A confession. Forgive me father for I have sinned.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
I am smoking 1Q and liking it :fpalm:

All I wanted was to try a pouch of Amphora. Found a place that had it cheap, and in looking around I wondered what other interesting things they might have. Some Sutliff Edgeworth match, OK, been wanting to try that. Oh look, 1Q, I haven't smoked that in a dozen years, back when I got started in pipes at the old (now long gone) Tinderbox in Sacramento. Why not.

I expected hot air and tongue bite with marshmallows. There's marshmallows, but it's actually pretty nice. Packed it lightly, sipping very slowly as I expected a steamed tongue. Pretty flavorful! Perhaps there was actually nothing wrong with this stuff back when they recommended it and I was just a foolishly greedy puffer. Probably.

A few Hail Marys and Our Fathers, and I'm going to keep puffing.

I snag some Amphora for giggles, I'm actually enjoying it. It might be my "i'm bored and don't really want to think about what I'm smoking" smoke for a little while.

As I understand it, 1Q is allegedly a best seller. A lot of B&Ms rename it as their house blend I've noticed too.

You are not alone!

I like 1Q. I bought about 4 ounces of it a few years back, smoked through it and had some very enjoyable smokes.

Have I bought more since? No. Will I ever again? Probably not. But I did enjoy smoking it while I had some in stock.

I occasionally jump into a packet of 7 Seas (white). I find the pouch note to be most agreeable when I'm in the mood for an aro.

There you go, I've said it.

I've been liking aromatics quite a bit lately myself. Is there something going around?

Re the 1Q: The first thing (whatever it was) I ever purchased from Smoking Pipes had a small pouch of 1Q enclosed as a freebie. Thought it was the best pipe tobacco I ever tasted, then never bought any, ever. Weird how fickle our tastes are--or at least mine.

Brewdude":47wohymf said:
Where's Father Tom when you need him?!

:cherry:

Cheers,

RR
Checking in...

Go in peace and pray for me, a sinner.

Someone gave me some Coffee flavored tobacco for Christmas. It is not really the thing I would buy on purpose, but it is pleasant and a decent smoke.

Fr_Tom":0kbc0lku said:
Brewdude":0kbc0lku said:
Where's Father Tom when you need him?!

:cherry:

Cheers,

RR
Checking in...

Go in peace and pray for me, a sinner.

Someone gave me some Coffee flavored tobacco for Christmas. It is not really the thing I would buy on purpose, but it is pleasant and a decent smoke.
Well, if it's ok for the Padre...

While we're all in a confessional mood, I'd better come clean as well. I've been enjoying a sampler ounce of McClelland's Matured Cake I received about a month ago. Brought it along on a March break camping trip as I'd be around sensitive noses, and have pulled it out several times since. Thank goodness it's nearly gone! :shock:

I doubt I'll actually order any, but it's been a nice early-Spring diversion....

Ozark Wizard":jqzhw5ra said:
As I understand it, 1Q is allegedly a best seller.
THE best selling blend for many years running (talking LBs sold here). Not only is it common to find it renamed as a house blend, but it has also been the foundation to many blends at b&m. I worked at a store where it was an ingredient in at least half the bulk selection, many of which it was the majority of the blend. I believe it is also Captain Black white.

Zeno Marx":eorh00t3 said:
 ...I believe it is also Captain Black white.
I'm not doubting you, exactly, but isn't CB White, uh...stickier? That's my recollection, admittedly defective.

Heathens! I'm certainly guilty of similar transgressions but I know better than to admit to them.

I have a jar of it that I break out when I'm going to be around women who are known to bust my balls lol. I have found that if you take a few slices of G&H brown Irish X and mix it together in your hand before filling your pipe it works well to give it strength while keeping the nice smell.

Jevverrett":mgars2sq said:
I have a jar of it that I break out when I'm going to be around women who are known to bust my balls lol. I have found that if you take a few slices of G&H brown Irish X and mix it together in your hand before filling your pipe it works well to give it strength while keeping the nice smell.
My assumption is that this was the same inspiration for Lane's HGL. Take the foundations of 1Q and add latakia etc to give an expected room note and simultaneously provide some tasty flavor. It is said that HGL was developed for Mr.Lane himself, and a further assumption would be so he could smoke it in corporate settings in confidence.

Never tried 1Q, or any of the Cpt's blends. Nor virtually any of the other OTC pouch 'baccys, 'cept for the likes of PA and CH and they aren't aros. Think I might've tried a cherry blend once, prolly Middeltons, but don't have a clear memory of it. Guess I didn't like it...heh!

Now that I'm thinking about it, back around '01 or so when the TB was going strong in my area and I was a regular attendee, they had bulk containers of various pipe weed on the counter. And they were all available for sampling.

Don't remember the name of this particular blend (apparently they gave it their own names) but one day I asked to sample this "something-or-another" and was told that it had either a coconut or marshmallow topping ( my mis-remembering here, not what they told me).

Anyhow it was somewhat pleasant, cool, didn't bite, but rather bland overall and not terribly interesting. In retrospect I now wonder if this could've been 1Q?

The only answer is for me to suck it up (pun intended) and get in a pouch to see for myself, now that this thread has surfaced.

Nope, I don't define myself as an aro guy but am certainly open to new experiences. And be careful of what you ask for!

:silent:

Cheers,

RR

When I used to hike and backpack a lot, in the beginning of taking a pipe with me, I would take 1Q, but I stopped when I gave it any thought. It was inexpensive. I could share it with others. It wouldn't likely bother anyone at a fire. If I lost a pouch, I'd be better for it. But it is on the sticky side. It makes pipes gross. And my friends and family would respond to good flavor and a more unique experience over a more accessible odor. At that point, I started bringing robust Englishes. Nothing but positive feedback since that choice. People ask for a toke on the pipe, and I love to oblige.

Hey- I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not good. I mean that in the nicest way possible haha. It's what I call a cob goblin, meaning I don't want to put it into a briar I use for other things.

I like it once in awhile and unfortunately I have many lifetimes of it stocked in the basement. Back in the day when when the kids were little and we lived a small house it was a family friendly smoke that kept me puffing inside. :shock: