A gentleman's wardrobe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greenleaf":jzsnvmk1 said:
Badass jacket. I used to like leather jackets until I switched to sport coats about ten years ago. Blazers can be worn in just about any weather and have the most functional pocket system, and all the pockets are usually the same no matter what the sport coat. Plus, they look so damn sharp and I love dress clothes. Besides, I got them all from thrift stores for less than four dollars each and you'd never guess by looking.
I agree! I'm going to finally get around to selling off some thrift store sport coats as well. Over the years I've accumulated quite a few, and they're just sitting around getting old.

The last time I wore that leather jacket was for a Ramones cover band I was in. We played in Spain last year, and due to travel constraints, it was the only jacket I brought. It was cold and raining the whole time, so I basically lived in that thing for a week. I was really sick of it after a while.

And I also had to wear a wig...

As an "old fart" with really big bunions, I am totally committed to SAS slip-ons....They have lots of room around the top of the toe, and the leather stretches out to shape around the bunions...Not stylish, but so what!?!?! I tried on a pair of my old Johnston & Murphy wing-tips a few months ago, and could hardly walk in them!!!!

NeroWolfe":hb8r8i8d said:
As an "old fart" with really big bunions, I am totally committed to SAS slip-ons....They have lots of room around the top of the toe, and the leather stretches out to shape around the bunions...Not stylish, but so what!?!?! I tried on a pair of my old Johnston & Murphy wing-tips a few months ago, and could hardly walk in them!!!!
If you like those, and you can find 'em, I highly recommend the Josef Seibel slip-ons for the same purpose. Roomy at the toes, soft euro-style cork bed soles, and astoundingly resistant to the elements. A little Frankensteinish, but I swear by them for yardwork.

I lucked into finding a pair of Allen Edmonds moc toe kiltie loafers for half price this weekend. I'm a happy man.

Are SAS slip-ons thoswe colorful rubberish shoes with all the holes in them? The sight of those just pisses me off in a way I can't describe. Flip-flops and sandals really goddamn infuriate me.

Greenleaf":cwx5050h said:
Are SAS slip-ons thoswe colorful rubberish shoes with all the holes in them? The sight of those just pisses me off in a way I can't describe. Flip-flops and sandals really goddamn infuriate me.
Those are Crocs, which are unacceptable if you are above the age of 8 and not a line cook (they still look horrible, but you're not wearing them for looks at that point.)

Greenleaf":fl5g3hl2 said:
100% agreement on this one! Being that cargo shorts and flip flops are standard day/night wear in southern California, I'm basically disgusted on a regular basis.

Harlock999":1nvyk1ym said:
Being that cargo shorts and flip flops are standard day/night wear in southern California, I'm basically disgusted on a regular basis.
Ha ha.

Don't even get me started on the citizens who leave their houses wearing pajamas and UGG boots. Uggh...

Here are my boots, it took me a while to find a quality pair that I really liked, where high, and were comfortable.
Double H
4004.jpg

These are my daily wear that look good in casual pants, Dr Marten, which are very comfortable and remind me of my high school days, but acceptable in my job as a manager in a white collar gig:
1225_1_.jpg

Nice! I like the square two harness boots, I've been looking for a pair myself. The Doc's look comfortable. I have a couple pairs of Clarks that treat my feet nicely at work.

I have tried many times, but Clarks just do not work for me. My feet are normal width,normal arch, and no over pronation but I always feel like I have a pair of ice skates on.

That being said, they make good looking shoes and I was wearing a pair on Saturday as we headed out to the South Beach Food and Wine Festival, with a pair of linen pants and Tommy Bahama shirt.

Obelus":mt3igusr said:
I might, however, be the last man on the planet to regularly wear

brooks10.jpg
A truss? Most guys throw those away after their hernia heals.

(I kid, but I love sock garters, but the prices I've found are outrageous... where do you get yours?)

Paul Stuart makes some sharp grters, in the Brooks price range.I guess the theory is you'll need one, maybe two pairs until they wear out, so buy once, cry once.

Gentlemen, I work for a clothing company and to avoid it sounding like an add for my company I won't venture the name. yadda yadda.

I deal in 5 lines of shoes, Allen Edmonds, Cole Haan, J&M, Ferragamo and Zelli. I think they all make quality shoes but $ for $ (even though they are usually around the $300 range priced normally), I LOVE Allen Edmonds shoes. about 90% of what I own are AE's. I was a bad boy the other day and ordered 4 pairs for myself.

The best advice I can give for taking care of your shoes is use cedar shoe trees. Make sure to have a set for each pair of shoes. They will greatly extend the life of your kicks. Put them in right after you take of your shoes and leave 'em in till you wear them again. Benefits = shoes retain their shape better and avoid "smile" lines across the front and the cedar wicks the moisture out of the shoe faster. If you knew how much we actually sweat in our shoes everyday you'd probably puke.

Brandon

at Styleforum, AE shoes are considered the cheapest 'real' shoes you can get. I have a pair that I bought used, but they don't fit me too well--I need a wider size. From what I hear, though, whatever last the Park Avenues is a bit narrow. Maybe I'll have to find a different shoe altogether.