2013 Chicago Pipe Show

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm driving up Thursday night, but not staying at the resort. Better deals are available at area hotels, even some smoking rooms!

I will be there Friday morning for the swap. I guess I'll just bring some pipes and see what happens. My friends and I have 3 tables in the hall and will be there through Sunday. We will be bringing a full compliment of Snuff and accessories and, oh yeah, a metric ton of estate pipes.

I'm looking forward to the after-hours hanging out and meeting people and wheeling and dealing. Last year my wife and 3-year old came with but they are rightly staying back in the StL this year.

Bring your sweaters, jackets, sweatshirts, etc. Looks like it could be chilly in the tent this year. It may possibly be heated, but that is a huge expense.

As usual I will be there with a table of new and estate pipes. I will be at the pre-show on Friday morning which is now held in the big smoking tent instead of the mega center. And staying at the Resort is the way to go. No traveling back and forth from a distant location and rooms are open all thru the resort at night for even more buying/selling/trading. The extra expense is minimal and it helps the Chicago Club in securing the resort for future shows, which is definitely important. I'll also be attending the Charatan Collectors meeting and hope to see some new faces. You will get to see some of the finest straight grain pipes ever produced. Come join the fun.
Andy C.

I've been in the hobby since 1995, but this will be my first show, proudly representing Minnesota's Great Northern Pipe Club (Tony Soderman, a/k/a "Mr. Can", President). Will be staying in a Pheasant Run Courtyard room Thursday thru Saturday nights. With the tax and $35 resort fee, my total comes to about $396 for the three night stay. It's well worth it to support the continued availability of Pheasant Run. That said, it's important to remember that many of our brothers are retired or on a fixed income, and staying offsite fits in their budget better. Their contributions to the hobby far outstrip mine, so I say that that everyone should make travel plans based on what they can comfortably afford.

This time tomorrow morning a small group of us will be renewing friendships and making new friends. The pipe making seminar will get underway for those that signed up and sent in a check for basic costs.

My costs for the room will be little more than mentioned for four nights. I get a good discount for the first two nights and then the show rate for the second two nights. The discount for the first two nights about covers my resort fees and all taxes. And since I detest city driving, this works out pretty inexpensive for me. My discount elsewhere was much less.

Tomorrow it is!!! Looking forward to running into you again Carlos. I'll be there in the Courtyard Golf Wing until Monday, cant' wait.
Have a safe trip and The Mega Tent will be the meeting place.
Andy

There is a nice pavilion in the courtyard. Makes for a quick place to have a smoke. I sat there in the rain one year. Some guys showed up with wine and cheese. We compared collecting wine and tobacco.

I just landed at Midway....

I'll be in the city tonight, then off to the resort tomorrow!

Looking forward to seeing some of you guys! :cheers: :drunken:

I will be on the road to the show Saturday morning. Wish I would have planned ahead enough to make the whole week, but I won't make the same mistake next year. I'm counting on you seasoned vets (looking at Carlos) to help a newbie Brother make the most of my short time there. See you Saturday.

I'll be arriving Thursday. I look forward to seeing you guys there!

Seriously, the traffic backs up out front. Heard talk of 45 min waits. Come early.

Also, tonight is Big Burn Chicago. Google it. Cigars, beer, wine, women, DJ etc Huge tent dwarfing ours.

Our tent has heat I was told. They should be able to make it comfortable later this week.

I need to go eat.

Later

50410.jpg
[/url][/img]

50510.jpg
[/url][/img]

50610.jpg
[/url][/img]

Pipe seminar pipe. In the first you can see what I was trying to do. A Peter Heeshen style "P" pipe. The block really was not designed for it, but I thought I would give it a go.

00110.jpg
[/url][/img]

And you can see how it turned out.

00210.jpg
[/url][/img]

00310.jpg
[/url][/img]