A gentleman's wardrobe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are two types of lace ups: Blutcher (the top where the shoe is laced is split all the way) and the Balmoral (split from top to bottom in a V shape). If you have a wide foot or a higher arch to the top of your foot, try a Blutcher. The Park Avenue is a Balmoral and can really hurt and seem too tight across the top of your foot if you have the high arch I mentioned.

Thanks for the info on the distinction, but I already knew that ;)! The problem is blutchers are more casual, and I was looking for something that would be more formal. I have a few pair of longwings and other blutchers.

For those who may be interested, blutchers are also known as derbies, and balmorals as oxfords. Most shoe companies in lower price brackets call them both oxfords. The difference is in the laces.

Example here disagrees with terminology above, but shows basic pictures.

Another fan of Johnston & Murphy's. I have worn them for years. I'm old enough not to be faddish and enjoy a classic look when dressed up.

That's what I enjoy about being a biker. Just a pair of tattered jeans, a t-shirt with the sleeves cut out, and a pair of steel toes.

It's a minimalistic lifestyle, except for my Harley maintaince and my English pipes! 8)

Bringing it back to footwear.....this is the best pair of boots I've worn to this point. I work for "Roy Rogers Restaurants", back in the day (70-80's) we wore western boots, so I've gone thru a lot of fine boots. These Justin Ropers in black are the most comfortable shoe or boot I've had on my feet. I love the low heel and they broke in like butter. You can get them in numerous leathers and colors and they are priced around $100. I ride British motorcycles and a low heel boot is part of a proper motorcycle enthusiasts attire, imo....

I should add, I have these in leather soles for dress wear and use the rubber sole version when on the bike.

3170.jpg

Dutch":q96ls6gy said:
That's what I enjoy about being a biker. Just a pair of tattered jeans, a t-shirt with the sleeves cut out, and a pair of steel toes.
You just described a classic American look!

Marlon is lounging on the proper motorcycle!
Harlock999":vbey5j7f said:
Dutch":vbey5j7f said:
You just described a classic American look!

riff raff":hltzv2iu said:
I agree! Don't know exactly which model he's testing, but the Bonneville is a "Triumph" of British engineering!

1950 Thunderbird, the precursor to the Bonneville.
Harlock999":3y2ccurv said:
riff raff":3y2ccurv said:
I agree! Don't know exactly which model he's testing, but the Bonneville is a "Triumph" of British engineering!

Years ago I found these western pants at a flea market. Made by the Nudie, the legendary cowboy tailor, these pants fit better than any other I've ever worn. They're from the early '50's, and still in great shape. American's used to make some great quality stuff. Decided to sell them recently, as I'm coming to grips with the reality that I can't save everything, and vintage clothes need to be properly cared for. I remember driving past Nudies shop in N.Hollywood many times, but now it's just another memory of old Los Angeles.

God bless Triumph cycles. 8) As much a fast, delightful fashion accessory for your ass than anything.

I'm glad Riff Raff brought up Justin Boots. I've never heard of any of the shoes you guys are talking about other than the Double H. I have the pair pictured. I guess for a southern boy a good pair of square toe western boots is all I need. I have 7 pairs.

Only a lace up shoe is acceptable with a suit. In fact, just a lace up slipper. In old school speak, a shoe was ankle high, and a slipper was the low cut version we all wear now, although still lace up.

I don't wear sneakers, flip-flops or anything like that and I haven't worn shoes, meaning any dad burn thing with laces on them since I was 12 or 13. I do wear what I feel is appropriate for every day or going out on the town and such. And have them in basic black for occasions like funerals and weddings. There made well and unlike most shoes nowadays will out last most my children and can be taken in to be resoled and heeled when worn.
1940sBoots.jpg