2013 Chicago Pipe Show

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. A couple sand pits appeared. The one on the shank appeared right during the last buff and wax. Yep, goes clear into the airway. My fault for trying to get that curved effect to the top of the shank and made it a bit thin. Then the sand pit appeared. Just my luck. I will fill it and it will smoke just fine. Fairly light in weight. I stained it after 100 grit sanding with a purple stain. That gave me a nice contrast in the grain as I sanded the surface stain away.

At 9am.

00111.jpg
[/url][/img]

At noon, really busy.

00410.jpg
[/url][/img]

I didn't buy a thing, but lunch today. Found I have expensive tastes. Will look seriously tomorrow.

Said hi to Doc Watson. Many others from past shows and met some new people. If you wandered by that first round table in the smoking tent, you passed me by.

Looks like fun. :cheers: For those of us that can't be there, thanks for updates & pic's. Looks like something to add to the to-do list.

Keep the updates coming Carlos! :cheers:

Was uncle Peter in on the carving seminar this year? Or did you just have it in your mind to recreate your favorite smoker?

Puff Daddy":urfz4nrf said:
Keep the updates coming Carlos! :cheers:

Was uncle Peter in on the carving seminar this year? Or did you just have it in your mind to recreate your favorite smoker?

I am told that Peter checked himself into hospital. Possible pneumonia was mentioned. Hope he gets over it soon.

Just thought I would see how close I could make something similar. No way for me to engineer the bowl and airway as Peter does it, as these were pre-drilled. I would not know how to do that anyway. Lots to learn yet.

You other guys can post in here also! :sunny:

Lets do some pics.

The Mega Center on Saturday.

00211.jpg
[/url][/img]

00311.jpg
[/url][/img]

00411.jpg
[/url][/img]

Oh, so what did I get in the silent auction?

A Paolo Becker "canoe paddle".

02310.jpg
[/url][/img]

02410.jpg
[/url][/img]

A Lasse Skovgaard.

02211.jpg
[/url][/img]

Almost identical to one I got two years ago, another Peter Heeschen sandblast P pipe.

02510.jpg
[/url][/img]

:cheers: This is awesome for people like myself that have never been to a pipe show, I almost feel like I'm there. Thank you sir!

What Clay said: thanks, Carlos! And very, very nicely done on your acquisitions, especially that Canoe Paddle; I've never seen anything like it, but just going off a couple of pictures I have to say it's one of the coolest designs I've yet seen. Enjoy!

Also, I think yours turned out beautifully--can't believe that was just a day's labor!

GrampaGrossbart":t9f1ydou said:
Also, I think yours turned out beautifully--can't believe that was just a day's labor!

Two days for me. A lot of hand sanding. Being better with the belt/disc sanders could speed things up a lot.

I cannot stress enough how much of a great value this pipe making seminar is. If anyone is interested email Brian Ruthenberg in December. Spaces are limited. Always some great carvers on hand to assist and advise.

Tobaccos. Some as inexpensive as $5 a tin.

GL Pease Navigator (they didn't have any 8oz tin ready yet. Coming real soon.)
C&D Morning Drive Time
C&D Lunchtime Blues
C&D Guilford Flake

The $5 tins (All with some age on them)

C&D Cross-Eyed Cricket (three tins)
C&D Haunted Bookshop
H&H Frency's Sunzabitches
GL Pease Robusto

7oz bags of unprocessed whole leaf

2005 crop year Cyprian Latakia
2004 Crop Year Basma
2003 Crop Year Yenidje
2000 Crop year Bursa

Carlos":mridxa34 said:
Oh, so what did I get in the silent auction?

Almost identical to one I got two years ago, another Peter Heeschen sandblast P pipe.

02510.jpg
[/url][/img]
So it was you that got the Heeschen! Your bid was saved by the bell on that little guy :) I was sad that he couldn't be at the show, as I was really looking forward to seeing more of his work in person, but the wife and I ended up with a couple nice pipes. I'll have to post pics up after I get unpacked. Congrats on your new additions!