Your latest order from Mr. Snuff, Toque, Rosinski, etc.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
We might as well get this thing going too. I'm gonna sticky this one as well since it's sort of a match to the "My Latest Sniff" thing. They'll make a nice pair.

---------

I'll start things out.

Most recent order:

Since Mr Snuff has a good sale on these sizes - and I love both so very dearly...

Fribourg & Treyer Old Paris 25 g
Fribourg & Treyer Santo Domingo 50 g

I just placed a pretty big order today myself -

1 x McChrystal's Anisette 3.5g
1 x McChrystal's English Menthol 3.5g
1 x McChrystal's Supermint 3.5g
1 x Wilsons Aniseed Eucalyptus 5g
1 x Wilsons Apricot and Menthol 5g
1 x Wilsons Camphor & Mild 5g
1 x Wilsons Irish Coffee 5g
1 x Hedges L260 20g
1 x Gawith Hoggarth Medicated 25g

They had a good deal on the little tins, and I'd been wanting to try some of these flavors, so I figured why not!

Blackhorse":exys6fsv said:
I didn't even know they had 3.5 g Tins.
They are great for testers, but disappointing when something trips your trigger.

gravel":twtbavz1 said:
Blackhorse":twtbavz1 said:
I didn't even know they had 3.5 g Tins.
They are great for testers, but disappointing when something trips your trigger.
I wasn't aware of them either, but I'm definitely fine for that size. I don't go through too much snuff at all, that tin of Hedges should last me upwards of a year, so I'm pretty content. I'm glad they have tester sizes so I don't end up with two or three hundred grams of snuff I don't care for, either! :p

Of course, it makes excellent sense to get samplers of that size...especially with items that might lose potency in a short time. I noticed that most of what you chose has menthol as an ingredient. Is that an element that you prefer, or are you just trying it out?

I personally love menthol and 'medicated' type tobacco, but only in snuff. It's a holdover from when I was a young'un; I would get into the Vicks Vapo-rub tub(when they still had tubs of it) and would smear it all over my face. Mind you, this was when I was probably three or four, but my love for menthol, eucalyptus, and camphor has stuck with me.

I need to branch out and try some more things, but I am about 99% positive I'll like those flavors, so they'll give me something to keep in mind when looking for a rotation.

I think it was DnB that recommended both Poschl Gawith Apricot and Wilsons of Sharrow Ice Licorice to me. While I have tended toward the more nonmedical blends, those two both had an excellent balance between the initial menthol surge and the following named flavor and ultimately the underlying tobacco flavor. Just a thought.

I too enjoy the mentholated snuffs.

Small sample tins are the way to go when trying things out. Occasionally you'll discover a snuff with all the right attributes and great potential for an all day kind of thing and it's nice to have larger tins of those.

WoS small tins are the worst. I had a tin of WoS Sandalwood in the 5g size and it would take a pair of pliers to get that damn thing open.

Roderick's design for the Toque tins in the best.

Thanks, I'll keep those flavors in mind!

Hmmm, I'll have to remember that with those tins. Luckily I keep a multitool next to the computer, just for things like this :D

I enjoy some medicated snuffs. McC's O&G is my favorite. I prefer nonmedicated snuffs most of the time.

Re: Gawith/Poschl Apricot. Some cannot smell the apricot. As I used it, I could smell the apricot after the effects of the menthol started to wear off. It was quite nice.

Blackhorse":2ly5atis said:
Ever try McC's "Hops"? Somewhat of a cult following it would seem...countered by the " We Hate It" group.  lol
Hops is good, real good. But I like the smell of Hops and more important the smell of hops over a base of tobacco.

i've decided to give it a go...here's my order...

1 x Poschl Grado 4g
1 x Poschl Gawith Apricot 10g
1 x Ozona Raspberry 5g
1 x Samuel Gawith Apple 10g
1 x Samuel Gawith Peach 10g
1 x Silver Dollar Medicated 5g
1 x McChrystal's Whiskey 8.75g
1 x McChrystal's Apricot 3.5g
1 x Wilsons Chocolate 5g
1 x Wilsons Coffee Cream 5g
1 x Wilsons Rum & Blackberry 5g
1 x Wilsons Sunset 5g
1 x Wilsons Winter Warmer 5g
1 x Wilsons Brandy 5g

Blackhorse":yrxc19ft said:
Re tin design...I'm finding the Fribourg & Treyer 'tall w screw top' design both secure and easy to work with. Not sure how air tight they are. Time will tell.
The rumor about town is that any of the moister F&Ts should get moved to a glass container if you plan to have 'em on hand for a while. Apparently they can be prone to some rust issues.

I only use on moist F&T (Santo Domingo), and I blow through it so fast I don't really have any experience with it myself - but thought you might want to know.

Otherwise, I think the tins are pretty air tight. I've had some High Dry Toast that I dip inot every once in a while for about 18 months, and I haven't noticed any change in aroma or quality.

The ones I'm tending toward are the dark and damp...Santo Domingo, Macouba, Princes & Old Paris...so hopefully those will be good for some time. Plus, I have High Dry Toast on order, so I'm glad to hear about that one doing well long term.

I know there are many excellent companies out there, producing many excellent blends...but I'm amazed at the Fribourg & Treyer line. Most are apparently very old recipes, using original ingredients...authentic to the heyday of snuff taking in the 1700's. Why, if the two 'hankies' that I use weren't branded Levi and patterned a black western paisley and a woodland camo...I'd feel like I was wearing silver buckle shoes and a tricorn hat! Anyway, good stuff.

March Orders (an even dozen):

Samuel Gawith London Brown 25g
Samuel Gawith Kendal Brown Original 10g
Viking Dark 25g
Black Magic 25g (supposedly identical to the Viking Dark above)
Wilsons Grand Cairo 25g
Bernard Gekachelter Virginie 50g
Fribourg & Treyer Santo Domingo 50g
Fribourg & Treyer Old Paris 25g
Fribourg & Treyer Princes 50g
De Kralingse Mettaijer 12.5g
De Kralingse Macuba 12.5g
De Kralingse Hermbstedt's Brasil with Kashubian Sauce 12.5g

That should hold me til the end of the month. Many of the F&T Tins are on special right now...the 50g tins I picked up are going for under eight bucks.

Added to March...and thus endeth my budget.  :(

Fribourg & Treyer Princes Special 25g
Toque Berwick Brown 25g (authentically pronounced "Berrick", not " Burwick")
Viking Brown 25g