these firms were still self owned and the major players in the pipe markets at B&M's during that time. I will say my Charatan's are my faves and I wish they were still the same firm as they used to be as they made some GREAT pipes :p

How about a variation of the theme? I have several different brands, but go by phases: I go for a couple of years buying exclusively one brand of pipes. Last time it was Cavicchis and before that it was Castellos. Now I'm getting back to Radices exclusively.

I'm a one-brand smoker. The brand is David Johnson (Ozark Mountain Briars) and I'm down to 8 of them. I was up to over 120 pipes of various brands and culled them in 5 waves of selling to get money. Each time I went through the collection to sell some, I always passed up the DJs. The final non-DJ pipes were Wally Frank White Bars, which I also valued highly for good smoking. Great-Estate-Pipes has my last White Bars up for sale on Ebay now.

The DJs have everything I like in a smoking pipe - light weight, looks and comfort. I guess they'll keep me going until I can afford to buy pipes again, but I won't be buying any more new ones.

Steve

Heck no! My rack might lean a bit toward Savs and Petes, but I wouldn't want to limit myself to either of those brands.

I have a wide range of makers and quite a few custom pipes but I have a tendency to always fall back on my Pete's.

Variety's the very spice of life,
That gives it all its flavour.

- William Cowper

Doody.

Not really a 1 brander but it seems that most pipes in my collection are Boswell's, Pete's & Savinelli's. Mainly because i like the way they smoke & look/stlye and are in my price range $80-150.00. Would be nice some day to be able to do like some other brothers & collect one from each of the BOB builders.

Nope and don't really have a desire to be one either. I like variety. That being said, there are certain makers that I've tried that I will buy more of and some I won't but I don't feel married to a particular brand at all.

Here's probably the ULTIMATE "one -brander" : the French author Georges Simenon who created the pipe smoking Inspector from the Surite, Magrait. GS is said to have only smoked Dunhill pipes and supposedly had over 300 of them and he smoked only ONE tobacco blend in them, Dunhill's Royal Yacht! One pipe brand and one tobacco blend :p

match67c1.jpg

I've got quite a few different pipes, Wiley, Mastro de Paja, Tinsky, Zeman, Croci, Posella, etc. My favorites right now are the Tinsky's and my Italian pipes.

I used to be devoted to Bjarne pipes until I discovered the world of Artisan pipes. Now I've got 9 pipes, all by different artisans, but still including one Bjarne high grade.

I've always thought it would be nice to find a pipe maker whose work always spoke to me, but I haven't. This is strangely different from how I collect pottery. I focus on one potter and don't ever waver.

Everyone out there who make excellent pipes are consistently making excellent pipes. However, when it comes to pipes, I've discovered that a specific pipe will speak to me more-so than the body of an artisan's work, no matter how good the body of work is.

I do have a favorite and own 11 of his pipes, but I also have many other artisans and factory pipes. I would never own just one brand just as I would never smoke one blend, I love variety in all things.

Multiple pipes from multiple makers, even customs. Have had many over the two or so years that i've been smoking pipes but I do find that there are certain brands that have smoked, near perfectly compared to the others. Other then that, no specific brand.

Hawker":wmv4cd57 said:
Not really a 1 brander but it seems that most pipes in my collection are Boswell's...Mainly because i like the way they smoke & look/stlye and are in my price range $80-150.00.

This almost exactly mirrors my own thinking. I liked the fact that a local maker was turning out good stuff that was affordable. Seemed like a no-brainer, getting an artisan made pipe for less than most factory low grades. I've since experienced a few other brands, though my Yak is by far the most comfy and expertly made bit and tube that I have the luck to own.

Short life; much to experience.....if you're so inclined.

If I had to smoke only one make of pipes I would like it to be Larrysson pipes, but the reality of my pipes is far more sobering.