2013 Chicago Pipe Show

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A comment on rates. The resort will charge a one time resort fee for the stay. $25 if memory serves. The $109 room rate for Courtyard is at the top of the rates in town. Staying at the resort and mentioning the show helps the club that puts on the show. It gets you a discount and helps the CPCC.

So yeah. You could go down the street and stay for less. A lot less if there are rooms still open. Some with complementary breakfast. YUM! Add taxes and you're not that far from the resort costs. I figure if I stay 3 nights I am making a small donation to the CPCC for hosting the show. The plus is, I never have to leave the resort for anything or any reason. Unless I want to go out to eat. But I love the food right there at the resort. It shows too. Food costs are competitive. I have had mostly great food and service at the resort.

Any questions, ask, or contact the CPCC or the resort.

I have my reservations to exhibit and stay at the resort. I need to get busy making pipes for the show.

This will be my first year going to the Chicago show!

I look forward to meeting some BoB'ers :cheers:

I won't be able to make it this year. I will have pipes at the show for sale. Find Dave Wolff with Walker Briar Works. He is going to have my pipes and some great cob action going on too :D

I will now be there early on Wednesday & Thursday for the Pipe Making Seminar. Another chance to screw up some wood. :lol:

I will bring along something to smoke and I always share. So look for me if you want to try something you may not see too often. When not in the seminar, or sleeping, or eating, I should be in the smoking tent or roaming the show. Friday morning and day is an outstanding pre-show. Saturday is the start of the main show and I really really wish I had purchased some items last year on Saturday which I will be looking for this year. Hope I get the opportunity again. Do not forget the Silent Auction which is a big fund raiser for the show.

See y'all there! :sunny:

Would love to hear some more thoughts on what to expect from some of the brothers who have made this sojourn a time or two. I've seen huge tables from the toby makers, but since you can't smoke on the show floor, was wondering the point. Any and all thoughts on what this newbie can expect for his first visit would be greatly appreciated.

Really depends on when you arrive. There is stuff going on from Wednesday till Monday. Plenty of time to relax and visit also. And the smoking tent is right outside the Mega Center. The bathrooms are 30 steps further than the show floor. So it's all close.

Be prepared to be overwhelmed. I still get a little weak in the knees walking in every year. :shock:

Trifecta13":avbugbwn said:
Would love to hear some more thoughts on what to expect from some of the brothers who have made this sojourn a time or two. I've seen huge tables from the toby makers, but since you can't smoke on the show floor, was wondering the point. Any and all thoughts on what this newbie can expect for his first visit would be greatly appreciated.
Dude. You live in Peoria. I think its a law that you have to attend for those of us who live too far away.

I will try to post more pictures this year. The iPhone5 makes this much easier to do than having to sit down and resize etc. Not counting room sales, which are posted near the front desk, at the elevator tower, and the entrance to Golf and Courtyard wings. The biggest sales, trades etc is Friday morning. Starts at 9am. Last year it was held in the Smoking Tent and I thought it was a huge success. If anything, a bit more space could have been used. The main show Saturday and Sunday is just amazing. And do not think you seen it all in one pass. Sellers come and go. Some sleep in and show up late. So what may be an empty table may suddenly display wares.

gravel":cewits3b said:
Dude. You live in Peoria. I think its a law that you have to attend for those of us who live too far away.
Sorry for the delay; forgot where I put this comment. I will definitely be in attendance and will do my best to honor the distant brothers. As it gets nearer, I'm getting genuinely excited. Cannot wait, and I do hope to run into some brothers on the show floor. Sadly, I can only make Saturday this year, but with a bit of pre-planning will try to catch at least 2-3 days next year.

Trifecta13":uxz46aad said:
gravel":uxz46aad said:
Sorry for the delay; forgot where I put this comment. I will definitely be in attendance and will do my best to honor the distant brothers. As it gets nearer, I'm getting genuinely excited. Cannot wait, and I do hope to run into some brothers on the show floor. Sadly, I can only make Saturday this year, but with a bit of pre-planning will try to catch at least 2-3 days next year.
:cheers:

As a former resident of Pontiac before I smoked pipes, I look forward to enjoying the show vicariously through you.

I'd love to be able to go to the Chicago Pipe Show, not least for which Paul (Larrysson) is making some absolutely fantastic pipes for the show this year, makes me wish I was rich, I'd buy every single one of them and give them out to my mates as gifts, oh well, back to reality, later guys.

Saturday for me usually starts after breakfast. With me headed for the smoking tent prior to the show opening in the Mega Center. Then I take my time and go in to the show after it's opened and the line at the door has cleared out. I take my time and bounce back and forth between the show, the tent, and stuffing goodies in the car. The main event for me on Saturday has been the silent auction. That usually ends sometime near 3pm. Always someone willing to share part of a table to chat in the smoking tent.

Ok. One week from today we will be in the last few hours of the pipe making seminar. One week from tomorrow morning the pre show will run on Friday. Look for the welcome buffet that evening. Always a superb selection of nicely seasoned and delicious foods.

I spend a fair bit of time in the smoking tent. I am not too much of a night owl. So if you think you see me, say hi.