A gentleman's wardrobe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlock999

Reaction score
I was having a conversation with some band mates about acceptable footwear recently. I was troubled by the untidy appearance of our group. One fellow was wearing a pair of loafers that appeared to be made out of plastic, and another had on some suede sneakers. To me, neither were acceptable, considering the fact that we were all wearing suits. Both said that those were the nicest shoes they owned. "How is that possible?", I thought. My advice to them was to go to Florsheim and get themselves a decent pair of men's shoes. Not pimp shoes, or something faddish. Just some classic men's footwear. I need to admit that I've been known as somewhat of a "dandy" in my day, but what is going on that so many seem incapable of dressing appropriately? Wow...I really do have cabin fever today.

Beam me up Scotty...

It's totally acceptable to wear Converse Chucks with a suit these days ya know.... I mean, I wouldn't cuz I'm old as dirt, but for boys in a band, a suit with a scarf instead of a tie, some Chucks, an eccentric hat.... You could give off a dressy appearance while being somewhat rebellious and stay within a modest budget.

I wouldn't wear them with a suit but I got these boots for xmas, they are great!

5328633059_b10986bfbf_b.jpg

My favorite brand of shoes is Johnston and Murphy. Even though I almost never wear a suit, I wear their leather shoes several times a week, often with jeans. They are very comfortable and durable. For everyday casual wear however, I prefer my Puma suede sneakers.
shoes10.jpg

Puff Daddy":hy7xt8kx said:
It's totally acceptable to wear Converse Chucks with a suit these days ya know.... I mean, I wouldn't cuz I'm old as dirt, but for boys in a band, a suit with a scarf instead of a tie, some Chucks, an eccentric hat.... You could give off a dressy appearance while being somewhat rebellious and stay within a modest budget.
Absolutely! I agree. It's just that we were going for kind of a "sophisticated" cocktail lounge kind of look. That, and we're not that young either. A few years ago I joined a band full of youngsters who were really into the 60's mod scene. The drummer was still in high school, but these kids "got it". They dressed better than I did.
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm a big fan of Johnston and Murphy as well. For the money they come damn close to "high end" shoes. Most I have owned feel broken in the minute you put them on and the craftsmanship is pretty decent. I have spent as much or more on crappier shoes but I've never spent less on better.

All my dress shoes are Johnston & Murphy as well. Once a month, my local mens specialty store gets in 100 pairs for $49.95 each

Dang that's a great price! I don't think I've ever paid under 100. Of course their various lines vary. I'd like a pair of their hand made.

jhuggett":3d4vi1gx said:
I'm a big fan of Johnston and Murphy as well. For the money they come damn close to "high end" shoes. Most I have owned feel broken in the minute you put them on and the craftsmanship is pretty decent. I have spent as much or more on crappier shoes but I've never spent less on better.
I'm a J&M fan as well.

@JackStraw: Those are great! I came very close to getting a pair of Frye square toe harness boots in that same color.

Man I used to love Florsheim shoes. Still have 2 pairs of Imperials that I bought in the mid-1990's, have had them re-soled about 3 times and I still wear them somewhat regular. The current shoes are nothing like what they used to be. Problem is finding a cobbler who has the chops to do the proper job on them when they need new leather!

Hunter5117":1xe9mkaz said:
Man I used to love Florsheim shoes. Still have 2 pairs of Imperials that I bought in the mid-1990's, have had them re-soled about 3 times and I still wear them somewhat regular. The current shoes are nothing like what they used to be. Problem is finding a cobbler who has the chops to do the proper job on them when they need new leather!
So true! I have a pair of older Royal Imperials myself, and the quality is a notch above.

i wear hush puppy boots made in my hometown of michigan for two reasons.

One. My shoe size is 16 wide and finding good quality shoes/ boots for me that are under 100 dollars is nearly impossible.

Two. I am a mechanic/ diesel technician and need leather work boots.

ZombieWeinerDog":1014i45e said:
i wear hush puppy boots made in my hometown of michigan for two reasons.

One. My shoe size is 16 wide and finding good quality shoes/ boots for me that are under 100 dollars is nearly impossible.

Two. I am a mechanic/ diesel technician and need leather work boots.
Wow, what do you do for dress shoes? :shock:

i have a dress/casual hushpuppy that i wear. I dont dress up often, except for interviews, church, etc.

I've been upgrading my shoe closet recently.

I got a pair of decent condition Allen Edmonds Park Avenues to wear at my wedding, and recently picked up a pair of fair condition Alden Wingtip Oxfords for $2 at my local thrift store.

A past grab was a pair of Deiter Kucklekorn Derby shoes for $2. They retail for something like $500, and I didn't know what I was getting until I'd been wearing them for a few months. Some people have all the luck. ;)

I love thrift stores. I've found some cool stuff over the years. It's probably a Los Angeles thing, but a lot of the thrift stores/assistance league shops have closed around here. I used to like taking little "thrifting" road trips, hitting all the stores I could find. I made it all the way to Tulsa, OK once with a friend. We had quite a haul, going through Flagstaff, Amarillo, Lubbock, Ok City, Odessa, Santa Fe, Tuscon. We also met steel guitar legend Speedy West in Broken Arrow. Had breakfast with him and stopped by his house to see his memorabilia from a long career. That was a cool trip, and I still have a number of things that I found, like some Merle Travis 78's. We made it back to L.A just in time to see the Collins Kids perform at the Palomino in N. Hollywood!

Harlock999":zbozdo36 said:
@JackStraw: Those are great! I came very close to getting a pair of Frye square toe harness boots in that same color.
Funny - my gf's brother got the exact boots you are talking about, they look great. I am very impressed with the quality of mine.

Jack Straw":9dwp6msl said:
Harlock999":9dwp6msl said:
Funny - my gf's brother got the exact boots you are talking about, they look great. I am very impressed with the quality of mine.
Yeah, I really wanted a pair, but I think I ended up buying a couple pipes instead...

About a zillion years ago I snagged a pair of Frye square toed 'chukka' shoes/boots (whatever) fully lined...and wore them for YEARS til they finally gave up the ghost (I think I'd re-soled them like 5 times). They were one of the best pair of casual shoes I've ever had.

But what I really wanted to post...

Does anybody except for 'collect' fedoras? I've got a moss green Stetson, a black Builtmore (Canadian), a bunch of Akubra hats (wild hare felt) for the outdoors...and two Beaver customs made by Art Fawcett. Art is THE hat maker for Hollywood I guess. If you saw a movie made in the past 10 or so years that is set in the 40's...Art most likely made the hats.

His site, and then links to hats that are nearly identical to mine:

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/index.htm

Savoy_side.jpg

Jazzman_1.jpg

The Akubra hats I have are like these:

1622chl_lg5.jpg

1610fwnl.jpg

Fashion-Stylemaster-AcornFawn-Preview.jpg

Country-Coolibah-RegencyFawn-preview.jpg

Anyway...they get me through the sun and rain and a party here and there...stylin'! lol

Nice collection! I don't have any fedoras, but I have a few vintage cowboy hats, but I don't know the exact styles.

Here are a pair of wingtips I only wear when I get married, divorced or go on job interviews. I may never wear them again!

Or, maybe I'll sport them at my funeral!