An explanation. Of sorts...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Partly right partly wrong.

Let's not kid ourselves, inhaling smoke (and you do whether you 'inhale' or not) is not healthy.
Natural tobacco IS far healthier than man altered fer sure.

Fully aware a little smoke goes in. I avoid it the best I can, and do so pretty well. Although, as I've mentioned, since I've been piping, my asthma has simply not been a problem. I'm off my inhaler for the first time in almost a decade. We weren't made to inhale smoke...then again, we weren't made to live in sterile-, particle-, bacteria- and virus-free environments, either. Sometimes the body likes to work, all in good moderation. I got sick far less working at UPS, which was a pretty dirty place with lots of stuff handled by lots of folks, dirt, spit, exhaust, etc. *shrug*

Just preaching to the choir here, I suspect.

8)

Rob_In_MO":0lgezhdn said:
Hey Kyle - Copy/Paste this!

the_bird.gif

:lol!:

Kyle Weiss":fgucz7zi said:
Fully aware a little smoke goes in. I avoid it the best I can, and do so pretty well. Although, as I've mentioned, since I've been piping, my asthma has simply not been a problem. I'm off my inhaler for the first time in almost a decade. We weren't made to inhale smoke...then again, we weren't made to live in sterile-, particle-, bacteria- and virus-free environments, either. Sometimes the body likes to work, all in good moderation. I got sick far less working at UPS, which was a pretty dirty place with lots of stuff handled by lots of folks, dirt, spit, exhaust, etc. *shrug*

Just preaching to the choir here, I suspect.

8)
I have mild asthma that seems to be seasonal - kicks in when winter temps set in, and again when summer temps set in. I did a little reading a while back about treating asthma symptoms with different breathing techniques (i.e. taking a really deep breath and the forcing it out through pursed lips has some sort of pressurizing effect on your lungs that supposedly helps). I wonder if pipe smoking may work in a similar fashion. I have noticed that in recent years my asthma hasn't been too bad, but I never associated it with the pipe.

This is true. I tend to hold my breath as I smoke, allowing the smoke to roll across my tongue and out through my nose, then exhale and jettison the whole puff. Asthma tends to clog up (and in severe cases, scar) the outermost, littlest "fingers" of the lung's system, and a good deep breath holding it and exhaling it slowly does pressurize the system. Kind of like a balloon that sticks together when you first start blowing it up.

Whatever the case may be, I've seen a remarkable improvement in my lung function overall. Of course, trying not to inhale any of the smoke as much as possible. I find my lungs a bit sore after hanging out in the Tinder Box, which the guys seem to get some joy out of hot-boxing the place--there's me, opening the door to get some fresh air. I do prefer to smoke outside for that reason, among others.

Winter usually affects me asthmatically due to mold spores that prefer cooler, moist temperatures (particularly in bathrooms and in the walls), stale air, and wood smoke from fireplaces. Summer I usually get a respite from the heat and dry air, but can also be affected by the desert's natural cycle of plants blooming in late August through October. I love October for all reasons around here, except the pollen. When I go back east for whatever reason, I have an inhaler on me at all times. There's just more moisture, mold and plant rot there--so the desert has been relatively kind to my lungs.

Also why I can't have cats/dogs/horses/goats/platypus as pets.

8)

I have mild asthma that seems to be seasonal - kicks in when winter temps set in, and again when summer temps set in. I did a little reading a while back about treating asthma symptoms with different breathing techniques (i.e. taking a really deep breath and the forcing it out through pursed lips has some sort of pressurizing effect on your lungs that supposedly helps). I wonder if pipe smoking may work in a similar fashion. I have noticed that in recent years my asthma hasn't been too bad, but I never associated it with the pipe.
My experience (having been diagnosed with it , on top of allergies, back before they had inhalers & such, keeping my family up at night in the summer from wheezing so loud with it) is that :

Either it's something you "outgrow"

and/or it has an emotional component/is an emotional problem that shows up physically. People get panicked, trying to inhale enough air when the problem is they haven't breathed the old air out. So the 10% they can add to the top isn't doing it. But they're too panicked to stop trying to get more into lungs that are already too full. Chronically over-expanded chests.

Once they've breathed all . . . the . . . way . . . out, they're amazed at how deep a breath they can draw using their intercostal muscles properly.

I'm not claiming it's that simple for everybody. But I get by OK in a house with seven cats I'm allergic to, on top of dust & pollen allergies & cigarettes to boot. Mind & -- ultimately -- composure over matter works for me.

FWIW (if anything)

:face: + :cat: X7

Family history of severe asthma for me--definitely not "panic asthma," as I've heard the term coined. Had the stupid condition to a greater or lesser degree since I can remember. Cold air, dogs, cats, pollen, mold spores, excessive smoke, dust, dander, pretty much anything that can suspend in air and end up in my lungs. :lol:

I'm allergic to my chinchilla and have to wear homemade protective gear, despite being on two medications to control allergies. Been eight years around her; never got worse, never got better.

I know for some people they get used to their environments, I always wished I was one of 'em. My liver probably does, too.

When I smoked cigarettes, I never had an asthma attack, but I felt like sh*t in entirely different ways that didn't equalize or rationalize my continuing deathsticks. Ten years later, the pipe is surrogate to that vice, but in an entirely different and reasonable manner. No diminished lung capacity, no nervousness, no sore throat, no bloody phlegm, and costs a hell of a lot less. If that ever changes, away the pipe goes.

Simpleman, welcome back.
Same here. I'm attending weekly PTSD counciling and have cronic depression. I read the forum most everyday but it very hard to contribute anything. FWIW.

Bill

I've been away for some time myself, so I haven't had the pleasure of making your aquaintance, Simpleman. But it sounds like you have things on the right track, and that's a good thing.

gospelman":z6k1w39j said:
I've been away for some time myself, so I haven't had the pleasure of making your aquaintance, Simpleman. But it sounds like you have things on the right track, and that's a good thing.
Nice to meet you. Yea, things are going much better now. I'm feeling like my old self again.

Thanks to the rest of you guys who have welcomed me back too. You guys have all been great and it's good to be in your company once again.

Probably one of the most genuine (and weirdest) welcoming back I've read, so... yeah, par for the course here at BoB. You know it's real. :cheers: :lol:

8)